Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old August 30th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I think it's probably safer to say that the nerds only games expanded, and he nature of 'family/social' games expanded too to use some mechanics and graphics/subject matter from 'our' genres.

So, more like 'different but matured and expanded into niches for appeal to different audiences', much like other 20th century media like TV, film and computer games.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 08:17 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Well...the gaming world has seen a resurgence due to a much lower cost of entry (anyone can generate a PDF and upload it to a variety of online game distributors), the growing popularity of role playing games in general (now it is all cool to play those games with the odd dice - there are even professional dungeon masters, and companies hire them for team building!); and the rise of Kickstarter and other similar sites where it is easy to gauge interest and create games.

Yes, a lot of the newer games do not have the intricacy and complex simulations (I played, and lost, a lot of the old Avalon Hill games. Mind you the games took a few weeks to play at times...). But there is now seeming rise of "bring back the old stuff". OSR RPGs are amazingly popular, old games are being brought back (just got my Triplanetary game - HUGE board! - and looking forward to playing that; and soon The Fantasy Trip will be on KS. Still have my Melee, Advance Melee and Advanced Wizard. Thought I had TFT but either I gave it away, never had it, or lost )

So there are new games that can have the same complexity and simulation level - I recently saw one on KS for some specific battle in the 1700s. Limited and they maxed out on the copies they were developing.

You just have to look - old school games and gaming are available.
Thanks for that. As per my previous post earlier in the thread, the genre trend today (at lest at the last few cons I went to) were Victorian to Post Victorian fantasy, and fantasy derivatives. Which is interesting if you're into that, but I'm a gamer of the 70s and 80s, and, like you say, I guess I have to dig around for what I want.

I also think the demographics have changed some. There's a larger inclusion of females and younger players than ever before, which I think is a plus. But again, me personally, I'm a Car Wars, Grav Armor, SFB and Traveller type. Traveller is all inclusive. You can be any "race", sex or ethnicity in Traveller, but when the game went to print in 77 most gamers were high school and college age males, and like a lot of grognards here, we hail from that "milieu".

So, my tastes, I guess, are relics of an era long gone. I don't see any high-tech armor/tank games, nor "empire building" scifi warsims for table tops ("Second Empire" from the late 70s being such an animal).

I'm done looking. I know what I like, what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, but now I can't.

Pathfinder looks interesting, but it strikes me as having some of original D&D's shortcomings, which I've mentioned. SJ Games is going to push out a new version of CW. Why, I'm not sure. I think the old game is fine. It just needs a few tweaks and a reissue.

Oh well.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:46 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

other discussion
Old September 4th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
I think it's probably safer to say that the nerds only games expanded, and he nature of 'family/social' games expanded too to use some mechanics and graphics/subject matter from 'our' genres.

So, more like 'different but matured and expanded into niches for appeal to different audiences', much like other 20th century media like TV, film and computer games.
That seems likely. As per previous posts, at the last cons I went to I saw whole families fighting with starships and casting spells or swinging swords. It was really cool to see.

The Pathfinder and D&D wings were jammed pack. And it was all ages and both sexes, not just the pre-teen to adult males in decades past. And again, there's a higher degree of emphasis on spell or mystique oriented stuff, not neccesarily classic age or medieval era fantasy stuff, but some steam-era magical stuff. Not my cup of tea, but it was good to see all the same.

And I should add that tactical warsims were still strongly represented. I saw a couple of tank games or WW2 games. Maybe a US Civil War game, and Age of Aces with planes on sticks. A few others I can't remember.
Old September 5th, 2019, 05:36 PM

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

The convention I go to added MechWarrior pods a few years ago. The guys who wrote the software and designed the maps for these particular devices are the ones who run them.

We typically have a variety of gamers for various tabletop games. Two years ago 2 small companies came in with a computer each and let people play test their game. One told me it was beta test for an MMO they were working on.
Old September 5th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRJN Citizen

I started gaming (introduced to D&D, discovered Gamma World on my own) when it was just high-school aged boys, and sometimes a girlfriend, trying to find something to do that Mom & Dad would not get upset over.
My last year at conventions, one session had a grandfather and grandkids, a teen with dad, a young adult, and me at the table. The older players guided the story through / between / around the rules and the younger ones were playing make-believe.
The games had a bit different feel, looking back on both, but everybody came out entertained - and enjoyed each other's company.