Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old March 7th, 2019, 05:40 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Question What do we use for money?

First, do we need to exchange Imperial cash for local? (Big PITA! )

Second, how do we carry it around?
- good old Imperial extruded plastic coins and bills per MegaTraveller etc?
- cards or memsticks or some other handy data storage that either "carries" some amount of nice anonymous cash, or allows access to the user's credit or accounts?
- like the new 21st century thing, pay it with your phone/comm?
- if something that accesses account, do we need to deposit some cash at the starport bank to establish a local account, or is there some kind of interstellar banking, or ???

I want Frank to be able to buy stuff, I just don't like the idea of him walking around with his Cr90K life savings in his pocket!

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Thumbs up SUBMISSIONS WELCOME!

Here is where you post gear suggestions. I locked some of the threads so they don't get clogged up with non-subject posts, that way the Sandbox, the Characters, and Gear threads in particular stay nice and clean and easy for all to use to look stuff up without having to wade through pages of other stuff.

So, if you have ideas for those locked posts, post them here where we can discuss them if needed or I'll just grab them and copy them to the appropriate thread.

Hope that clears things up.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default TAS for Scout w 3 Discoveries!

I never really managed to read all the way through T5, so now that I'm playing in this game using T5 rules, I figured I'd better try (no guarantees on retention! ). Imagine my surprise on spotting this little tidbit (emphasis added):
Quote:
T5 Core Rules, page 75:
TAS Life Membership
provides one week of free accommodations and one free High Passage per month. Selected individuals are awarded a TAS Life Membership (for example, Award-Winning Scholar, Scout with 3 Discoveries, Imperial Treasure Craftsman, and recipient of the Starburst for Extreme Heroism.
Of course, there is no mention of this on the Scout career page (nor Craftsman, nor Scholar); have I mentioned my hope for improvements in organization of future drafts of T5?

Also, I failed to note on the Scout career page (p. 87) that a Scout making a Discovery also earns a Discovery Land Grant.

How about a Deal? Frank gives up all three of his Discovery Land Grants (which neither he nor I care about) but gets his Life TAS Membership (which I noted on his character sheet he had really wanted)? The rules say he was supposed to get it, and I shouldn't be penalized for unfamiliarity with the rulebook.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default Money! It's a trip!

OK, in the spirit of Magnus's request that we post Gear suggestions here, and since he didn't answer my questions about Money, I'm reposting my questions with my own suggested answers in Blue, for discussion and, I hope, to be adopted by Magnus and reposted under Gear or Sandbox or wherever's appropriate.

No! Although requiring an exchange for local currency might be "more realistic", it would also be a major league Pain In The Appendix, so not worth the trouble!

- good old Imperial extruded plastic coins and bills per MegaTraveller etc? YES!
- cards or memsticks or some other handy data storage that either "carries" some amount of nice anonymous cash, or allows access to the user's credit or accounts? YES!
- like the new 21st century thing, pay it with your phone/comm? YES!
- if something that accesses account, do we need to deposit some cash at the starport bank to establish a local account, or is there some kind of interstellar banking, or ???
For the very wealthy, or large megacorporations, there may be established lines of credit that may be carried from one star system to another in the form of an electronic document (very hard to forge, of course!) from their "home" financial institution vouching for their credit-worthiness. Whether this is accepted anywhere they go is a matter of distance, prior agreement between financial institutions or governments, or even reputation of the individual. For most other people, businesses, trading ships, and so forth, an actual deposit of cash into a local account (usually at the starport) is required. Part of the starport departure process is settlement of these accounts, including closure and withdrawal if return is unlikely or uncertain.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:30 PM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Answers to questions, past and present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
I guess we're already past that. I don't know if we can take much more rewinding. Until I saw your nice sketch of the downport, I hadn't even realized that we would have had any customs clearance until we were ready to cross the extrality line into local control.

No complaints from me, just seeking enlightenment.

I thought we had established that after Mustering Out, Frank had taken his newly assigned Type S out to begin wandering, as DD Scouts are generally expected to do. He'd made the acquaintance of Dabi during the administrative process of separation from The Service, and had offered to let him ride along for awhile. (How they picked Bohen I don't know; maybe random roll of polyhedral solid tokens used for gaming?) Then at Bohen Heights they both got the mysterious invite to the Banner's party, and hopped a shuttle to the Downs.

Now it seems we're back with the earlier idea of arrival by Scout Service cruiser, stopping at Bohen to pick up recruits. Frank's Type S was apparently carried in hangar space on the cruiser, but upon our decision to stay at Bohen for awhile was unloaded and docked at the Heights. I have no real complaint or objection to the cruiser bit, I just don't understand why we would do it that way, when a pilot like Frank would be itching to put his new ship through its paces.

