Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:01 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Default Someone tried to sell me Star Wars Rebellion

So the other day I was at Kubla Con in the dealers' room looking at a $99 dollar priced tagged game called "Star Wars; Rebellion". It catches my eye because I played a computer game in the 90s called "Star Wars; Rebellion", and wondered if this was a table top game port of that same game.

TWO salesmen, in their 20s, approach me and ask me if I have any questions about it. I ask if it is a port of the old computer game, they say they don't know, then launch into their sales pitch about how this was a unique game.

Get this (and this is verbatim); "It's new and unique because the players cooperate with one another and play against the Game Master running the game..."

I did a mental double take. Did I hear that right? It's unique because a group of players (the rebels in this case) are playing against the GM (the empire in this case)?

Did I hear that correctly?

And, further, it came with plastic miniatures. So it must be really unique.

And these guys work at a game store?

Whatever. I thanked them for their time and wandered around looking at stuff before heading to one of the lectures. Not really a big deal, but they were essentially trying to sell an RPG game as new to RPers. Admittedly there were lots of table top and card games, but RPGs and Warsims are still the staple for the con and the industry. How do you sell a table top RPG with the SW name as new and unique when it's essentially the same basic game mechanic of every other RPG out there?

Like I say ... whatever. I hope they're not selling shares of their stores.
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

We've been discussing this elsewhere. Lots of new gamers have no idea what role-playing games are. They are used to apps on tablets and smart phones.

I've endured Zocchi's 2 hour lecture on dice quality and refereed around 200 rpg game sessions in 5 years. I think it would have been hard for me to not laugh at those two 'role-playing is new' guys.
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:45 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Yeah, I really didn't want to make a scene by questioning their pitch. I just stood there politely listening, grinning every now and then. I'm still kind of thunderstruck by the experience though.
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

FFG produces very pretty, reasonably good, games.

Some of the people hawking them, however...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:06 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

It felt like I had walked into an auto dealer and a salesman came up to me and started telling me about a new fangled thing called "a car". Seriously, it had that vibe to it.

Most of the games I saw at Kubla Con were table top, except for the massive D&D and Pathfinder wings taking up two whole conference rooms. I mean, are the DMs just making stuff up? Surely there are modules out there. And if so, then how did I get that pitch for SW Rebellion?

Not a big deal. Stranger things have happened.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The D&D and Pathfinder Organized Play programs have vibrant, if long, adventures.

I'm currently running Out of the Abyss for 2.5-3.5 hours per week at my FLGS. We're about halfway through, and it's going into session 30 tomorrow.

Each season of D&D AL has a module about the length of TTA...
It also has 10-20 shorter modules - usually 3-5 hours of play, tho' certain groups stretch the 5 hour into 15 hours or so. I've run EX1-4 5 times.... once, 2.25 hours start to finish; 3 times in the 5-6 hour range, once in a 10-hour (4 sessions weekly) careful crawl.

Note that, in "D&D is a tactical wargame" mode, one can only play every adventure once given 2 sessions a week.... if you're running in Roleplay mode, it would take 3-4 sessions a week to complete all the content during the release season.

All the smaller modules are now available on http://www.dmsguild.com/ ...

Pathfinder's program is similar - a big module per season, a sourcebook to go with it, and a handful or two of shorter modules to fill in the range and for convention play.

So, at present, D&D 5E has like 50+ modules for organized play in electronic publication, 5 hardcover long adventures, and some 3rd party stuff as well. Note that the 3rd party stuff isn't allowed for organized play at present.

Pathfinder has hundreds.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.