Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
What if a person wanted to play a Dark Heresy game but doesnt like the d10 system used by that game? Is it not admirable that I can use MgT to play a traveller game using the dark heresy background setting? I have never liked any system more than the basic traveller rules for simulating modern/sci-fi games and of the traveller systems I am a self proclaimed MgT fan. I would and have considered using MgT for a rehashed twilight 2000 game or even a MgT2300.

You may not use or want shurikats in YTU but that doesnt mean I have no use for them in what ever game I am using the superior MgT rules system to run.
By extension of this logic, should MGT not also include rules for spellcasting wizards, cyberpunk netrunning, steampunk deamonslayers and Nepoleanic equipment so that the one core Traveller rule book can be used as a GURPS-like machine to run any game setting or combination of settings?

[although this still does not find the missing SMG - per the thread title.]
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
By extension of this logic, should MGT not also include rules for spellcasting wizards, cyberpunk netrunning, steampunk deamonslayers and Nepoleanic equipment so that the one core Traveller rule book can be used as a GURPS-like machine to run any game setting or combination of settings?

I would hope that MGT limits itself to science fiction settings...but then again I suppose it wouldn't be that bad to have cyberpunk/steampunk/fantasy elements in certain settings for the rules..look at all the Wanderer posts elsewhere, for example; there's obviously some interest in this. Myself. I'll leave the fantasy stuff to other games and use Traveller as my system for sci-fi.

and yes, this has nothing to do with SMGs per se.

Allen
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen

Under the OGL rules, couldn't someone else do that?

You want to play a fantasy game using the Traveller ruleset? Use the OGL, come up with a magic system, new careers (or adapt the existing ones) and have fun!

Same for Steampunk, Cyberpunk or just about any other style of play. The OGL opens up all that if someone wants to do it.

Right now Mongoose seems to be concentrating on Sci Fi for Traveller, with Babylon 5 and Star Ship Troopers, but that doesn't limit anyone else.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM

Jamus Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post

why not? the 1700 type gear may be something travellers run into on some back water world in a standard traveller game. nothing new with that. fantasy traveller is not my thing and I made a point of saying that I like traveller for modern/sci-fi/sci-fantasy settings. for fantasy I like C&C or D&D4e but really how sci-fi are psionics? it could be argued that psionics are as much fantasy as spell casting.
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
why not? the 1700 type gear may be something travellers run into on some back water world in a standard traveller game. nothing new with that. fantasy traveller is not my thing and I made a point of saying that I like traveller for modern/sci-fi/sci-fantasy settings. for fantasy I like C&C or D&D4e but really how sci-fi are psionics? it could be argued that psionics are as much fantasy as spell casting.
But wouldn't you agree that the inclusion of such stuff as official material would not be faithful to the "Traveller" setting?
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Jamus Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
But wouldn't you agree that the inclusion of such stuff as official material would not be faithful to the "Traveller" setting?
Yes I would agree. I am going to repeat who ever it was and say that when mongoose adds freaky stuff like the shuricat to a book the weapon entry should be clearly labeled as non-canon/what have you so that the more traditional members of our community can skim past and on to the more OTU material.