Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 27th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thot View Post
So you two would propose to change the adjustment of the jump drive in order to get a more 3I-like result? How could that be achieved without making the delta V of starships basically nonexistent?
Probably the easiest way would be to disallow the jump into empty space (maybe the cooling down needs gravity, as in 2300AD, or something like this)

Quote:
But isn't it conceivable that a chemical rocket engine will be cheaper to build than a gravitic drive?
The chemical engine, probably, the whole ship, not so sure (at least to compensate the increased shipping tonnage needed for the fuel).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old August 27th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
I am considering doing a Mongoose TAS PDF with this variant OTU. Would anyone be interested in an elaborate document about the concept of the CR3I?
I'm afraid you will have (at best) a hard time to convert 3I to non-gravitic setting, as it is quite dependent on gravitics and the jump as it is described.

That does not mean you cannot make a very interesting ATU with your chemical rockets setting...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old August 27th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
I am considering doing a Mongoose TAS PDF with this variant OTU. Would anyone be interested in an elaborate document about the concept of the CR3I?
Yes, I find the whole concept fascinating.
Old August 27th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Thot Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
I'm afraid you will have (at best) a hard time to convert 3I to non-gravitic setting, as it is quite dependent on gravitics and the jump as it is described.

That does not mean you cannot make a very interesting ATU with your chemical rockets setting...
That is already in the making (for some idea about how the politics might end up, look into the "An Old Galaxy" thread). Currently I have 39 A4-sized pages (some 14,000 words; without illustrations safe for the map of local space around Sol), with more to come. It is being developed in German, but there will be an English version, too. It'll probably be based either on the MgTrav1 OGL or the Cepheus engine, and does contain conversion rules for using all kinds of existing Traveller spaceships.

But the CR3I might also be worth doing. And I am also thinking about doing a Chemical rocket Star Wars and Chemical Rocket Star Trek version (saucer section is for gravity generation!). But those would be purely free fan works and thus much smaller, I guess.

Aynway, many people seem to believe that history would turn out totally different if you remove gravitics and the jump fuel requirement. Maybe that idea isn't as good as I thought.
Old July 12th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Thot Citizen

It's funny what came of this. I made up my own setting, Raketenstern, that uses some of the premises of this thread.

No third Imperium, though, but the technology and infrastructure is basically as discussed here. Seems to work fine, I'd say.

Last edited by Thot; July 12th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: complying with rule 7
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I have adapted a lot of what has been in this thread for my next Culture campaign - the PCs are off to a world that has discovered relic hypergate technology - similar to a jump gate in concept - but are stuck with near future levels of spaceship technology.

The world in question is expanding into its local pocket of stars but is unaware of the much more advanced civilizations in the galaxy at large.

The PCs have to go and find out if the world in question is ready for their introduction to the wider galaxy, or if they are yet another suicidal warmongering race.

There are of course other complications...
Old March 30th, 2019, 05:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

HanleyTucks Citizen

I like Wendell Chung's comment that a scifi authour is allowed one bit of magic technology for their scifi as a free pass.

Now, do we choose fusion drives burning 1/60th of 1kg a second to produce 9.8m/sec of change in velocity each second, Jump drives, or gravitics, hmm... It seems like the OP has chosen the second one!