Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Hal Citizen+Hal Citizen+
Hi Guys,
Suppose you have the following situation:

A TL 12 Mother World.
A colony transport of 1,000 people
A concentrated colonization effort with fleet support

What would the tech level would that world be considered to be?

If the homeworld retains its colony as part of the political process, would the colony world be treated as TL 12 as well despite the fact that it is severely limited in what kinds of TL 12 goods it has available? Would it be considered to be TL 11 if the bulk of cheap goods were sent to the colony because that is all it can afford?

Just speculating...

You know, that adds another question overall. If a world is not permitted to have colonies or other worlds as part of a coalition while it is a member of the Imperium - what world in its right mind would even want to create colonies? Or is it that the Imperium states that no world may retain its colony indefinitely - and that colony worlds until recognized by the Imperium, are the domain of their parent worlds? Hmmmm...
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Psion Citizen
Well, Traveller's formal defnition is a little hazy, but the definition of TL I find most practical is the standard of living enjoyed by the populace. Definitions that rely on local ability to produce all or a significant portions of the tech at the given TL don't make much sense if you start applying it to worlds in the OTU Imperium.

I would think what TL a colony initially enjoys might have to do with how much trade/support their is from the main world, but it seems almost any small colony without major financial backing will experience an immediate drop in TL, due to the fact that the populace will immediately not have available to them the resources of their homeworld.

IMTU: ct+ mt++ tne-- t4- gt t20++(**) mongt++ ru ge+ 3i jt a pi+ st+ ls kk- hi+ so
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:15 PM

daryen Citizen
Here is my take:

For a colony that will continue to be supported by its main world, the default TL I would use is motherworld TL-1. The exception to this is if the colony is deemed extremely important, then it could be at the full motherworld TL. This is the precident set down in Book 6, and I haven't really seen it broken since.

If a colony is intended to be left on its own, then its TL will be set by the colony organizers. It can be anywhere from motherworld TL on down. The most common would seem to be 8 (to keep some spaceflight tech), 5/6 (for an industrialized society), and 3 (back to nature). But really, any can be picked up to motherworld TL.

For your last question, I don't see anywhere the Imperium prevents extra-world colonies. Just look at Garda-Vilis, which is a wholely-owned "colony" of Vilis. There are several others in the Spinward Marches.

Finally, I have a question back at you. Assume (like in your scenario) the motherworld is fully committed to establishing and growing this colony. Let's even go with your intial number of 1000 colonists. How big will it be in 10 years, 50 years, and 100 years? (Remember, the colony is not on its own, and is fully supported by the motherworld and its government, so new colonists can be added as desired/can be accepted/are willing to go/can be transported.)
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen
actually we don't have enough information to make these decisions. They moved 1000 people...will they be adding more at any rate 1000/yr might prove its an important TL12 project. What infrastructure was delivered with it. Do they have a TL12 manufacturing infrastructure or did they deliver an easier to maintain TL9 manufacturing infrastructure... lotsa questions. Do they have any population control or quota attempts. If I sent 1000 people I'd want to be certain they were capable of breeding and willing. But you don't want population growth to reduce the total workforce or outstride food production and medical supplies.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
I'm not sure why TL would be that much lower for a colony than the originating society. if they're high tech then they're surely going to be packed along with the same stuff that the parent society is capable of producing, as well as the means to produce them (3d printers, nanofactories, autofacs etc that are probably small enough to carry in the colony ship).
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen
Simple reason malenfant,
complexity. Do they send the cutting edge vehicles that are relatively automated or do they build them simple to repair.

Realistically, they'd determine what needs to be high tech and what doesn't. Simplicity and ease of repair are also important.
TAS LISH2836
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Well, I can't picture us sending a colony to Mars with TL 5 equipment, put it that way . I guess it depends on available resources - if it's on a habitable earthlike world then lumber and so on is probably available to build things with. If it's on a rockball then the TL will be higher because they'll need lifesupport tech and the know-how to survive there.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen
agreed. But remember 1) the moon buggy was as simple as they could functionally build it. 2) It also depends on how close the colony is in regard to being resupplied in emergencies.
It takes a lot of matured infrastructure to make a society. If a small manufacturing plant requires retooling every few days (to keep up with repairing parts) that's all its going doing. So, if the TL12 society is working on a habitable world they might choose to have a significant quantity of TL10-9 100% reliable equipment. Not to mention the low tech axes and other equipment.

Savage
TAS LISH2836
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

alanb Citizen
A lot depends on what kind of colony we are talking about.

A colony can either be "a thousand people are dropped on the world to fend for themselves", "a thousand people are landed on a world to explore it and identify economically exploitable resources" or "a thousand people are landed on a world to mine a previously identified economically exploitable resource".

The latter two will probably initially lack much manufacturing (as opposed to repair) capability, but will be equipped with the best available equipment for their job.

The first category will be forced to try and carry everything necessary to build a society from scratch. The other categories will simply carry the requirements for a research station or mine.
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Malenfant:
I'm not sure why TL would be that much lower for a colony than the originating society. if they're high tech then they're surely going to be packed along with the same stuff that the parent society is capable of producing, as well as the means to produce them (3d printers, nanofactories, autofacs etc that are probably small enough to carry in the colony ship).
The TU doesn't have nanofactories or autofacs. T4's Central Supply Catalog had a TL 10 'Mobile Fabrication Facility' that could manufacture devices up to the size of... I forget precisely what, I think a small grav vehicle... But it needed a supply of special alloys, plastic, and ceramic raw material to function.

A colony that is within trading distance of its parent society can (and probably does) have the same TL, but if it is cut off, it has to rely on its own resources. If (as I assume) a certain number of people are necessary to maintain a given tech level, then an isolated colony can easily slip a few tech levels at first.

Hans