Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
At least for the moment, smallcraft design has merged with starship design. Here are some sample smallcraft using the draft system.

Lifeboat

Volume: 8.5 tons
Crew: 2
Passengers: 12 (dispatch)
Performance: 1G (orbit to 100D), 2G (aerodynamic)
Life support: 2 person-weeks
Cargo: 1t

The lifeboat is a small ship's boat, used for ferrying passengers and small cargo lots to and from orbit.

Variants: With four tons of configurable space, the craft can be outfitted to shuttle up to 24 passengers, or carry 4.5 tons of cargo, or support two crewmembers for 8 or 9 weeks. Drive upgrades can boost performance, and cabin space can be sacrificed to make room for more drive space. A gunned version has fixed lasers, and missiles on the wings.

Promo: For safety, cost, and durability, nothing beats a gravitic drive (G-drive). These babies are sealed units, complete with drive and fusion+. They're cheaper than M-drives, don't require operational maintenance or access points, and their fuel supply lasts for a year. If you've got an orbital transfer vehicle, or surface-to-orbit craft, or a slow interplanetary liner, then the G-drive is the drive for you.
Tools Link
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Reconnaissance Craft

The recon craft is a very small craft with some pep, used for various planetary reconnaissance ops.

Variants: A 2.5-ton version exists, which disposes of one square of cabin space to boost performance. 'Stretched' versions also exist which boost performance higher.
Tools Link
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Hi robject, just curious. These ship design "squares" look like they represent a full 1/2 ton (for most areas) but they seem to imply that the shape is actually cylindrical in which case they wouldn't be. So what's the actual case? If you can explain it in a few words please.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jeffr0 Citizen
This is looking good.

The lack of this in T4 is a significant irritation.

I see that the "SSD" is incorporated into the design now: also very nice. The deckplan is now a damage record; this one-ups Star Fleet Battle's more abstract approach. This has the potential for a well crafted design with features lacking in other editions.
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Jeffr0 Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by robject:
Promo: For safety, cost, and durability, nothing beats a gravitic drive (G-drive). These babies are sealed units, complete with drive and fusion+. They're cheaper than M-drives, don't require operational maintenance or access points, and their fuel supply lasts for a year. If you've got an orbital transfer vehicle, or surface-to-orbit craft, or a slow interplanetary liner, then the G-drive is the drive for you.
robject,

How do you say "Uncle Albert" in Vilani? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
Hi robject, just curious. These ship design "squares" look like they represent a full 1/2 ton (for most areas) but they seem to imply that the shape is actually cylindrical in which case they wouldn't be. So what's the actual case? If you can explain it in a few words please.
Are you saying I'm wordy?

From Marc's original smallcraft draft:

Hidden Space: Non-Deck Space (NDS) is volume or tonnage placed in the overhead or the bilges. It exists in some Tube Hulls (e.g. 4.5m and 6.0m diameter) because the square grid deck plan cannot accurately reflect curved spaced above or below the deck levels.
Tools Link
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffr0:
robject,

How do you say "Uncle Albert" in Vilani? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Daluu Aalubek, maybe. Makes me think of Admiral Halsey...
Tools Link
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Slow Freighter

The Slow Freighter is a nonatmospheric craft made to ship vacuum-safe cargo containers insystem. Since this low-TL craft uses G-drives, effective acceleration ends at 100D from the source world, and doesn't pick up again until 100D from the target world. Thus, acceleration and deceleration is limited to 200 diameters of the smaller of the two worlds.

Generous, configurable living space is provided, due to the long periods of time needed to complete a transit. Additionally, a small multipurpose craft is provided for orbit-to-surface operations, such as crew transfer or emergency separation.

Long Transit Times Example: running from Earth to Mars, the ship can accelerate at 1.4G for 200 x Mars' diameter, or 1,300,000 km, after which time the ship will be cruising at 0.5 AU per week.

Variants: A more costly version of this vessel uses one or more M-drives to push the loaded craft at about 1G. These drives are usually powered by one or more Fusion+ plants, to reduce maintenance requirements. The M-drives still require a dedicated engineer in addition to the usual crew.

A cheaper version of this vessel has vastly reduced drive capability, and relies on getting a boost from a tug at the sourceworld and being 'caught' by a receiving tug at the target world.
Tools Link
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Jeffr0 Citizen
Are the squares the same as the ones in Snapshot?
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
I think so: each square is 1/2 ton.
Tools Link