Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old February 21st, 2016, 03:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
ReaverKing Citizen
Default Traveller Boardgames

I've never tried any of the Traveller boardgames. Anyone recommend one? I think I have all of them on the FFE CDs. I think I might also have purchased Power Projection, which I don't think is strictly Traveller, as it looked pretty good.

I've played a lot of Axis & Allies over the years so a similar level of complexity and abstraction would be good. I don't have any minis as that looks to be an expensive hobby. My A&A games all have plastic pieces does anyone know of plastic sifi minis?

Cheers,

Brett.
Old February 21st, 2016, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaverKing View Post
I've never tried any of the Traveller boardgames. Anyone recommend one? I think I have all of them on the FFE CDs. I think I might also have purchased Power Projection, which I don't think is strictly Traveller, as it looked pretty good.

I've played a lot of Axis & Allies over the years so a similar level of complexity and abstraction would be good. I don't have any minis as that looks to be an expensive hobby. My A&A games all have plastic pieces does anyone know of plastic sifi minis?

Cheers,

Brett.
Snapshot and Mayday are the two easiest to manually assemble.

And are my favorite two.

AHL is third, Imperium 4th. Note that Imperium was designed with oversized counters hexes.

I've never gotten to play 5FW, and have only played a partial of Dark Nebula.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 21st, 2016, 07:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaverKing View Post
Anyone recommend one?
Most of them are quiete nice and entertaiing, but I wouldn't dare to recommend you anyone without knwoing a Little more about what are you loking for (startegic/operational/tactic game, space combat/"ground" combat (undersatning ground as non-space, so tropos instead ofs starship), duration, etc...).

If you're looking for a ship-to-ship combat, quite close to CT:LBB2 taht can be played in an afternoon (even several games in a single afternoon) I'd recommend you Mayday.

If you're looking for a man-to-man tactical combat game, you can choose among Snapshoot or AHL. Snapshoot is more RPG oriented, using practically the same rules as LBB1 on a small ship, while AHL is more wargame oriented, using a different system and thought for more men in a larger ship. It requires more time and larger table to play. Personally, I like it more tan Snapshoot, but that's purely a matter of taste (you'll also need to print quite more mapboards and counters than Snapshoot).

If you like more strategical games, if ground based you have only Invasion Earth. It's quite a good game, but you'll need some time to play it (don't expect to finish it in an afternoon).

For strategic fleet game, there are FFW or Imperium (I've never played Dark Nebula, but for what I've read it's the same system than Imperium with a different setting).

As for FFW, I would not call it purely strategical, more as operational, as, while the troop scale may be so, the time scale (1 week) and the fact it portrays only the military part (no production, no control over reinforcements, etc.) precludes me to see it as fully strategical. Likewise, don't expect it to recreate the FFW too close (no long time consuming sieges or planetary invasions, that used to be resolved quite quickly when compared with OTU history). It is quite good a game, nonetheless, but, again, don't expect to finish it in an afternoon or two.

Imperium (and I guess Dark Nebula, if it is so close to it as I've read here) are more fully strategic, as your focus there is the control of the territory to have better production and, not only wining the current war, but also to prepare for the next one. You can probably play a single war in an afternoon, while the full campaign can tak quite longer.

I have not played any other Traveller Wargame, but I hope that will help you.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; February 21st, 2016 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: typos
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

warwizard Citizen

There is also the Blood tree rebellion which is an asymmetric ground combat game with the professional units able to break down into smaller echelons so they can attempt to do more missions, which of course invites the rebel player to pick off small units... the old problem of send 100 men and they see nothing, send 10 men and they do not come back.

Have to actually have two players for this one.

The best of the strategic level space ship games as far as ease of play is the Imperium it is a game that is meant to be played as a series of wars, with each war lasting no more than 11 turns (22 years) the ending state of the war and the length of the peace determine the starting forces for the next war, one generally can see the writing on the wall so to speak after 3-4 wars.
If Bernard's star is held by the Imperials and the Humans* have only the two worlds plus a few outposts then things look bleak for the Humans. On the other hand if the Humans manage to have 4 worlds with a good number of outposts then it becomes quite hard for the Imperial player to prevail.

* see my signature

IMTU tc !23 mgt- mt+ TNE+ T4++ T20- T5 ?T5LBB ?tp tg-- ?th ?to ru ge++ !3i+ c++ jt- au+ ls- pi+,-- ta- he+ ?kk ?hi as dr ?ith ?vr ?ne vg+ So++ Zh- Vi-- da Sy
*all non So humaniti are much closer related to Homo Nethanderalis than are So, and are immediately recognizable to So as "cavemen" complete with fur and the other morphological characteristics that were unimportant to Grandfather's need for a better servant