Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 06:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Tiikeri Citizen
Default Is there any concise summary of Traveller setting lore to help potential players?

Hi,

I lost a new player because when she went to read up on Traveller she got tired of doing internet detective work to be able to answer questions like what race did she want to play and wtf is a Spinward Marches.

Yes, tiikeri almost had a new player. It was like poe in altered carbon saying "I have a guest..."

Anyway, she was quite interested but she couldnt take researching obscure websites to figure out the relationships between the races and empires, how technology worked, and so on.

Is there a concise noob friendly source i can direct potential players to?

How does all of you handle bringing players who have never heard of traveller up to speed?
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:11 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I used this to start off my last Third Imperium based game:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=36222

It gives the players enough of an overview and then we can fill in details as the game progresses.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiikeri View Post
Hi,

I lost a new player because when she went to read up on Traveller she got tired of doing internet detective work to be able to answer questions like what race did she want to play and wtf is a Spinward Marches.

Yes, tiikeri almost had a new player. It was like poe in altered carbon saying "I have a guest..."

Anyway, she was quite interested but she couldnt take researching obscure websites to figure out the relationships between the races and empires, how technology worked, and so on.

How does all of you handle bringing players who have never heard of traveller up to speed?
Which Traveller setting are you playing in? That has a major effect on what sources you might use to put a handout together. Personally, I would say to go through the Classic Library Data books for most of your stuff. If you are not using Classic, it is going to be a bit more complicated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:45 PM

Tiikeri Citizen

Classic Traveller was the intended setting.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:03 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I believe mister Marc Miller has a primer posted on Far Future to orient new prospective players. I think it may also be available on DriveThruRPG.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Hi,

I beg to differ with the other grognards. There is no single concise sourcebook, not in the way I believe you are looking for. The Library Data sources / books just dont cut it. If I may, by example another setting: Forgotten Realms and D&D 3.0/3.5

There is a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Book. It has a "big map", allows you generate nuanced characters from all over the planet Faerun of different races and cultures. talks of the general history and gods and its rules variations, prestige classes, etc. different from the "standard" rules of the PHB, DMG and and MM Core Books. Even details of cool or important places and people Elminster is a xx lvl Wizard, The Open Lord of Waterdeep,

Within that there are region sourcebooks, racial splat books, magic books and such detailing an aspect of the setting.
City of the Spider Queen, Sons of Gruumsh
Unapproachable East, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Underdark
Magic of Faerun, Faiths and Pantheon
are some examples....

We have the equivalent of racial splat books (the Alien Modules) that tells you how to generate and roleplay an Aslan or Vargr or etc. or etc.
We have the equivalent of regional sourcebooks (The Sector Sourcebooks) with their own focus, places, minor races (Vegans, Sword Worlders, et. al), UWPs
Tech books (Element Class Cruisers)

BUT

Traveller does not have an equivalent main campaign book of the Third Imperium SETTING in the Golden Age in a similar format to Forgotten Realms had done with the planet Faerun as a whole.
Nothing in one spot that says :
Here, generate any of the Major Races (except maybe K'kree I don't need to generate the whole Herd/Family ), here is how you play one. Want more info? Found in Name of Alien Module #
Exploration campaigns. Kinda like this in The Great Rift Region, Want more details? Get The Great Rift
Deneb Sector is a Sector of petty nobles vying for supremacy...
Frontier? The Spinward Marches is yada ada yada. Want more info? Buy...
The Imperium is headed by Emperor Strephon (Age:xx UPP xxxxxH Skills:yada yada). Archduke Dulinor (Age:xx UPP xxxxxG Skills:yada yada), Archduke Craig (Age:xx UPP xxxxxG Skills:yada yada) etc. run regional groups called Domains.... Interestingly an up and comer Duke Norris (UPP xxxxxF yada yada) lots of flavor text to suck in a new player.
This is what is desired, yes?