Just trying to understand how/why we got to where we are, in case it has later impact on the mission.
It was done this way because Banner's have pull sometimes and to keep things inside the Sandbox and to supposedly speed thing up. Not that the last one worked.

The TL;DR answer: PLOT!

Quote:
I never really managed to read all the way through T5, so now that I'm playing in this game using T5 rules, I figured I'd better try (no guarantees on retention! ). Imagine my surprise on spotting this little tidbit (emphasis added):

Of course, there is no mention of this on the Scout career page (nor Craftsman, nor Scholar); have I mentioned my hope for improvements in organization of future drafts of T5?

Also, I failed to note on the Scout career page (p. 87) that a Scout making a Discovery also earns a Discovery Land Grant.

How about a Deal? Frank gives up all three of his Discovery Land Grants (which neither he nor I care about) but gets his Life TAS Membership (which I noted on his character sheet he had really wanted)? The rules say he was supposed to get it, and I shouldn't be penalized for unfamiliarity with the rulebook.
And so you shall not be penalized.

Actually you get all of your Discovery Grants (and that goes for all Scouts with them) so you get the KCr 5/year for each Discovery (in lieu of actual possession) and if you have three or more Discoveries you also get the TAS Lifetime. So no loss and lots of gain, and before you ask yes, Bohen does indeed have a small TAS Hostel, it is of course located just outside the XT line, in fact you can see it from the taxi stand as it is directly across from Bohen Downs.

Quote:
OK, in the spirit of Magnus's request that we post Gear suggestions here, and since he didn't answer my questions about Money, I'm reposting my questions with my own suggested answers in Blue, for discussion and, I hope, to be adopted by Magnus and reposted under Gear or Sandbox or wherever's appropriate.

He is now, see here, inline. The blue answers seem pretty spot on too. It was almost like some of you were familiar with the setting. And I have amended where needed so see comments again for corrections.

No! Although requiring an exchange for local currency might be "more realistic", it would also be a major league Pain In The Appendix, so not worth the trouble!

True so for now I'm not messing with it because Banner Bohen has been making it priority to be part of the interstellar trade community, now if you come to a low tech world...

Most people use these things called "pockets" which are included in their clothes, hell in the distant future here even women's clothes like dresses have pockets.

- good old Imperial extruded plastic metallic coins and plastic bills with holograms and clear bits, think modern UK/Commonwealth bill here on Earth, those of TL-A worlds may also have embedded circuitry or RFID tags per MegaTraveller etc? YES!

The Credits Imperial (also known as CrImps) that Travellers most often use are usually electronic, however they can be found on Client worlds as coins (most common to very low tech worlds, TL-0 to TL-3) and bills (for the industrial low to medium tech worlds, TL-4 to TL-8). The various electronic currency cards or chips used by Travellers and on higher tech or Member (TL-9+) worlds often just have a balance attached to the Imperial ID or to a CredStik.

- cards or memsticks or some other handy data storage that either "carries" some amount of nice anonymous cash, or allows access to the user's credit or accounts? YES!

Yes to both, the Bearer CredStik is the most common form of anonymous cash, and Named CredStiks for accounts. They are issued by most major banks and can often be purchased or adjusted at ATMs in most Class C+ starports (fees may apply).

- like the new 21st century thing, pay it with your phone/comm? YES!

It goes on your Imperial ID.

For the very wealthy, or large megacorporations, there may be established lines of credit that may be carried from one star system to another in the form of an electronic document (very hard to forge, of course!) from their "home" financial institution vouching for their credit-worthiness. Whether this is accepted anywhere they go is a matter of distance, prior agreement between financial institutions or governments, or even reputation of the individual. For most other people, businesses, trading ships, and so forth, an actual deposit of cash into a local account (usually at the starport) is required. Part of the starport departure process is settlement of these accounts, including closure and withdrawal if return is unlikely or uncertain.

While this is true, here are some more details. There is interstellar banking such as the Royal Bank of Permatic or 1st Imperial Bank and others. Most banks involved in the interstellar banking community are based on TL-9+ worlds (i.e. Member Worlds) and some TL-8< worlds (basically Client worlds like Bohen looking to get into the game). These banks can and do sometimes issue Letters of Credit (LoC) to Patrons, Factors, and Travellers with either impeccable business plans or previous credit history or with recommendations. Letters of Credit can also be obtained by depositing the requested amount with the bank who will then issue the LoC to the depositor.

NOTE: Letter(s) of Credit is a legal and financial term that covers a variety of form factors for the instrument. It does not strictly means actual letters on paper but refers to the financial instrument in whatever form factor it was issued.
Bohen like most systems with Class C+ starports use the Credit Imperial as their local currency as they are often connected or are trying to be part of the interstellar trade community.

Sorry about missing this one but hopefully the answers help.

