Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 12th, 2019, 04:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Do trebuchets get much love?
No, but now you mention it, I think they should...
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

CaptRet Citizen

Kilemall, that would be most kind if you could "hotwire" a few rules for Mongoose manpads. As you noted, the manpads are fairly important in Traveller, given the ubiquity of grav vehicles in higher tech military environments (and helicopters in mid-tech), and their role for antitank defense. I would think that HEAP would be the warhead of choice for armored targets (with maybe fragmentation for killing the more fragile sort of target - such as most mid tech helicopters or non-armored grav vehicles). Thank you.
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRet View Post
Kilemall, that would be most kind if you could "hotwire" a few rules for Mongoose manpads. As you noted, the manpads are fairly important in Traveller, given the ubiquity of grav vehicles in higher tech military environments (and helicopters in mid-tech), and their role for antitank defense. I would think that HEAP would be the warhead of choice for armored targets (with maybe fragmentation for killing the more fragile sort of target - such as most mid tech helicopters or non-armored grav vehicles). Thank you.

Ok, before I get into this, that other thread strongly suggests you are 'crossing streams' and mixing MgT1E and 2E. Which one are you looking to use as your actual baseline resolution system?
Old June 13th, 2019, 02:22 PM

CaptRet Citizen

I'm thinking of using the values (AP, damage dice, etc.) for armor, weapons and ammunition from the CSC 2nd edition (which is what I have) while using the 1st edition Core Rulebook (which is what I have) for basic rules (while adding in such 2nd edition special characteristics as the effects of Scope, Blast, AP, DD, etc., which readers of this forum have been kind enough to explain to me). I know its a dog's mess, but it is what I have available (plus an old copy of the Striker Rules which, as you noted, don't really correlate too well). Thanks for your help.
Old June 13th, 2019, 05:16 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Gaaah, I haven't read MgT2E CSC, but that strikes me as kinda messy. The values by nature of resolving a bit differently are going to likely cause oddities like you noted in the other thread about BD.

Definitely be different combat results then other tables. Not judging, just saying you are definitely in your own style going that way.

Now then, follow up question- are you looking for handheld range within the normal Medium/Long/Very Long type ranges, .5-3km range handheld for light stuff, or the vehicle mounted longer range missiles?

The light tactical missiles I mentioned before fill the bill for the vehicle strapped to launcher rail/turret stuff. A couple different answers I see as pretty easy for the other two range cases.
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:46 AM

CaptRet Citizen

Thanks kilemall. I'm looking for the man-portable versions of AT and AD missiles, what you might expect a two man crew or single operator to handle (essentially to provide support within an infantry company or possibly battalion).
Old June 15th, 2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRet View Post
Thanks kilemall. I'm looking for the man-portable versions of AT and AD missiles, what you might expect a two man crew or single operator to handle (essentially to provide support within an infantry company or possibly battalion).
The tac missile will do just fine for your two man crew served light infantry SAM work. Just use the Tac launcher, haul out the missiles from a truck/grav hauler, good to go.

For the short range man-portable missile, the table on Page 119 and the preceding pages' fluff description is most of what you want. But like most of the artillery/rocket section, the ammo/warhead cost is not published. Which is pretty crazy as there are sorts of modifiers defined, just not the base values.

So the reusable launchers aren't much good without the ammo cost, but the disposable launchers will work well enough I think.

The disposable launchers require skill Heavy Weapons (Launcher). They are classified as Rocket which is in the MgT1E range modifier table.

Maximum range in the fluff test is mentioned as 1km. I would homerule the range to be TL x 100m, so TL8 is .8km, TL10 1km, TL12 1.2km, etc.

The other option is to get them as guided disposable launchers. They are described as anti-tank and anti-air weapons, so perfect for grav targets. The base to hit is 8+ no matter the range, TL8 minimum, and 4x the cost. Taking the artillery warhead modifiers to this standard 4x for smart launchers, I would say another homerule-

SMART 4xcost (DM 0) TL8
GENIUS 6xcost (DM +2) TL10
BRILLIANT 8x cost (DM +4) TL12

The guided levels can be applied to earlier TL versions.

I'll list the disposable weapons, you can multiply with the guided component. That should yield a nice range of optional price and performance points, unguided plus 3 guided for 24 launcher options.

I'm converting the various AP designations to their effect.

Hopefully this will do.

Weapon TL Damage Recoil Cost Mass (kg)
Light Disposable Launcher 6 7d6 Ignore 7 Armor 0 200 6
Medium Disposable Launcher 7 8d6 Ignore 8 Armor 0 350 9
Heavy Disposable Launcher 8 9d6 Ignore 9 Armor 1 500 13
Improved Heavy Disposable Launcher 9 9d6 Ignore 18 Armor 1 600 13
Advanced Medium Disposable Launcher 10 8d6 Ignore 24 Armor 1 500 13
Plasma Disposable Launcher 12 8d6 Ignore 32 Armor 1 800 8
Old June 15th, 2019, 10:29 AM

CaptRet Citizen