Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old January 5th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 6
Ad Astra News Citizen
Default Squadron Strike: Traveller preview!

Ken Burnside wrote:

Comparing Squadron Strike Traveller to Power Projection: Fleet

I get asked "Why are you doing Squadron Strike: Traveller when Power Projection: Fleet already exists?" I publish both games, and while you never really want to get into these kinds of discussions on the Internet, because they quickly devolve into "System A is better than System B, well, I like System B, and must defend it!", discussing what the games do differently is important.

So, with the caveat that I publish both rules sets, and am trying not to say Power Projection or Full Thrust is worse, here goes:

Squadron Strike is hex based, and ships have faced defenses - the armor on the Nose may (and often does) differ from the armor on the Aft of the ship; Left, Right, Top and Bottom are distinct facings. Power Projection doesn't have faced defenses. Armor in Squadron Strike is reductive - if you fire at a ship with armor 7 with a 6 damage weapon, you're not going to get any effect whatsoever. Armor in Power Projection is, like Full Thrust, ablative. It's extra hit points, basically.

In Power Projection, Andy Lilly and Dom Mooney pretty much renamed the Full Thrust weapons. This is great for simplicity, which is one of the strengths of Full Thrust...but a lot of Travellerisms kind of vanished in the conversion. For example, I'm not terribly fond of their Meson Gun rule - it just doesn't have the same pucker-factor that it should from Traveller.

In Squadron Strike, weapons are player-designable. I'm not trying to make something work out of a half-dozen pre-built weapons, I'm able to specify range, accuracy, damage, variable damage and special weapon abilities on a per-weapon basis. The same weapon in High Guard may have slight regional differences in SS Traveller, for example.

Coming back around to the Meson Gun, the Meson Gun has a high base damage, a high variable damage component, and two special weapon traits.

One is "High Impact," which adds a point of damage to the base damage for every pip you beat the Accuracy number by - if it's got an Accuracy of 4+ on a d10, and you roll a 7, High Impact would add 3 additional damage.

The other is "Ignores Armor," typically at 8+, though earlier models have it at higher target numbers. If your Accuracy die roll is an 8 or higher, ignore the target's armor when the damage is allocated.

Both these traits benefit from high die rolls. While it doesn't happen all the time, I've had a a ship I've been flying take an appropriately "Traveller-esque Meson Gun" hit and go from "Unhurt, unhurt, un..." to "Ooh, pretty explosion..."

The other big difference is 3D movement, and an easier to use vector movement system than Full Thrust uses. Maneuver is important in SS Traveller, and it's a lot of fun.

(Original at http://www.adastragames.com/news/201...ojection-fleet )
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

So when can I send you money for this - I want it
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

mllaneza Citizen
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
So when can I send you money for this - I want it
Ken will take your money on Patreon right now. The full products should be out in Q1 of this year. You can also get miniatures now. The first product in the line was designed around the existing fleet boxes (we swapped out the AHL for the Atlantic as the Imperial CA) to line up with the available miniatures. When the full product is available it will be in two forms. A folio edition for people who already have Squadron Strike and a new boxed set for everyone else.

Squadron Strike really does do 3d vector movement on the tabletop and it makes it fun. I am truly grateful for the chance to take the premier hard science gaming setting and put those fleets on your table. I took a lot of time with the tutorials so that you'll be zooming around like a kid full of soda pop playing Asteroids in very little time. Once you get your head around vector movement turns go very quickly, 10-20 minutes counting maneuver and combat both.

The ships in the book, 15 of them, give the Zhodani and Imperials a balanced fleet mix. And then there are the largest Aslan warships ever published. They'll fly differently than the other two empires. They have a nasty little destroyer with amazing short ranged firepower, cruisers designed to take and hold systems. All of them designed to excel at 'scream and leap' tactics and bring glory to crew and clan.
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:36 PM

elbmc1969 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllaneza View Post
Once you get your head around vector movement turns go very quickly, 10-20 minutes counting maneuver and combat both.
And that's with a large squadron, not just two or three ships per side.
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Looks interesting. Power Project Fleet is tied to T4, right? Uses T4 tasks?

Is this game tied to any particular edition of Traveller? What dice are used?
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Gallery : 6
Ad Astra News Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Squadron Strike is not tied to any Traveller edition; it is a pre-exisiting rule set and Traveller is a supplement. Squadron Strike uses d10s in a variety of interesting ways, such as the famed "2d10-" roll.

Michael and Ken are hard at work making sure that the rules for integration with Traveller have conversions to all Traveller editions. That's one thing that they need help on: sanity checking the tasks for all of the different versions of Traveller.

Remember, you can support the Patreon for as little as $5/month and receive the preview the most Traveller-specific rules (http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1409300) as well as The Decision at Yebab, which includes the Plankwell, Gionetti, and Kefchenzh (http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1475834). Oh, and a whole bunch of other spaceship-gaming material as well, including a very nice set of campaign rules for Squadron Strike.

Because those links are for patrons only, you won't be able to see anything until you become a supporter. The main Patreon page is at http://www.patreon.com/StarShipsRUs

Enjoy!
Old January 13th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Looks interesting. Power Project Fleet is tied to T4, right? Uses T4 tasks?

Power Projection is tied to CT HG ship designs; it uses no traveller stats in play at all.

Product announcements belong in TAS News Feed, by the way.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 9
Tikon Citizen

What kind of ships are on the pipeline? Warships, but also PC adventure class ships? Will it complement/compete with D20 Entertainment? Although would you do a better job of getting the miniatures out?
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

mllaneza Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikon View Post
What kind of ships are on the pipeline? Warships, but also PC adventure class ships? Will it complement/compete with D20 Entertainment? Although would you do a better job of getting the miniatures out?
The first product out will have warships from 1,000 to 200,000 tons based on Supplement 9 and Power Projection designs. We are looking seriously into a product full of adventurer class ships, under 2-5,000 tons and mostly under 1,000.

For miniatures, we complement D20's line of resin ships. Theirs are intended for display, our are scaled for tabletop use. If you check the website, we balanced the first Fleet Book around the boxed sets. The Imperials and the Zhodani have ships in the book corresponding whats in the boxed set; although we swapped the Atlantic for the AHL in the Imperial heavy cruiser slot for book 1. The boxed set will get updated at some point. There will eventually be more miniatures, notably for the Aslan warships. We buy 3D art for the ships that can be used as production designs for miniatures.

http://www.adastragames.com/products...gory=Traveller

We also have a pinnace, a scout/courier, and a free trader at a different scale from the fleet miniatures.
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

David Johansen Citizen+David Johansen Citizen+

I'd be happiest if it was T5 compatible but I will be buying this game.