Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old April 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen
Default Higher TL jump

What happens to jump rating as the TL gets higher? Do you get Jump-7 with TL 16 or TL 17? And then Jump-8, etc., etc.? How quickly do they go up?

Or would they use a different system altogether? For a society spread through an entire galaxy to use Jump-6 or anything near would be extremely impractical... it'd take a few centuries to get from one end to another, if not millenia. Entire Charted Space-sized chunks of territory could get conquered and the core worlds wouldn't know until three hundred years later... and then the support troops would take another three hundred years to arrive.

One idea I've had is "HyperJump". A HyperJump drive is something that can be fitted on a normal jump drive. The drive's rating remains the same, but it only spends one day in jumpspace, travelling the same distance. This could make a Jump-1 ship faster than a normal Jump-6 (though still less practical). A HyperJump-6 ship would have the equivalent of Jump-42.
But even this can only get you so far with Jump-6 drives...

Any ideas on higher TL interstellar transport?
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

T5 has rules for what you seek.

However, I'm not sure I agree with them

MegaTraveller extended ship design all the way up to TL22 ish - have to check on that.

Jump rives remained rated as 1-6 though, no new drive. The amount of fuel required to make a jump did go down ad TL increased above TL 16ish

IMHO Traveller jump drives should remain limited to jumps of 1-6 parsecs.

The possibility of some sort of controlled misjump drive at much higher TLs is the way I did it for MTU

1: 1-6 TL 9-25
2: 1-12 TL 26
3: 1-18 TL 27
4: 1-24 TL 28
5: 1-30 TL 29
6: 1-36 TL 30
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Only spending one day in jumpspace breaks the OTU paradigm. In YTU? Go for it.
As an FYI, there is no galaxy-spanning civilization in the OTU. It doesn't even cover our entire spiral. But, yes, getting from one end of the empire to the other takes a ridiculously long time.
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:09 AM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
As an FYI, there is no galaxy-spanning civilization in the OTU. It doesn't even cover our entire spiral.

Well, is there any source that specifically states that? As far as I know, there have been no long-distance explorations apart from the Zhodani Core Route, and two Rim Expeditions (if those even count) an unmapped directly rimward Solomani one, and Turokan's apparently mapped but now lost route.
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Something that might work is locating a network of stargates constructed by the Ancients. These gate are few (average one or two per sector) and located in empty hexes at least two parsecs from any star, which is why they haven't been discovered earlier. Once the first is discovered, the rest are located in short order by exploring the network. This opens up the galaxy (or the part of the galaxy that the Ancients explored, anyway) for exploration and colonization by the peoples of Charted Space.

Or perhaps these gates were made by the Precursor Forerunner Originals rather than the Ancients and thus cover the entire galaxy and the neighboring galaxies as well.

Hans
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancke2 View Post
Something that might work is locating a network of stargates constructed by the Ancients. These gate are few (average one or two per sector) and located in empty hexes at least two parsecs from any star, which is why they haven't been discovered earlier. Once the first is discovered, the rest are located in short order by exploring the network. This opens up the galaxy (or the part of the galaxy that the Ancients explored, anyway) for exploration and colonization by the peoples of Charted Space.

Or perhaps these gates were made by the Precursor Forerunner Originals rather than the Ancients and thus cover the entire galaxy and the neighboring galaxies as well.

Hans
There's a concept very much like that on the Rim Route site (I can't post the link right now because the original page is dead and it's only available on WayBackMachine).

I thought of using portals as one way to facilitate intergalactic travel for high TL societies - the distances between even nearby galaxies still be hundreds (or more, I'm not sure) the diameter of our own galaxy. It's an interesting concept indeed.
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM

BytePro Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
... the distances between even nearby galaxies still be hundreds (or more, I'm not sure) the diameter of our own galaxy. ...
Whoa there .. not so!

Our galaxy is actually quite large - on the order of 100-120 thousand ly in diameter. The larger and smaller Magellanic Clouds are around 2x our galaxy's diameter away!

Circa mid '90's, our nearest galaxy neighbor actually skirts the fringes of our own! It is around 50,000 ly from the Milky Way's center (but only like 1/10 the diameter).

If one counts Dwarf Galaxies - at least one is already within the Milky Way's own disk - Canis Major (obviously the true source of the Vargr ). Its being torn apart as it orbits our galaxy! IIRC, it has a 'tail' that rings the Milky Way several times!

Enjoy!
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Any ideas on higher TL interstellar transport?
I had an idea about something I called a Jump Multiplexer. Basically, it makes a Jump within a Jump and can get the equivalent of a Jump-36 at it's upper end. A jump 3*2 would be equivalent to a Jump-6, a Jump-5*4 would be Jump-20, and of course Jump-6*6 would be Jump-36, and so on... I treated the secondary Jump as drawing power from normal ship operations (Why not, right? You're already in JumpSpace.) - otherwise you couldn't carry enough fuel. Travel time is still 1 week. This kind of drive could get you from the edge of the Spinward Marches to Capitol and the Core Systems in about 1 to 2 months instead of a year or so.

It would definitely change the playing field.

Of course, every other interstellar government would try to steal it.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytePro View Post
Whoa there .. not so!

Our galaxy is actually quite large - on the order of 100-120 thousand ly in diameter. The larger and smaller Magellanic Clouds are around 2x our galaxy's diameter away!

Circa mid '90's, our nearest galaxy neighbor actually skirts the fringes of our own! It is around 50,000 ly from the Milky Way's center (but only like 1/10 the diameter).

If one counts Dwarf Galaxies - at least one is already within the Milky Way's own disk - Canis Major (obviously the true source of the Vargr ). Its being torn apart as it orbits our galaxy! IIRC, it has a 'tail' that rings the Milky Way several times!

Enjoy!
Oh, I wasn't counting the dwarf galaxies (the Magellanic Clouds are a lot smaller than our galaxy too) orbiting this galaxy. I was talking about galaxies of similar size to the Milky Way, like Andromeda. Between the Milky Way "system" and the Andromeda "system" there's still a huge area of void with say, 1 system per 100 sectors or even less.
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
G. Kashkanun Anderson Citizen

Quote:
Well, is there any source that specifically states that? As far as I know, there have been no long-distance explorations apart from the Zhodani Core Route, and two Rim Expeditions (if those even count) an unmapped directly rimward Solomani one, and Turokan's apparently mapped but now lost route.
As far as the OTU is concerned, there is no evidence of any galaxy-wide civilization in the Milky Way -- nor even one spanning any relevant percentage of our galaxy. Even the Ancients civilization didn't seem to have extended itself much past the current boundaries of Charted Space.

Results in your TU may vary -- MTU has at least one group/civilization/entity/what-have-you capable of affecting any part or region of the galaxy -- but as far as the mutually accepted OTU is concerned, nothing like that exists.