Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old September 23rd, 2020, 08:29 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Fortunately all my ship electronic components weren't of silicon but rather gallium arsenide and thus were immune.
Uh oh. This changes Everything.
Old September 24th, 2020, 01:07 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Fortunately all my ship electronic components weren't of silicon but rather gallium arsenide and thus were immune.
It's not the silicon that is important - it is the data stream that contains the personality and memory of the lifeform.
Old September 25th, 2020, 06:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Do you also use the germanium-based Oc Dollar?

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old September 25th, 2020, 10:11 PM

Gallery : 1
Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It's not the silicon that is important - it is the data stream that contains the personality and memory of the lifeform.
Not according to the RAW. SILICON was required. Unless you have rules I haven't seen that you'd care to quote.
Old September 25th, 2020, 10:11 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
Do you also use the germanium-based Oc Dollar?
Ya lost me there. I'm getting old I guess.
Old September 26th, 2020, 01:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
No, it can't.

The problem is that tube computers aren't very useful since most of the utility of a computer comes from its density.

Who's to say if a tube computer that can, say, calculate a Jump route, is even practical.

It may even be the case that for something "routine" like a Jump calculation, a mechanical solution may be more reliable, compact, and/or energy efficient than a tube version.
This explains the huge computers then: they're hydro-mechanical, like WWII gun-laying computers.
Old September 26th, 2020, 04:30 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Not according to the RAW. SILICON was required. Unless you have rules I haven't seen that you'd care to quote.
You quote yours, I'll quote mine.

The original lifeform is the Cymbeline silicon based organism, but the data stream that is Virus can infect any Imperial era computer system - as per the rules as written. Are Imperial era computers based on silicon?
We know that silicon is still used in some computer architecture since it says so in the adventure, but nowhere do we learn what a TL15 computer is made from as far as I can find. If you have some quote that can shed some light of TL15 computer technology I would love to be pointed towards the reference.
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:07 AM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
You quote yours, I'll quote mine.

The original lifeform is the Cymbeline silicon based organism, but the data stream that is Virus can infect any Imperial era computer system - as per the rules as written. Are Imperial era computers based on silicon?
We know that silicon is still used in some computer architecture since it says so in the adventure, but nowhere do we learn what a TL15 computer is made from as far as I can find. If you have some quote that can shed some light of TL15 computer technology I would love to be pointed towards the reference.
Cool, where is your quote from?
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Noble

Signal GK which explains the boost that the Cymbeline chips received thanks to the computer chips of a crashed Terran ship, three thousand years before the events of the adventure...

So that ship definitely uses 'crystal' in some of its computer chips, but it was a Terran ship of the Interstellar Wars era, so a TL9 to 11 tops computer architecture.
Of note is that it mentions crystals a lot, but fails to say they are silicon crystals although the implication is there it is not explicit and so grants some handwavium room.
Old September 26th, 2020, 03:49 PM

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Ya lost me there. I'm getting old I guess.
From Blish's Cities in Flight, where the collapse of the germanium standard led to a galactic depression. Guess he didn't believe in fiat currency. Even the new currency was anagathic-drug-based--leading to real problems for the traveling cities who needed the drugs as drugs, not as inflated-value currency.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!