Last edited by Nathan Brazil; October 3rd, 2019 at 09:33 PM..
Old October 4th, 2019, 03:52 AM

Tiikeri Citizen

Yes.

Think about it this way.

Star wars has a paradigm. It goes roughly like good mystical knights and plucky rebels fight a militaristic bad guy empire in a science famtasy setting filled with ecletic alien races blasters and laser swords.

Expanse goes a crew of misfits navigate the treacherous political and cultural currents of a humanity divided between a militaristic dynamic mars, a screwed up overpopulated bureaucratic earth, and a hard edged radical revolutionary outer planets alliance while exploring a cosmic anomaly.

Traveller goes well, a crew of misgits or a mercenary battalion or a bunch of unemployed soldiers or an aristocrat or a trader crew or a secret agent or a talking dog whos a priest of a talking dog supremacist religion or racist earth fascists can pretty much do anything they want in several empires which are neither good nor bad excep the racist earth fascists or they can hang out on the frontiers which are the way they are because of 3000 years of lore history based on roman history. Get it?

Its hard to explain traveller to someone who has never heard of it, who cant read UPPs and so on, who isnt going to buy and read through the library data supplements, and who isnt going to spend hours reading the traveller wiki when she can play star wars or star trek or firefly or some other game which provides an encapsulated summary of what the game is about and where the player fits into it.

I made handouts and so on, directed her to the traveller wiki, gave her some other links, but people arent going to read through all that unless they already know and love traveller.
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:18 AM

Tiikeri Citizen

Another complication is the changing of generational perceptions. People under 30 think post apocalyptic setting means some zombie tv show instead of thermonuclear World War 3. They didnt see Aliens, they didnt see Outland with sean connery, they didnt see bladerunner, they didnt read jerry pournelle, andre norton, heinlein, or other classic scifi, and they think vampires sparkle.

In othrr words, they are unfamiliar with the cultural knowledge that traveller is grounded in. That cultural knowledge is lived experience for us, but it is history for them, history they didnt have to study in school.
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:33 AM

Tiikeri Citizen

And one more thing.

We probably discovered traveller in small easily absorbed pieces, little black book sized pieces. Ok spinward marches came out, its 4 bucks at the game store and about as long as an oversized pamphlet. Oh, the newest double adventure is out, ill read it during lunch. We absorbed traveller over time.

Now traveller is 40 years of canon over 7 versions of the game. How is a potential new player going to sift through wikis, websites, forums, etc when a lot of it is so old it doesnt show up on google searches? I just checked now and only the traveller wiki could provide info IF someone wanted to spend hours sifting through it.
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:13 AM
Baron

Gallery : 87
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
And one more thing.

We probably discovered traveller in small easily absorbed pieces, little black book sized pieces. Ok spinward marches came out, its 4 bucks at the game store and about as long as an oversized pamphlet. Oh, the newest double adventure is out, ill read it during lunch. We absorbed traveller over time.

Now traveller is 40 years of canon over 7 versions of the game. How is a potential new player going to sift through wikis, websites, forums, etc when a lot of it is so old it doesnt show up on google searches? I just checked now and only the traveller wiki could provide info IF someone wanted to spend hours sifting through it.
This is really the key - start small. They don't have to know everything (and I doubt there is anyone who actually does) about Traveller. They are playing a character just as in any other game. Create some background or have the players create what background they want, then fit it in and grow your universe around that. Somewhere on this forum someone indicated that they had each player go through character generation and basically design the world they grew up in. This was not OTU but if you want to stick with OTU, start with what sort of world they want to start out on, find something that matches in the area you want to play in.

I am always overwhelmed when starting new games - playing Shadowrun the next 2 months. Everyone else has played it before, knows the setting and details. I know nothing about it other than a little bit of research, and came up with a background that I passed to the GM. We'll do character generation in the first session and she will be wrapping her game universe around what I came up with. Some may not fit and we'll figure a way to either make it fit or change it entirely. The point is: I am starting small and the character will grow as I learn the aspects of the game universe.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller