Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
fusor Citizen

If the devs were smart they'd (a) make a version available on Steam for the PC and (b) drop the "augmented reality" nonsense. It's a SF space combat game, there's no "augmented reality" about it.
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

dean Citizen

Signed up for open beta; try it on my iPad and tell you how it is... If I get invited : )

IMTU tc++ t5++(LBB#10) ru ge+ !3i c+ jt? au+ ls pi+

Dean 0509 C254539-C 5 hi- as vr-- dr-- zh- 633
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusor View Post
If the devs were smart they'd (a) make a version available on Steam for the PC and (b) drop the "augmented reality" nonsense. It's a SF space combat game, there's no "augmented reality" about it.
For what I saw in the video isn't just a space combat game

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

fusor Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
For what I saw in the video isn't just a space combat game
Neither was Elite, but it's essentially the same thing as that game (probably not surprisingly, since Elite was itself heavily influenced by Traveller). Either way, my point was that I don't see any reason to link "augmented reality" to it at all because it's a complete non-sequitur for the concept of the game.

For newer people, it'll just read as a poor man's ripoff of EVE Online. Either way I'm not seeing anything really new or interesting being offered by "Traveller AR" so far.
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM

BytePro Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
A Mac emulator, to run an iOS simulator, to play Traveller AR on a PC? I know you have a high end PC but unless it is really really really high end it'll crawl... until it crashes.
Actually, the Intel based Mac OS would not need CPU emulation - so speed and resources would not be a problem (well, other than normal!). This is doable (even legal for third parties), but is unlikely, especially as...Mac OS can run on a PC. Its called a Hackintosh. (Don't go there!)

Of course, there is no market imperative to do this - an intel mac-mini refurb is $220~300 or $100 used... or $700 new (minus PC compatible extras).

As to running Traveller-AR...

Quote:
I had seen somewhere that the iOS simulator won't actually run apps without recoding them. It's more a diagnostic tool for developers iirc. I could be wrong about that though.
Not wrong - at least at a high level...

Its a simulator - it does not emulate the iDevice processor (ARM), rather an app must be built (compiled) for the simulator (Intel processor) - so iTunes apps won't work.

However, this requires no code changes - one can just copy the files to a directory (if the developer give them the files!) and run the simulator on any Mac it is supported on. This is as easy as it gets - and can be useful for beta testing.

But - and it is a big but - the simulator isn't good for beta testing actual performance, nor certain hardware features (though many are implemented - and the simulator supports iPad, and iPhone/iPod variations). Its really designed for alpha testing by developers.

Quote:
I think we're all outta luck without an iDevice until this is properly ported to other platforms.
Yep (practically anyway).

No different than if it were a game for an X-Box 360, or new play-station, etc. Except that it will run on an iPod Touch - whose retail ($230) is typically cheaper

Last edited by BytePro; July 16th, 2011 at 02:01 PM..
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

jaymin Citizen-
Send a message via AIM to jaymin
Default "Teaser" client

I've been chatting off and on with the Ingz folks about doing a Java based "teaser" client in Java for them. This wouldn't have all the fancy graphics, but would run on PC, Linux, Android, etc. They've put me on hold until after they ship Beta, as the APIs are still in flux.
Officially they do intend to release on Android, but have no plans for PC/Linux.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Ooh!