Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 11th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen
Default Seems Insane to use FGMP except in special circumstances

It seems insane for any infantry to use the FGMP, even if in Battledress. Standard TL14 Battledress protects against 290 Rads (245 for TL13 suits, and 180 Rads for TL14 Combat Armor). Per canon, even nearby friendlies are within the radiation zone when one of these weapons fires (and so only suited personnel can be on the scene). Even given that the suit will protect against the collateral damage from one such discharge, I would expect that in a firefight there would be multiple weapons firing multiple shots. The user and his friends would quickly be exposed to increasing radiation levels - 3 or more shots would probably deliver to them a lethal dose.
On top of that, the weapon is so inherently destructive that the circumstances in which you could use it (even for one shot) would be limited to those where the users wouldn't care about radiation effects on the surroundings, civilian personnel, if any, industrial/cultural/infrastructure assets, etc. And it isn't just the destruction, it is the half-life of the irradiated. So not used for most boarding actions, hostage rescue, city fighting, etc. I think that Imperial Marines would be principally armed with gauss rifles (and some PGMPs for support), with the FGMPs remaining in the Arms Room for use on uninhabited asteroids or zero-g in deep space (or boarding actions where there will be no survivors/prisoners).
Old June 11th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 21
Winged Cat Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRet View Post
It seems insane for any infantry to use the FGMP, even if in Battledress.
Indeed, FGMPs are more specialized tools of destruction than they may seem at first. They are for cases where you really need man-portable maximum destruction because the long-term consequences of letting your target to continue to exist are just that bad.

Quote:
Per canon, even nearby friendlies are within the radiation zone when one of these weapons fires (and so only suited personnel can be on the scene).
This is one of the major limitations. Only suited - or disposable - personnel can be nearby.

Quote:
Even given that the suit will protect against the collateral damage from one such discharge, I would expect that in a firefight there would be multiple weapons firing multiple shots.
Each of which is individually protected against. Block one completely, block them all completely.

Quote:
On top of that, the weapon is so inherently destructive that the circumstances in which you could use it (even for one shot) would be limited to those where the users wouldn't care about radiation effects on the surroundings, civilian personnel, if any, industrial/cultural/infrastructure assets, etc. And it isn't just the destruction, it is the half-life of the irradiated. So not used for most boarding actions, hostage rescue, city fighting, etc.
Pretty much, where you don't care about destroying the surroundings - or where doing so is part of the point. For instance, taking out a battleship when all you have is a boarding party (which you can smuggle aboard).

FGMPs are not primarily defensive weapons. There is good reason why most cities with even low law levels will object to a traveller carrying one.

Quote:
I think that Imperial Marines would be principally armed with gauss rifles (and some PGMPs for support), with the FGMPs remaining in the Arms Room
Quite possibly.
Old June 11th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

FGMP's are to TL14+ forces as RPGs are to TL7...

Designed to give the infantry anti-vehicular firepower.

The line troop should not have the FGMP. But one or two in a squad is great for taking out hard targets.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 11th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

It is a typical example of:
the rule of unintended consequence
alternatively
the rule of the author not thinking through the ramifications of their new kewel idea because it is so kewel.
and finally it is contracted by setting canon:
Quote:
If the party persists in their investigation, they will be ambushed by the thugs
listed above. All of the thugs are this time armed with auto pistols, and will have surprise. After the first round of gunfire, however, a bright flash of light will literally burn them from behind. The two men who burned them will show themselves briefly to check the bodies, and then leave. These unknown protectors are armed with FGMP-15s.
The author of this was a certain Mr Frank Chadwick.

In the original LBB4 only certain plasma and fusion guns required the user to be wearing battle dress, the others have no such requirements.

Note the idea of plasma and fusion guns requiring radiation protection is not unique to MgT - so I am not being snarky towards MgT. Personally I just ignore any mention of radiation effects for man portable plasma and fusion guns, the way it was done in CT and MT, Snapshot, AHL, Striker...
Old June 11th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
FGMP's are to TL14+ forces as RPGs are to TL7...

Designed to give the infantry anti-vehicular firepower.

The line troop should not have the FGMP. But one or two in a squad is great for taking out hard targets.
Not according to LBB4:

Quote:
Tech level 14: A higher proportion of the infantry is equipped with battle dress, and the standard small arm for such troops becomes the PGMP-13.
Tech level 15: Most infantry is by now equipped with battle dress and has converted to the
FGMP-14. The gauss rifle remains the standard arm of non-powered troops.
Old June 11th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Battledress protects you from X Rads from each attack, not just once.

So, Battledress protects you from the radiation side-effect of FGMPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgT2 Core, p94
Radiation is a very present danger to many Travellers, whether
in combat or exploration. Some armour provides a measure of protection against radiation, as noted in the Rad column of the armour table. This amount of protection is deducted from the rads a Traveller receives every time he is exposed to radiation.
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

CaptRet Citizen

I remember old CT (I played in the late 70's, early 80's) where the key factor in use of the PGMP 13 was its weight, bulk and recoil (which then was why you needed Battledress to use it - in fact the early descriptions indicated that there were certain approved positions from which to fire it, which took maximum advantage of the Battledress servos to compensate). The radiation effect has grown up since I last played, albeit it makes sense. That said, the PGMP starts to look like nuclear weapons of the last century - more important for their deterrent effect than for their battlefield effect (a weapon so frightful in its effect that there are limited scenarios for its deployment).
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I look at it as an attempt for the rules guy to reign in the Munchkins from running wild with their BFG9000s. Season to taste the way you like for your universe.
IMTU it's not even an issue, TL10 is max and it's the gauss rifle and TL12 plasma weapon that's in the lab now.

Of course I'm very CT/Striker, and so the real man portable god weapon is the TL15 version of the RP-A, with battledress able to carry it AND it's power source, that's the REAL anti-vehicle/MG squad weapon..... Heck it can shoot through unarmored starship hull.
AND light enough for the Combat Armor light inf crowd to use like a heavy MG.

The grav-assisted PG/FGMPs are clearly for the CA people, but the expense is such that you might as well go BD and get the lifting power and endurance, at least for the heavy weapons support, robots for the logistical carry in leg/light grav situations.

Speaking of the Combat Armor crew, I would expect their standard rifle to be the TL13 X-ray laser. Nice and clean in CT/Striker, but arguably it too should be radiological.
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Noble

I don't see why a plasma gun or fusion gun need to be emitting ionizing radiation at all.

A plasma is only radioactive if made from an element that is radioactive to start with - shooting a bolt of hydrogen plasma is not going to emit ionizing radiation.
Quote:
The power pack powers a laser ignition system in the weapon itself which heats hydrogen fuel to a plasma state. The plasma is contained in the ignition chamber briefly and then released through a magnetically focused field along the weapon's barrel.
That bolt of plasma could be moving at up to 100km/s if magnetically accelerated, but there is no source of ionizing radiation.
A fusion gun is described as:
Quote:
Similar in design and function to the PGMP-13, the FGMP-14 differs only in that it contains the plasma slightly longer until a fusion reaction begins to take place.
Now this is where magic technology must be invoked - perhaps a gravitic containment field to squeeze the plasma, or perhaps damper technology is involved.
The fusing of hydrogen produces deuterium, a positron and a gamma ray; the positron and gamma radiation can be contained within the weapon itself and all you are firing is a bolt of deuterium.
Old June 11th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I don't see why a plasma gun or fusion gun need to be emitting ionizing radiation at all.
It doesn't. But Infrared is still radiation. Just not ionizing.