Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
rhialto Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
I like the sound of it. I've been looking for a scifi game without all the Traveller bloat - one that is very well designed, includes rules for creating starships and creatures, and one that it attractive and very playable, especially space combat.

This seems to tick most of those boxes and it has a Beginners Box Set out in the spring so I am very interested to see how that looks becaue the Pathfinder Beginner Box was lovely.

I am not sure about the magic and space-goblins etc but I am seriously looking at it as a posisble replacement for playing Traveller with my family.

Not to mention its already twice as popular a game as Traveller is now (sadly in many ways). Whereas I like the gritty nature of Traveller and have always loved the guns and swords in space sort of backward feel to it I have seen Traveller becoming more scifi and less romantic with every iteration of Mongooseand I just find I cant really enjoy it anymore. So yeah looking forward to seeing what this new game is like - whether you can create whole worlds and star systems with it.
Have you checked out Stars Without Number? It might also be a viable alternative, and there's a free digital version (PDF, epub and mobi bundled together) available.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old January 2nd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Remove the bloat by going back to CT.

Trim the skill list to the bone, add an advantage/disadvantage second axis to scene resolution throws, keep boon/bane dice from MgT and just concentrate on having fun.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Cool clip.

I'm about to get deep, high minded, philosophical, and to this extent you might think me just off my rocker (as if no one thought that already).

To me, scifi in terms of popular media, seems to be an inspirational device to get young boys to think about careers dealing with law and order or security (not necessarily law enforcement).

To this extent it feels, to me at least, that Traveller has lots of earmarks for that. Well, if that's the case, okay, fine. I don't have a problem with that, but it's like from my perspective there were far more scifi fans in the 70s and 80s than there ever were fantasy fans. And yet D&D exploded (or seemingly) while scifi of various sorts, even though it was more popular, just lingered when it came to games.

And I have a good idea of why. I think scifi is a popular and powerful genre that is secretly coveted for fear of regular Joe's creating something that has a negative message in it.

Well, to me that's just not right.

Hmm, missed out on the 'D&D is satanic' scare?

I think the answer is a lot easier- scifi is most often solving by thinking, fantasy is emotions coupled with implicit permission to hack'n slash, so it's more satisfying to a greater number of people.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe View Post
Traveller in the 70's seemed more like a recruiting drive for criminals

I call it Star Noir.