Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old September 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-4

Gallery : 0
jtgibson Citizen
Default World Builder's Handbook - Some assembly required?

A short while ago, I reviewed most of the "buzz" on the interwebz and sought out which version of Traveller was best. I heard good things about GURPS Traveller, but detail and physical accuracy of my game universe was a major issue for me, so I eventually hunted down and bought some digital PDF reprints of the MegaTraveller books -- specifically, COACC, Referee's Manual, Player's Manual, Fighting Ships of the Third Imperium, Referee's Companion, and Imperial Encyclopedia.

However, if I'm correct in my awareness of the political things surrounding the MegaTraveller copyrights, there's a bit of an issue that's bothering me. I really, really, really want to get my hands on the World Builder's Handbook, but I'm not willing to buy the $80 copy that someone was offering somewhere (even if that is the book's actual "rarity" value, I don't tend to respect collectability), and since it's a Digest Group Publication whose copyright is owned wholly by a guy who seems to have disappeared from the internet for 11+ years, I'm effectively skullboned, mouthboned, and buttboned all at the same time.

So, I came up with an interesting idea: if I were to buy digital copies of Classic Traveller's Grand Census and Grand Survey, is there anyone around here who owns World Builder's Handbook that could come up with a set of "errata" and "addenda" which could be used to "upconvert" those two books to the WBH?

As far as I know, such errata and changes would themselves not be infringement of copyright, since they don't constitute a reproduction of a product nor do they infringe on the existing saleability of the World Builder's Handbook (i.e., the copyright holder is not financially affected because the WBH is not in distribution and is only being sold as a collectible). Granted, I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's a fair technicality. =)

Is there anyone around who might be willing to take on the task?

Last edited by jtgibson; September 12th, 2007 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: but->and (grammar fix)

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.