Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old November 6th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
If the mistake is a basic lack of knowledge that their character should have but the player doesn't, I'm all for supplying the missing information and making a suggestion.
This is where the basic attribute EDU comes in. Wisdom is also included with EDU or occasionally INT. Have them make an EDU check with the number of Military terms and/or Rank as a Modifier.

The point of having those numbers on the character sheet is that the player isn't the character.
Old November 7th, 2019, 02:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersus View Post
I thought this would be more along the lines of, "What to do when all the players but one have a lot of skills."

I played at one table where everyone had 4-6 terms and one player had one term with no commission nor advancement. The poor character could still do stuff, but wasn't the gunner, the engineer, the pilot, the fighter, etc. He was the character who held the tools for the other characters.

This is less an issue for campaigns than it is for one-shots.

This is where psionics comes in handy. The younger character can max out on their psionic potential.
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Baron

Gallery : 88
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersus View Post
I thought this would be more along the lines of, "What to do when all the players but one have a lot of skills."

I played at one table where everyone had 4-6 terms and one player had one term with no commission nor advancement. The poor character could still do stuff, but wasn't the gunner, the engineer, the pilot, the fighter, etc. He was the character who held the tools for the other characters.

This is less an issue for campaigns than it is for one-shots.
The game we played a bit ago had a couple of 1 term characters. While low in skills, a lot of the game really does not always need that. Particularly as this game was taking place after a ship crash & they all woke up in cold berths. No one had survival or recon, so from that perspective the 1 term players had exactly the same chances and abilities as the multi-term players.

We also evened things out by applying one of the skill packages and favored the, err, less-favored players to help a bit. But in Traveller it is not the lack of skills that matter, but the lack of imagination! (well, that really applies to all RPGs I would hazard)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
BRJN Citizen

Given the "no-experience Player makes inept decision his military career Character would not" situation, I might hand the Player a web tablet with the Google search for "Charge of the Light Brigade" on screen and tell him something like "Your character remembers reading about this in Staff School."