So, that concludes the answer portions of our show. Hopefully this is all of use for you and actually answers all outstanding questions as of 1045 CST.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up Oooo, how do I hate thee, player. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
After Julius discussed the various cafés in the food court with Frank, they decided to go to the one place Julius didn't recognise as an interstellar franchise. Named Beans of Bohen, which advertised that its coffee was grown on-planet on Bohen. Julius's curiosity was piqued somewhat, as he had not tasted such coffee before; the standard Navy coffee was synthetic (and so was the standard Olam coffee, for that matter), and most other coffee he'd tasted was grown on Heridis [FARS 1128] or Ninkas [FARS 2223]
I swear, I can't leave you alone with an atlas can I?

And it's not that Navy coffee is synthetic so much as grown in specialized facilities to maintain standard taste, caffeine ratio, vitamins and nutrients, and of course grind. It's more genetically engineered than synthetic. It still grown not manufactured from base components as I see they do on Olam. Good to know as a coffee guy, that matters. (Note to self: Remember to bring own coffee to Olam!)

Honestly, thanks for this! Seriously this kind of thing helps flesh out the setting and does make your Referee scramble to both update the Bohen information which is good since the idea for the first book is supposed to start on Bohen as well as make up some new things. It helps me a lot. I mean you guys haven't even left the starport and I have now diagrammed the starport, added details to said starport, am starting to have an idea of what Ryersville actually looks like (which for the curious is beginning to take on a crescent shape hugging the starport but with the arms starting or having enclosed it, mostly to the east-southeast), there are two named shops and a taxi stand.

Plus I got some export agricultural goods for two worlds.

Yeah, thanks peeps, glad I'm doing this again.

PS: Thanks for putting the worlds in the proper format. I think it makes it easier to digest, as most worlds are refereed to by name more often than not. The hex number/coordinates are to keep the confusion down since the vast interstellar spaces that are the Far Stars sector not mention the whole of the Riftborne Domains may include worlds with the same name. It happens, the universe is a humongous place after all.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 11th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
Honestly, thanks for this! Seriously this kind of thing helps flesh out the setting and does make your Referee scramble to both update the Bohen information which is good since the idea for the first book is supposed to start on Bohen as well as make up some new things. It helps me a lot. I mean you guys haven't even left the starport and I have now diagrammed the starport, added details to said starport, am starting to have an idea of what Ryersville actually looks like (which for the curious is beginning to take on a crescent shape hugging the starport but with the arms starting or having enclosed it, mostly to the east-southeast), there are two named shops and a taxi stand.
You're welcome! I find creating these small pieces of setting information a lot of fun, so expect more in my future posts.

Speaking of setting information, apart from the Olam write-up I posted in the Setting thread I still have three other write-ups from around the time of the first game that I haven't posted yet, for Schea, Strusli and Criden. The Strusli and Criden ones are currently not entirely complete, but the Schea one is pretty complete and also close to the Adventuring Space. Should I post them in the Setting thread?
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Suggestion for the starport layout, if you're going to continue using it, especially for publication: think again about having customs checkpoints in those locations, and what would be the purpose of having them there. Usually customs is for passing from one jurisdiction into another. Here, presumably the highport is considered Imperial space, and so is the downport, so why would there be a customs check between the landing pads and the rest of the downport? Seems to me the customs check ought to apply only to persons or things crossing the extrality line between the starport and local jurisdiction, which is also where any fees or duties would be charged.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:17 AM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+
Talking Galeful guffawing!

Great!

I forget a space, type Areal steak, and create a franchise.

Suck it, TAS!
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:11 PM

Arrow More respones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
You're welcome! I find creating these small pieces of setting information a lot of fun, so expect more in my future posts.

Speaking of setting information, apart from the Olam write-up I posted in the Setting thread I still have three other write-ups from around the time of the first game that I haven't posted yet, for Schea, Strusli and Criden. The Strusli and Criden ones are currently not entirely complete, but the Schea one is pretty complete and also close to the Adventuring Space. Should I post them in the Setting thread?
Be better to email them to me.

Quote:
Suggestion for the starport layout, if you're going to continue using it, especially for publication: think again about having customs checkpoints in those locations, and what would be the purpose of having them there. Usually customs is for passing from one jurisdiction into another. Here, presumably the highport is considered Imperial space, and so is the downport, so why would there be a customs check between the landing pads and the rest of the downport? Seems to me the customs check ought to apply only to persons or things crossing the extrality line between the starport and local jurisdiction, which is also where any fees or duties would be charged.
They were put there because airports, tickets get taken at the gates generally so that is why there is Customs & Passport Control at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDragon View Post
Great!

I forget a space, type Areal steak, and create a franchise.

Suck it, TAS!
Yep, that is how we do things here, take mistakes and turn them into chrome.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean