Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old March 19th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
horatio_hex Citizen
Question

I'm curious : Does anyone used any of the traveller rules, form the old black books to T20, as rules for a Sci-Fi game with your own homebrew setting or for universes inspired from various sources ? If you did, how did it worked out ?

Thank you for your time.
Old March 19th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
Several years ago, My brother and I co-refereed a game using the Traveller rules in the setting of Frank Herbert's Dune series, after Maud'dib takes over the empire from Shaddam IV... It in a word, ruled... We had six players... A face dancer, 2 bene gesserit, a mentat, and two fremen... It involved a lot of "local" travel to the other planets of the Great Houses... we played for a year until we all had to do foolish things like go to college, etc... an awesome game to say the least, as we had wealth of information to draw from for the background...

Good question, what?

[img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Ron Citizen
Last year I played a Fringerworthy campaign using Megatraveller rules. To adapt Traveller character generation to early XXI century technology, the referee made common sense modifications, such as replacing Vacc Suit with Scuba diving and so on.

Fringerworthy is a game with a very cool setting where players' characters explore other dimensions through a series of portals controled by an international agency.

I played two adventures, one featuring a industrial Earth where any petroleum derivative was destroyed in hours by some biological agent and another placed in a medieval Earth where Jerusalem was nuked by an alien invasion force mistoken by dragons. Cool scenarios! I enjoyed them a lot and the rules worked pretty well.
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Gallowglass Citizen
Oh, in the dim and distant I ran a lot not in the OTU. The only thing that was coherent enough to describe as a setting was a version of Blake's 7 but alas, I can remmeber very little and the notes went west over a decade ago.

I have the beginnings of an adaptation of B5 to my CT/MT/T4 hybrid, and the later incarantaion of "the Nearer Stars" (my homegrown 2300/CoC game) used a stripped down version of CT/DGP.

Moving away from the OTU is easiest with FF&S: it explicitly deals with variant technologies, but since I loathe the GDW house system (and never got a copy of the T4 version) I have never used it in anger. Variant FTL drives are probably the most obvious difference between settings, but given the core simplicity of CT/MT/T4 with thought it can be adapted to a very wide range of settings successfully. Certainly "San Jacinto" (the last game in my "the Nearer Stars" setting) worked very well.

Personally, I'd love to see a coherent write up of C J Cherryh's Alliance - Union - Compact books as a Traveller setting: the tech level is _ideal_ for Traveller, the culture (communications at the speed of ships) is very Traveller and teh gritty feel an excellent fit IMO...
Old March 20th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shadowdancer Citizen
I ran a mini-campaign once based on the movies "Alien" and "Aliens" in which the players were Imperial Marines out on bug hunts.

It rocked.
\"A good Traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.\" -- Lau Tsu<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68150\" target=\"_blank\">Traveller T20 Tales of the Bray Keaven story hour</a>
Old March 20th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Rover Citizen
I'm in a campaign that is based on Larry Niven's Known Space. It's going real good so far.

When I die I'm going to donate my body to Science Fiction
Old March 21st, 2003, 04:12 AM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
Puppeteers and stuff? that sounds cool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

RabidVargr Citizen
I've run a game based on an old computer game, System shock 2 (without the nano mods). Wound up coming to a halt mid-game due to an unexpected deployment, but the group really enjoyed it.

RV
Old March 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM

lesbates Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Hex:
I'm curious : Does anyone used any of the traveller rules, form the old black books to T20, as rules for a Sci-Fi game with your own homebrew setting or for universes inspired from various sources ? If you did, how did it worked out ?

Thank you for your time.
I'm in the process building a homebrew universe.

Part of the process involved creating a generic sol subsector which is now archived at:

http://www.uncia.com/lesbates/PUP2/Generic_Sol.html

Feel free to use it yourselves.

Les
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

DaveC Citizen
I've still got a folder full of notes for my 'Vicinity Cluster' campaign, that started off being influenced by the Piers Antony book (mainly 'cos I liked the title,) but then gained elements of other books ('The Centauri Device' by M.John Harrison and the superb 'Dying of the Light' by George R Martin.) Still work on it from time to time, but the problem is the old nostalgia for Aramis, Rhylanor, Yorbund, Regina etc. where I 'cut my scifi gaming teeth' back in the '70's (Wot, me ancient?) [img]smile.gif[/img]