Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old October 9th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
I thought it was the psychology of lazy writing, and the psychology of not bothering to provide ones antagonists with complex motivations.
actually it's the psychology of mass marketing. can't sell what people won't pay for.
Old October 9th, 2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
My error was in refusing to abandon travellers vast freedom of choice and not presenting potential players with a tiny little reductionist version with a limited number of clearly defined roles to choose from set in a preset narrative ... Well, now i know. In the future ill make an ATU and have summary descriptions and handouts ready.
no need to throw out the otu. just start small, and let the players grow into it gradually as they choose.
Old October 9th, 2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
And a twelve gauge shotgun, just in case.
(laugh) always a good backup.
Old October 9th, 2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
They have trouble not treating everything like a joke, and they have trouble roleplaying anything besides puerile self-insert character power fantasies, and they have trouble coming up with character ideas which are not showboats for how cool they are, and they have trouble making the effort to take on such herculean tasks as keeping track of their ammo.
ouch.

well, if you run a game here, I'll keep track of my ammo ....
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Gallery : 0
Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I ran our 1st Call of Cthulhu game. I did the math and saw there was no real recovering from SAN loss. I warned the other players "Don't get too attached to your characters. They tend to die quickly. If you go combat monster on the villains, you WILL die Solve the mystery, then stop the evil." I was not taken seriously because we had finished playing 1st ed Hero System (when they still called it Champions ) where it is really hard to die. Lost players on that one... Would not have lost them had there been a campaign book or a detailed review, but it was a brand new game...
Old October 10th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Tiikeri Citizen

1st CoC game: "Should we bring any guns?"
2nd CoC game: "Why didnt we bring more guns???"
Old October 10th, 2019, 01:01 PM

Tiikeri Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
ouch.

well, if you run a game here, I'll keep track of my ammo ....
Why thank you, flykiller, i appreciate that.

Maybe i could run a game at some point. Can anybody start a new story thread in that section?
Old October 10th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Can anybody start a new story thread in that section?
yeah, just start a new thread (new thread button up in the left hand corner somewhere) and off you go.
Old October 11th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiikeri View Post
They have trouble not treating everything like a joke, and they have trouble roleplaying anything besides puerile self-insert character power fantasies, and they have trouble coming up with character ideas which are not showboats for how cool they are, and they have trouble making the effort to take on such herculean tasks as keeping track of their ammo. Theyre all about the gaming equivalent of junk food: plenty of empty laughs and empty self congratulatory feelings of winning and the schadenfreude of roleplaying socially unacceptable behavior like shooting authority figures and beating down old ladies in starport concourses. And they have trouble not getting upset when the iv drip of laughs, winning, and schadenfreude is interrupted.
And you want to play with these folks, WHY, again? Are they family members? I had trouble squashing =some= of what you say when introducing my kids and their friends to RPGs (not the two sons who are CotI members!), but I had established connections already and an investment in teaching what I'd known and loved since the 1970s. And even then, those kids weren't as bad even starting off strictly from videogame experiences as what you describe. But that was 5-15 years ago; maybe it has gotten worse.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old October 11th, 2019, 07:33 PM

Tiikeri Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
And you want to play with these folks, WHY, again? Are they family members? I had trouble squashing =some= of what you say when introducing my kids and their friends to RPGs (not the two sons who are CotI members!), but I had established connections already and an investment in teaching what I'd known and loved since the 1970s. And even then, those kids weren't as bad even starting off strictly from videogame experiences as what you describe. But that was 5-15 years ago; maybe it has gotten worse.
I dont, but, its what i get when i try to game. Its like going to the drive thru and getting a different rat in your burger every time.

The behaviors ive been describing in this thread and other threads all happened as i described them, but its a composite picture of the behavior of many individuals over a long time. Its not a group of live cretins that i sit across a table from every week. The physical cretins i stopped gaming with a long time ago. The next group of cretins as well. Then there were short li
ed groups with changing memberships. One day i gave up and never ran a live game again. So, i migrated to online gaming forums, and thats where the mary sues, self insert fantasies, and all that exploded. Theres been countless virtual cretins. And it has been getting worse. Before even live cretins would make a desultory effort play a game with some crunch. Now virtual cretins wet themselves at the sight of a chart. Niw its all abou feel good narrative style games and theyre accustomed to being stroked. Yes youre a princess. Yes you have cyber wings. Yes youre the kewlest of them all. Now click on the diceroller ffs. Now the cretins dont know what gender they are and they intriduce themselves with their special pronouns. The difference is the emotionality and mental laziness. They get upset when they dont get their way, they get upset when they dont win, they make their characters appear in locations where they arent so they can paricipate instead of waiting their turn and not ruining it. Theyre allergic to any rules with crunch, to playing like there will be consequences to their stupid actions, and they dont want to make the effort to sandbox. So, thats that i guess.

The good thing is that my creative writing is much better than it used to be.