Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 28th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 29
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

Sandcrab: Anyone working at a starport who never goes into space, particularly the ground crews and ship maintenance workers.
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

There are a few entries in the Wiki for slang - it may be a good place to put a lot of these out there to make them more readily available/discoverable (as once no one adds anything to this thread it tends to fade away until the next thread necromancer!)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old August 28th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
A few ideas for slang or sayings form the traveller universe that you or your players could use as flavour or for immersion. suggestions and additions are of course welcome:

Mods, if you feel this isn't the right forum, then please feel free to move it.
The following are my reactions to some of these.

Starless: Someone who lives in one of the underground communities on planets with a hostile atmosphere who has never seen the stars.

GROPOS: Sounds like a sexual offender.

Scarred Hands: A person who has done a lot of manual labor and has the calluses and scars to prove it. Therefore, someone who should be honored for their efforts.

Ka’tai, Alkhalikoi-ko; Meaningless noise, as I have no idea as to what this is. I assume Aslan.

Father: Honorific for "Yahweh", or one's father. If coming from the Solomani, "Big Brother" would be far more representative.

As sincere as a Aslan vegetarian, Vargr freindship, Lies like a Zhodani: Only works if you have some knowledge of who these species are. Quite doubtful in most areas of the Solomani Rim, and meaningless, except for maybe the Aslan, further to the Rimward.

Dropping the Hammer, Dressed, Suited and Booted: Without an explanation, just meaningless military jargon. The average non-military person would have no idea as to what you were saying. My reaction to "Dropping the Hammer" was that you had shot someone.

When you have to explain what you have just said, you loose all of the effect. I have gone through that a fair amount.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 31st, 2019, 10:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
khadaji2002 Citizen+khadaji2002 Citizen+

Thank you all for sharing slang. I have worked in several industries over the years and every time I've changed jobs I've had to learn new slang. I personally believe now there's something hardwired in the brain that says "I know something most people don't, and I'm going to use these obscure words to help me know who's familiar with this stuff as well". Thus slang terms *are* meaningless to the uninitiated, and are thus useful for sorting out those who know from those who don't.

Of course, you then have the poser "stolen valor" types. And we've all seen some of the real-world examples of how they eventually give themselves away due to the lack of intimate knowledge of the culture.

My 2 creds worth.