Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old February 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kaladorn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
I am quite confident it will be platform free but it doesn't hurt to ask for confirmation and add my mostly Mac voice to the chorus [img]smile.gif[/img]
Good, good. Another name for the list when the purges come. You lot are almost as bad as the OS/2 Warp fanatics, though you're a notch or two less fervent than the NEXT folks. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:

Please keep it as backwards compatible as possible.

Hmm, that came out wrong No implication of Mac's being backwards intended, really,
You don't need to imply the explicit. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

<PS - I'm just making a chuckle... I have no religion when it comes to OS: Mac, *NIX, BSD, NEXT, Solaris, QNX, OS/2, Windows flavours, DOS... they all do some things well...>
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:

<PS - I'm just making a chuckle... I have no religion when it comes to OS: Mac, *NIX, BSD, NEXT, Solaris, QNX, OS/2, Windows flavours, DOS... they all do some things well...>
Funny, every time a virus comes out for Mac OS X, Apple patches the OS...

Everytime a new virus for windows comes out, M$ says "It's Not Our Fault" and then does nothing...

BTW, Mac OSX is BSD Unix, with a pretty interface, and a Mac OS 9 emulator. And nearly biweekly security update patches.

You've already expressed a distaste for "non-mainstream" OS's, and then claimed no bias. Which one's the lie?

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
The one thing I'd like for a CD would be an interactive map of known space. Click on a sector, and the map for that sector comes up. Clik on a subsector, and its map comes up with all the system. Click on a system, and so on... [img]smile.gif[/img]

The online map at SJGames is a little wonky. It'd be nice to have one for us non DSL folks.
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM

kaladorn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Aramis:
Funny, every time a virus comes out for Mac OS X, Apple patches the OS...

Everytime a new virus for windows comes out, M$ says "It's Not Our Fault" and then does nothing...
While I won't defend Microsoft's record on security, that's an untrue characterization because it is exaggerated and does not reflect the structural changes M$ has made internally. We'll see the results of those in Longhorn and other places as time goes by. Transforming an organization the size of M$ and changing a corporate culture that has proven so economically successful isn't a trivial feat. But is is being done, slowly and in ways which will show out over time.

Yes, their currently release product set truly does have some fairly regular exploits. There was just an article the other day however pointing out (and not from a Windowsphilic source) that Firefox will shortly be experiencing more viruses and other sundry electronic shenanigans due to its growing popularity.

If MacOS or even OSX were as popular and had as many different suites of tools and as much capability across the wide range of enviroments and configurations Windows is deployed in, they might find themselves a little overwhelmed. They aren't so big, don't support the range of offerings, and don't have the same base of crackers attacking their work. Consequently, they look better. Now, I'll concede that alone doesn't explain things, but it is a factor.

Quote:
BTW, Mac OSX is BSD Unix, with a pretty interface, and a Mac OS 9 emulator. And nearly biweekly security update patches.
Mac OSX is a flavour of BSD. If it was actually BSD, they wouldn't call it OSX, now would they? And MacOS is still out there too, no?
With their small market share, they still need to execute biweekly patching. Is that supposed to indicate they've got solid code?

BSD is nice, and is prefered by some security types do as much to their small scale lists of people with commit authority as due to their security audits. I discussed such matters with a computer security professional recently employed by a government agency known for being concerned with such things.

But BSD is also considered by many in the *NIX community to be behind the times in various particulars. While I don't necessarily agree that their desired 'new things' are important, as I personally prefer security over featuresets, the claim can be advanced that BSD's strategy comes with a price.

Quote:
You've already expressed a distaste for "non-mainstream" OS's, and then claimed no bias. Which one's the lie?
Have you stopped beating your wife, Aramis?

If you can't manage a better straw man than, you aren't really trying.

I said I had no preference and that I was being humorous in my other comments. You can choose to make as little or as much of them as you see fit.
Your reaction marks you out as more of a partisan than I.... [img]graemlins/file_28.gif[/img]

Besides which, if we wanted to continue this, I suppose we should take it off of this thread, though I think you should lighten up a bit.

PS - Self-deprecating humour is the best kind. I *am* an OS/2 Warp Connect fanatic! EPM is still the best version of 'notepad' yet. And that OS had a wonderful memory management subsytem and threading model that kicked M$ butt. But marketing ruled the day and IBM marketed M$ into market leadership. So there! [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img]
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
ok knock of the petty bickering. This isn't a thread about OS. You want to talk about that, go to Random Static and open a new thread.

Hunter
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
The one thing I'd like for a CD would be an interactive map of known space. Click on a sector, and the map for that sector comes up. Clik on a subsector, and its map comes up with all the system. Click on a system, and so on... [img]smile.gif[/img]

The online map at SJGames is a little wonky. It'd be nice to have one for us non DSL folks.
I totally agree. This would be a very user friendly system. Great Idea.
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

FlightCommanderSolitude Citizen
Instead of that, I'd prefer a simple PDF version of the map that came with MegaTraveller.
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Thanks cweiskircher. I went looking for such a map a few nights ago, and that how I came across Steve Jacksons JTAS site that has it online. Except that one's a very low resolution and low quality map. That, and it takes a long time to load, even at relatively high baud (high for a dial up anyway). It probably won't happen, but it's nice to think about.
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

JustinThyme Citizen
I thought that was known as "drill-down" data, and was the most attractive feature of a software package called Traveller Universe? I never bought the programme, but I believe that's right....
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM

kaladorn Citizen
Traveller Universe is good for that. <No, I'm not paid to plug it, but it does that well>.

At different times, if you Google hard enough and follow links to links from people's pages, you'll sometimes find some large maps on the net. A couple of fans probably have unsanctioned large scale universe maps up.