Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old January 7th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default A bit o' High Guard hidden within Book 2

Whilst reverse engineering the small craft in Book 2 into Traveller 5 designs, I noticed that their fuel requirements are in line with High Guard.

This makes Book 2's ship design system an even more bizarre anomaly. Is this intentional, or not?

The rule appears to be: fuel (tons) = 0.01 x hull tonnage x maneuver rating (implicit is the assumption that the power plant has the same rating as the maneuver drive). The minimum fuel volume is 1 ton, and is usually rounded up. I don't think there's a duration given, but I assume 1 month for the calculated fuel requirement.

This small bit of data feeds into my Proto-Traveller Book 2 Plus ship design system.

The Pinnace requires 2 tons of fuel. 0.01 x 40t x 5G = 2 tons.
The Slow Pinnace requires 1 ton of fuel. 0.01 x 40t x 2G = 0.8 tons (but minimum is 1 ton, so duration is longer).

The Ship's Boat requires 2 tons of fuel. 0.01 x 30t x 6G = 1.8 tons (round up to 2 tons).
The Slow Boat requires 1 ton. 0.01 x 30t x 3G = 0.9t (minimum is 1 ton, so duration is slightly longer).

And so on.

The only design which does not round up (but probably should have) is the Shuttle.

The Shuttle requires 0.01 x 95t x 3G = 2.85t. ("should" round up to 3, but does not).
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; January 7th, 2013 at 04:07 PM..