Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativehum View Post
Thanks!
(I'm used to the naming convention "Adventure 5" or "A05".... it went right past me!)

For what it is worth, I often keep the tech level of the Starport independent of the tech level of the world depending on the circumstances of the setting.

This is for a variety of reasons. But on a practical rules level, if one doesn't do this one can end up with (at extreme cases) A or B starports that can't repair starships.

I understand that for many people this is a controversial view. But for me... well I've always assumed starports and worlds can work at varying TLs.
I always assume that the highest tech level of a world is found within the vecinity of the star port. The further away, the more variable the tech level can be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by storuggla View Post
Type A and B Starports have " Annual maintenance over-haul available." listed.

So what is "reasonable"? Type D Starports have no repair facilities at all, which implies that reasonable might be sugar-coating it a little since there's no bottom limit?
Storuggla, can I tempt you to share this data on this wiki page? Please.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Class_C_Starport

Nice images at the wiki.

Shalom,
M.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 06:02 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchuck View Post
Currently, in my game, the C class starport is cannibalizing a Marava far trader for everything that can be carried off.
Heh, that a pretty common sight at a lot of Class C and D ports in my games.
Old August 4th, 2019, 05:14 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Within the Imperium, this classification may be rather rigid, but then again, most commercial ships may not be built at a greater than technological level twelve, or at least, the majority of their components may not be.

Technological level twelve would be the minimum default for most starports, in my opinion.
Old August 4th, 2019, 05:39 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Within the Imperium we have canonical examples of merchant ships from TL9 all the way to TL15.
Old August 4th, 2019, 06:03 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

In the end, it would be dependent on how many numbers are built between technological levels thirteen to fifteen.

If the norm doesn't require a greater range than three parsecs, there's not much reason to build a commercial ship at a higher technological level, unless some form of competitive advantage can be leveraged out.
Old August 4th, 2019, 08:48 AM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

High tech drives are much cheaper, e.g. LBB2 Z-drives or HG power plants. Hence high tech ships are much more economically efficient.

If that were the only criteria most ships would be TL-15. Since they are not, there are other considerations...
Old August 4th, 2019, 02:33 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

If you wanted to get into crunchy detail, a TL15 Type A should be much more capable, cheaper and/or desirable in little detail bits that don't affect USP per se but translates into more profit. Say higher cargo fees chargeable due to more safety/cushion features that protect transit, or more high tech luxury per stateroom.

And/or, you could say most Type A are TL9 if you have a pricing adjustment for TL and they are much cheaper, or performance upgrades like fuel use is 10% - (9-ShipTL) per jump number. So a TL13 ship uses 6% of hull volume per jump number. You really want a price difference for that ship vs. a TL15 or TL9 ship.

None of that crunch is in basic CT, you'd have to put it in and decide if it has gameplay content value worth the redo.

As for the OP, my dividing line for reasonable C starport repair is replacing letter drives, limited hull repair, otherwise less then total component replacement for HG 'custom' ships and tagged to TL.

Now keep in mind, C and D starports are not 'limitations' but an opportunity to explore the 'non-standard' side of starship logistical ops, with private megacorps/feudal/government base/jump tug services/portable jump dock rental/eccentric personal facilities all in play, which may involve politics/favors/patrons/serious money to access.
Old August 4th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Within the Imperium we have canonical examples of merchant ships from TL-9 all the way to TL-15.
Mike,

Do you have list of them?

I am not sure we do.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old August 4th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

CT has merchants that use A-Z drives - that makes them TL9 to TL15. LBB2 and the Traveller Adventure.

MT has the standard ships as TL15 since it was the only way to build them until the power plant fudge was legitimized.

Look at the TL of the free trader in the adventure Knightfall, or the TL of the ships in IE.

I have a list on paper...