Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old August 10th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
After a few months of that, over crowded servers, people literally waiting in line to kill some monster … talk about population bombs. Ideally you're the adventurer who goes around saving the good people of Norrath, but everyone was a "hero". No farmers, no trades people, no regular NPCs, or very few. It was like going to Six-Flags where pre-teens could run amok without parental supervision, even though the EULA flatly stated you needed to be 18+ or older to open an account and "play". I never did an MMORPG after that.

And to be clear, it was not a game. It was a giant on line theme park that pretended to be a game. But there was no puzzle solving, the quests were dim witted and lame, and with 2700 heros running around the same patch of virtual real estate …. I just couldn't take it anymore, and permanently closed my account.

Other game I played had instances of hacking, rude behavior and the like, but it was sporadic, and you could deal with those people. But SONY really bilked the customers for that experience. An interesting concept, but either the developers didn't know what an RPG was, or they deliberately made it vapid so people would keep spending a monthly fee to stay online. I never got a sense that I was on an important quest, and the juvenile behavior was also among older well educated adults who wanted an "adult" fantasy land, so to speak. So.

I'm not sure what else to say about it, other than I'll stick with shooters and RTSes for the time being.

p.s. it truly was the absolute worst online gaming experience I've ever had, and this comes from a man who played the original Star Trek game coded for University Computers back in the early 70s. From Calico to Atari to Insurgency Sandstorm, and everything between 1970 up to a few minutes ago, Everquest was, by virtue of the company you found online, was the worst I have ever interacted with.
Well, maybe we should define what's a game, before saying MMORPGs ae not...

I guess we, old hands, use to like more the face to face gaming, as we use to like more the face to face relations tan online ones, but that just shows we (at lest myself) are a little "out of date", and so not the target for those games...

But ,aain, this only shows they are not my (or your) cup of tea, not that they are not games. As long as people play them for a ludic experience, I'd call them games.

Of course they are also busines, as any game is, and the goal of the company is making money, as most (if not all) commercia lcompanies, but they do so in a game. The fact you or me like it or not is irrlevant, as we ma yjust have other tastes tan those playing them, but saying they are not games is insulting for those that play them, and will no longer be accepted.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old August 12th, 2019, 12:27 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I play Ogame online periodically, as it is something that I can do on the computer while working on other things. Today, I signed in on one of my accounts and discovered an attack mission inbound on one of my planets. Well, I had enough time to burn up most of my resources preparing a proper reception for him, as well as getting some away. It did cost me some of my Dark Matter, but it was worth it. His first wave was 205 large cargo ships. My defenses blew the entire wave into metal toothpicks. His next wave had quite a few combat ships, all of which became metal toothpicks too. He was not happy and sent me a message "You will pay for this". That did bring a smile to my face as I went on vacation for that account. I figure that I will check in about once a week, log on, go off vacation to get some resources, and then go back vacation. I suspect that he will be even more unhappy. That is one of the reasons to play Ogame, not so much that I love it, but driving demented teenagers to greater dementia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 12th, 2019, 11:38 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Marketers and designers now abuse that to sell platform games.
"Abuse"?

I play WoW -- I like WoW. It's fun for me, I've been playing it forever, so it's easy and low load for me.

It's a treadmill of repeating content with moments of storytelling and the other charms that they interlace in to this vastly complicated and enormous game. The scope of the game is truly extraordinary and the production is top notch.

It's fun to watch folks on the WoW forums whine and complain about how most of Blizzards (creator of WoW) decisions appear to have been done in some dark, smoke filled room. Designers sleeping with accountants, twirling their mustaches as they try to squeeze every last dime out of the the player base.

But they're completely wrong. Do other games do this? Yes. "Free to play" with "freemium" payment models are terribly abusive. You can tell when you look at charts of how much people pay for the game and see these geometric spikes at the high end. Folks drag and dropping large sums of money to buy convenience or power. A friend of mine dropped $500 on Neverwinter Nights. Mind, that's really nothing to him. His children didn't starve to fund it, but the point remains. Like gamblers, there are other who have spent that that perhaps should not have.

I've been playing WoW since before the beginning. $3000 easily in sub fees and expansions -- over 15 years. This is comparable to a movie a month, all told. This is probably chicken feed to what Games Workshop fans have invested in their collections.

But the naysayers talk about how Blizzard designs the game to string people out. Keep paying, month to month. And it's just not true. A dedicated player (and appreciate, there are hundreds of hours of content in each individual expansion) can (and have) blown through the game in a single month (a single subscription). 2 months easily.

"But then we can't raid until the next release!" Then un-sub and wait! DON'T PLAY! Don't hang out with your friends, don't do any of the zillion OTHER things available off the main Happy Path game play. The game DOES have lots of things to do. Ostensibly, people do them because they LIKE to do them. They certainly don't HAVE to.

If you want to kill the guy on the box, beat the last boss mob of each phase of the expansion (which is the main storytelling and gaming mechanic in the game), yea, this is readily and easily done with a month of play for each boss.

In the current expansion, we're on 8.2. Second tier. That means $60 for the expansion price, plus another $15 for each of the months for each tier release. The game has been out over a year. 90 days of game time, 100's of hours of game play. There's nothing keeping folks in the game save themselves. Time to level up, time to get gear, time to run the dungeons and raid, and meet the main boss and kill them. Not time to do it at the hardest possible way, that takes a LOT of work and investment -- but you know that going in. But you can play the game, do the quests, see the monsters, and kill them easy in a single month subscription.

A far cry from loot boxes, power ups, "inventory slots" and the other BS that "free to play" games have.
Old August 15th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

I'm going to arrange my lists a bit differently, based on what I would like to run at the FLGS.

Games I'd run with an hour of prep time:

GURPS 3E: My go-to system for over 25 years. My favored campaigns involved: repeating firearms, magic, horror and weird science. I'd have to go with pregenerated characters, though, since even for experienced players character creation can eat up a lot of the 3-4 hours I would have.

Fudge: Ran only once, but very simple mechanics. I'd use it for the same sort of campaign I use GURPS for. Players should have time to create their own characters. Only limiting factor is coming up with a easy-to-use magic system for new players.

Star Wars D6 1e: Virtually everyone knows the setting, easy to create characters, simple rules. Probably my second most run game since it first came out.

Games I'd run with about a week of prep time:

Mongoose Traveller 1e: Never run, but I have read the rules many times. I would not use the 3I setting, though.

Call of Cthulhu 5.5: Familiar with BRP (was a Stormbringer player back in the day), know the Mythos, easy system.

Torg Eternity: Newest game in my collection, never run. The difficulty is not the mechanics but knowing enough of the rules and setting to run a coherent adventure.

Talislanta 2E: The closest I will come to running D&D. My main problem is I am unsure of how difference races fill different niches.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
Talislanta 2E: The closest I will come to running D&D. My main problem is I am unsure of how difference races fill different niches.
The Big Blue Book is a bit better about the niches. Last I checked it was a free download in PDF. Heck, most of 1st-5th is available for free download from talislanta.com

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 16th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The Big Blue Book is a bit better about the niches. Last I checked it was a free download in PDF. Heck, most of 1st-5th is available for free download from talislanta.com
Gracias. I was aware of the free downloads but I didn't know any of them touched on this subject.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old August 16th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
Gracias. I was aware of the free downloads but I didn't know any of them touched on this subject.
As the editions progressed, the niches became a tiny bit more obvious, as did the cultural extent, for most of the cultures. Maps really help.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.