Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old October 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Visit HiverLord's Blog
HiverLord Citizen
Default Ship Races?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever run Starship Races, where contestants enter ships in various categories (sort of like Star Wars' Kessel Run, as an example). For instance, standard ships (scouts, free/far traders, etc) for one category, and 'Elite' categories, such as the ship which that one obsessed Noble enters every year...

While the 'standard' categories would be open to anyone with an appropriate ship (who has the entry fee), the 'elite' categories might only be open to nobility, or very rich individuals. The ship designs entered for such contests would of course be many and varied...

I did a search through these forums, but came up empty for any references to this topic.

I can see such a contest being held yearly or every few years at a sector or the Imperial (or other) Capital, with much media coverage, weeks and months of social events and intrigue (both between contestants and their sponsors, as well as political...). There would be attempts to lure away the best engineers and pilots from one's rivals to your own team, bribery, sabotage, and so forth. I see lots of potential for mischief and adventure. The public would watch these races and events leading up to them, perhaps similar to Nascar in our present day.

Has anyone out there run or heard of such a scenario? I'm interested in seeing how someone else may have run one.
Thanks!

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.