Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old February 14th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
What does Mcbean know about McPee?

I guess the camera is his invention (for the care he put on setting it). Is he an expert on mechanics? If so, what specialty does he have on them?
No, he's not the inventor - the patent plate shows someone else. An Ordinance officer, as well. He is the man who is listed as the contact on the announcement board for "OS Owned Inventions Office."
(4d6)[2][6][4][3](15)
He's a cartographer and surveyor, and a civil engineer by training. He's a young officer, and his accent is west coast Scots. He's uncomfortable with mess protocol (he had to stop and think about the forks, and bibbed himself with a napkin for the sloppier bits).

From his uniform, he's not overly much a neat-freak, as it's a bit rumpled, but the remove and reattach evident on the pips, the gold piping-bed, and the collar bombs indicate both a penchant for "right and proper" and a bit of a penny-pinching do-it-oneself mindset.

And he's in a bloody awful hurry to get off-earth. Over lunch, and the last few weeks, you've found he's an only child, his dad is retired from the 42'd Highland Infantry - the Black Watch - and McPhee is a tad upset about the merging into the "Royal Highland Regiment" in '81. His father is a retired Captain - slow promoting, but was the staff captain of the Regimental HQ. His mom died when he was 3; he was, effectively, raised by the regiment, until he was sent off to boarding school. Both his father and his uncle served in the Blackwatch; his uncle Eoin is currently the captain of 2nd company 1st Bn.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; February 14th, 2014 at 05:03 PM..
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

I have a question: In this time period, how would military rifles be packed for shipment on a sea voyage or to some humid jungle?

I'm guessing packed in some sort of grease, which would need to be wiped and cleaned on unpacking.

What sort of container? Individual wrappings, or all in a crate, or ???

I intend for Carson to request three extra rifles from the Army warehouse, all packed and greased for shipping, and wondering what he will get. Also, as he and Smithers will have no use for their rifles during the space voyage, perhaps he should request some extra grease and pack those up, too.

Ideas?

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I'm not positive, but I'll assume it's not too different from modern 2nd world nations...

Crated
Heavily oiled with a heavy oil, but one that a light gun oil will easily liquify. The, wrapped in (now plastic, then) linen or cotton sleeve. Then placed into a crate lined with straw. Typically, 2 rifles to the box, pointed opposite directions, bolts up. If a lot of jostling is expected, more straw on top.

Cased
Fine weapons would be in a custom velveteen or even velvet padded case.

Troops Aboard
Racked in the armory (if there is one) or in a suitable place (quarters or cargo).

"Portable" racks are made for 5 to 20 rifles, and are an A-frame of wood with some metal fittings. There is a lockable pin to go either through the trigger guards that secures all the rifles on one side (between 5 and 10), or that claps just over the fore-stock-end or the butt-stock transition and holds the butt into the tray at the foot. Note that anyone serious about stealing the weapon just breaks the rack apart. (We had a wheeled metal version in my JROTC rifle range for 20 M1's; since we didn't use M1's, we had to chain our match air-rifles into it, as the fore stock was shorter than the M1's, allowing one to free the butt, and then the foresight. Another school had a rack with a trigger bar - they drilled the hole out for their rifles.) The lock would be a padlock.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
[I've got a mental image of Smithers now - a young Craig Fergusson by look, but with a faux english accent that occasionally breaks into the real scots one.]

McPhee : He's a young officer, and his accent is west coast Scots.
So Smithers may be Scottish, faking that he is a Londoner;

and there is something suspicious about the patent claim by our Scottish boy McPhee who is so eager to get off planet;

and then we've got McBEAN!!!

It's some sort of Scottish plot, it is!

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
So Smithers may be Scottish, faking that he is a Londoner;

and there is something suspicious about the patent claim by our Scottish boy McPhee who is so eager to get off planet;

and then we've got McBEAN!!!

It's some sort of Scottish plot, it is!
He's made no patent claim. The patent plate on the cameras is quite clear - "Samuel Anderson's Cartographic System".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Finally, he says, "This way, Sir, and I'll show you the Anderson Patent Three-Camera Cartographic System, and the Anderson Patent Map Plotting System." †

He leads McBean into a nearby hangar, where a trio of cameras and a field development lab are carefully arranged. A table with a trio of arc lamps carefully mounted to a railing system above a drafting table, with plate holders in front of them, and a careful system of gearing.

"Behold, Major Anderson's last project!"
-=-=-=-=-=-
̂† Historically, Major Samuel Anderson, RE (OS) {Bio}, did do Aerial Photography from balloons. He has no historical patents. But the triple camera plotting system was something theorized in the 1870's in the Ordinance Survey, but it wasn't implemented until several decades later. He served with General Wilson in the 1860's and 1870's, and historically died in 1881, following testimony before the House of Lords about the military lifestyle of the RE and R. Artillery.
McPhee's the administrator of the patent, which is assigned to the Ordinance Survey. Essentially, a crown-held patent.

Now, there is a reason (several, actually) he wants to get off world ASAP. Not the least of which is he's no space pilot...

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Couple of questions for the GM, hoping my character would know the answers through his 10 years Army service:

Quote:
6 Lee-Metford Martini-Metford .303 rifles, greased and packed for wet conditions
20 6 magazines for Lee-Metford .303 rifles (or one case, if Qty > 20)
24 6 bayonets for Lee-Metford .303 rifles, with scabbards
6 cases of .303 ball ammunition for above rifles
So is the ammunition interchangeable between the Lee-Metfords and the Martini-Metfields? That would be an important factor, being able to share ammo. And bayonets?

Quote:
"We'll be working into the wee hours to fill before noon. And while your regiment may have the latest, we still haven't a one in stock. Hence, the Martini-Metfields. Yeah, single shot levers. Sorry, best we have. Unless you want a Martini-Henry five-seventy-seven caliber?"
That Martini-Henry sounds interesting. .577. Maybe a couple for Carson and Smithers; kick would probably have the civvies flinching too much to do any good, unless they are accustomed to heavy rifles. Would the .577 count as something like a buffalo rifle, or what?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Couple of questions for the GM, hoping my character would know the answers through his 10 years Army service:

So is the ammunition interchangeable between the Lee-Metfords and the Martini-Metfields? That would be an important factor, being able to share ammo. And bayonets?

That Martini-Henry sounds interesting. .577. Maybe a couple for Carson and Smithers; kick would probably have the civvies flinching too much to do any good, unless they are accustomed to heavy rifles. Would the .577 count as something like a buffalo rifle, or what?
Yes, the Martini-Metfields are single shots in 0.303 British, while the Lee-Metfield is magazine fed in 0.303 British.

The .577 Snyder (2,290J) is about the less energy - big slow vs small fast .303 (3,265J) . Armor should be more effective against it. The .577 can be (as a single shot weapon) fired with improved powder, at some risk of ruining the weapon by fouling. (The breach is capable of higher energy than the Snyder in .577 gives, but a fully filled smokeless .577 Snyder is a bit much for it. Say, 2 wound, save 1 (save 2 if armoured), range 120, Req Str 2.)

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene

Last edited by aramis; February 16th, 2014 at 01:55 AM..
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
The .577 is about the same energy - big slow vs small fast.
So not necessarily any better as a dino rifle? That is what I was wondering, whether a couple of those might serve for our anti-dino guns.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
So not necessarily any better as a dino rifle? That is what I was wondering, whether a couple of those might serve for our anti-dino guns.
If you hop up the powder to full load of smokeless, yeah, I'd give them an extra damage at short range... but if you roll a 6 to hit, there's a chance of fouling and/or locking the breech. 2d6 for number of prior checks or less...

In other words, not a great choice for an anti-dino.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Hey, what's the plan for the Dramatis Personae thread?

I don't remember who requested it (and too lazy to go look).

Was this supposed to be just a list of names and roles, or are we also reposting our "final" character sheets there after we get all equipped and ready for departure?

'Twould be easy for me (as OP on that thread) or Aramis (as GM/Moderator) to put in links to make it a handy reference to character sheets as well as just a list of names.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)