Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 25th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
RainOfSteel Citizen
I'll now enter in that I believe the GT alternate version of events where Dulinor's ships "explodes" (i.e whichever Imperial intelligence agency "disposes" of him at the most opportune momemnt) is by far the more logical case.

Dulinor, with freshly renewed Archducal powers reserrected from the pre-Civil War era, heady, arrogant, and not a little stupid, having lived a full life already with no powers of any consequence and having been of no real importance that whole time . . . and all the forces at his side, couldn't possibly hope, in just 6 years (1110, when it all started, to 1116) to come up with any plan which wouldn't be hopelessly transparent to the Emperor's vastly more experienced forces.

It just clicks that Dulinor would have been found out, and then eliminated in favor of Iolanthe's best friend, Dulinor's daughter. How's that for enhancing the security of the realm?
Citizen: SOC-13

Falkayn Citizen
I. Don't. Care.

At least not enough to waste time in a discussion that quickly meanders into statements of 'fact' that are as much based on assumptions/faith as anything else. I mean have you ever stood off an ihatei invasion force, or gone up against an interstellar rebellion navy?

{Unless of course you have wargamed the whole thing, in which case by all means tell us how you set it up, what rules you used, what assumptions you made and what the results were (the one time you did it), so we can discuss it on its merits. Or at least, did you ever actually roleplay in the game, or do you just armchair critique it?}

I mean it's about as useful as discussing space piracy, or why the 3rd Imperium should never have existed, or why artificial grav is a crock of b$, or how the exact numbers of troops in the Ramshackle Empire have to be identified before one can discuss whether the 4th Imperium has a snowball's chance in a red dwarf of surviving.

For crying out loud, you manage to pretend that a 2D map accurately represents 3D space, why not take the author's word that Aslan could cause a rebellion wracked empire trouble???
Falkayn<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.Falkayn.com\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn.com</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cafepress.com/falkayn\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn\'s Store</a></b><br />(Traveller inspired T-shirts!)
Citizen: SOC-13

Falkayn Citizen
I. Don't. Care.

At least not enough to waste time in a discussion that quickly meanders into statements of 'fact' that are as much based on assumptions/faith as anything else. I mean have you ever stood off an ihatei invasion force, or gone up against an interstellar rebellion navy?

{Unless of course you have wargamed the whole thing, in which case by all means tell us how you set it up, what rules you used, what assumptions you made and what the results were (the one time you did it), so we can discuss it on its merits. Or at least, did you ever actually roleplay in the game, or do you just armchair critique it?}

I mean it's about as useful as discussing space piracy, or why the 3rd Imperium should never have existed, or why artificial grav is a crock of b$, or how the exact numbers of troops in the Ramshackle Empire have to be identified before one can discuss whether the 4th Imperium has a snowball's chance in a red dwarf of surviving.

For crying out loud, you manage to pretend that a 2D map accurately represents 3D space, why not take the author's word that Aslan could cause a rebellion wracked empire trouble???
Falkayn<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.Falkayn.com\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn.com</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cafepress.com/falkayn\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn\'s Store</a></b><br />(Traveller inspired T-shirts!)
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:29 PM

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Falkayn:
I. Don't. Care.
Well: You cared enough to post.

and . . .

Well: I. Do. Care.

Which is why I posted.

&lt;snip&gt;

Quote:
Some few particular things must be accepted in order for it all to work. Every single thing that is possessed of this status works against the overall believeability of the OTU. Therefore, we must allow as few of them as possible to exist.

Jump Drives. Without them, everything slows down far to much to be fun in role-playing.

Thruster Plates. Elminates reaction-mass fuel and the problems inherent in calculating its use.

2D-Map. Because printing a 3D map useable by gamers in the context of the game is still impossible. Even if such a thing could be printed, I don't think the human visual system could ever comprehend it.

Jump Masking. Whoops. There's a whomping big load of trouble.

Gas Giant Skimming. Well, it seemed like a cool idea when they invented it.

Aslan Ihatei. Fleets of Aslan ships come out of nowhere and beat IN fleets of superior TL? And then successfully invade High-Pop worlds? Doesn't Tobia have a population of 20 Billion? How did the Aslan get the 100-200 million+ troops there that they would need, minimum, to occupy it? How did they transport them there? How did they pay them? What about Glisten, and it's billions? How did they operate successfully over the approx 15-20 parsec gap between the Imperial and Aslan borders? When such a thing as this is entered into the overall equation, we ask ourselves, does the whole OTU fall apart if it isn't there. Since the answer is, no, the OTU does not fall apart of it isn't there, then I must state that I'd prefer such such things not to be there at all.

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
I. Don't. Care.

and . . .

Which is why I posted.

&lt;snip&gt;

Quote:
Some few particular things must be accepted in order for it all to work. Every single thing that is possessed of this status works against the overall believeability of the OTU. Therefore, we must allow as few of them as possible to exist.

Jump Drives. Without them, everything slows down far to much to be fun in role-playing.

Thruster Plates. Elminates reaction-mass fuel and the problems inherent in calculating its use.

2D-Map. Because printing a 3D map useable by gamers in the context of the game is still impossible. Even if such a thing could be printed, I don't think the human visual system could ever comprehend it.

Aslan Ihatei. Fleets of Aslan ships come out of nowhere and beat IN fleets of superior TL? And then successfully invade High-Pop worlds? Doesn't Tobia have a population of 20 Billion? How did the Aslan get the 100-200 million+ troops there that they would need, minimum, to occupy it? How did they transport them there? How did they pay them? What about Glisten, and it's billions? How did they operate successfully over the approx 15-20 parsec gap between the Imperial and Aslan borders? When such a thing as this is entered into the overall equation, we ask ourselves, does the whole OTU fall apart if it isn't there. Since the answer is, no, the OTU does not fall apart of it isn't there, then I must state that I'd prefer such such things not to be there at all.

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
I. Don't. Care.

and . . .

Which is why I posted.

&lt;snip&gt;

Quote:

Old October 25th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Quote:
Perhaps this particular discussion (i.e., aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders) could fork off onto a separate thread,
Fork off?!? Hey! Fork you, buddy!

C'mon, I'm just forkin' kiddin'

Scout
P.S. It's been one of those days - I just had to.
Count

Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Quote:
Perhaps this particular discussion (i.e., aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders) could fork off onto a separate thread,

Scout
Count

Quote:

Scout
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

jfugatesr Citizen
Well, like my father-in-law used to say, "what a bunch of mumbo jumbo" when I used to tell him about Traveller.

I finally left the business because I started to agree with him. And I saw SF in general moving away from space opera into a more gritty realism mixed with horror.

Nope, sorry, not for me.

And for every concept and idea, there's a counter idea that makes perfect sense. And then there's a counter idea that pulls it back the other way.

Since it's all thought game mumbo jumbo anyway, back to the real world where things really matter.

That's the real reason why I got rid of DGP in the first place and I'm even more certain than ever these days that I made the right decision!

If the Rebellion irks you, then go back to Classic Traveller. In my heart of hearts, that's my favorite version of Traveller as well. The rebellion was a ploy to try and increase the possiblity of adventure ...

History is full of things that shouldn't have happened yet they did. You can take any genre, Star Wars or Star Trek, and pick it apart from any direction you chose and you will be right. You can take any genre and justify it till the cows come home and you will be right.

(Psst: Here's a hint. None of it really exists.)

Such are the ways of us humans trying to invent things that don't really exist. It will have holes. Welcome to the reality of being a fallible human!

In short, you are right. But were I to think about it long enough, I could probably come up with reasons to counter many of your arugments. But hey, I'm not in gaming any more and life's too short.

Don't take this all too seriously. I'm grinning as I write it ... brings back the days of the debates we'd have at game conventions with gamers. Nothing's perfect, including us.