Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old July 1st, 2018, 06:12 PM
Baron

Gallery : 87
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
FT doesn't have an option to map to the Cosmographer maps or vice versa?

Like start a world under FT and map it out on Cosmographer?
Sadly, no. There is a fractal world generator you can buy w/Campaign cartographer and that will export to the world templates. Unless the fractal world generator you are talking IS that one, in which case, yes, yes it does.

I have a few world generators I play with. Some are fractal, some are not. I even got the Cosmographer add-on for Campaign Cartographer but so far have not been overly impressed with it (although I did just figure out the subsector bit, so perhaps it is just user issues. Added a subsector to the images as a test).

If you poke around the gallery you can see various attempts I've made with Traveller-style maps and map generators. Some are fractal, some are not. Generally done w/free software. And a lot of time...

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old July 1st, 2018, 06:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Since it’s a water world, do you really need the standard icosehedral world map? Perhaps you can get away with doing the interesting areas as inset maps on a standard hex grid. Seems like it would be much easier to accomplish and still get the job done.
Old July 1st, 2018, 08:14 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

We'll see. I did a real super rough map last night with some points of interest. But I'm still waiting to hear back from some people.
Old July 1st, 2018, 09:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
FT doesn't have an option to map to the Cosmographer maps or vice versa?

Like start a world under FT and map it out on Cosmographer?
I can export a world in FT3 so the output is an icosahedral world, using the Traveller grid. Thats what I have on my site linked in my .sig. Edit it in CC3/CC3Plus. While the FT3 maps can be edited in FT3, I don't like doing it as I became used to CC2 then CC3 before I bought the Cosmographer add-on.

You can also load up CC3/CC3Plus, click on the Cosmographer icon to load that, then make a map using several methods. 1) Local Imperial or metric, 2) satellite style map, 3) or world Imperial or metric. Some of these use hexagon symbls, some you just make a large continent of green or desert, and then place symbols on top of that. Yu can make a world with continents using this method. And then make smaller maps to show the local area around a downport.

Since I have all add-ons, and Annual issues, I'm not certain what comes with just plain Cosmographer, but it should be listed on the Profantasy site. I have seen planets turned out just using Cosmographer.

Annuals are a year's worth of style packs with fills and symbols, first of the month is when they come out. There are Annual issue samples that are free and fully functional on the Profantasy site. When you buy them, you pay for 12 issues, one download per month. Ones from previous years can be downloaded as one large zip file.
Old July 1st, 2018, 09:04 PM

info
Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Sadly, no. There is a fractal world generator you can buy w/Campaign cartographer and that will export to the world templates. Unless the fractal world generator you are talking IS that one, in which case, yes, yes it does.

I have a few world generators I play with. Some are fractal, some are not. I even got the Cosmographer add-on for Campaign Cartographer but so far have not been overly impressed with it (although I did just figure out the subsector bit, so perhaps it is just user issues. Added a subsector to the images as a test).

If you poke around the gallery you can see various attempts I've made with Traveller-style maps and map generators. Some are fractal, some are not. Generally done w/free software. And a lot of time...
Stop on by the Profantasy forums, lots of folks there to help.

I used FT3 to turn out 1264 worlds, and Cosmo to create one hex symbol map.

Here is the one I made with the hexagon mapping in Cosmo.

http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net...lanet-kran-now

All of the rest were made with FT3. Brought up ito CC3/CC3+ and added a world name.

Last edited by JimMarn; July 1st, 2018 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: info
Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:31 AM
Baron

Gallery : 87
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarn View Post
info

Stop on by the Profantasy forums, lots of folks there to help.

I used FT3 to turn out 1264 worlds, and Cosmo to create one hex symbol map.

Here is the one I made with the hexagon mapping in Cosmo.

http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net...lanet-kran-now

All of the rest were made with FT3. Brought up ito CC3/CC3+ and added a world name.
Thanks. I've poked a bit in the forums and have been doing a few of the tutorials. There is a fairly steep learning curve to making nice maps in any system, and I've only just started messing with CC3. I may get the annual - I did the Bundle of Holding thing and got a bunch of stuff but I am not using it enough yet to justify the cost. But once I do...

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old July 2nd, 2018, 11:02 AM

Profantasy's software is based on the FastCAD software engine, so there is a bit to learn. The tutorials get you used to the program's interface.

My maps are more for gaming. There are several folks in the forums who do professional maps and book illustrations.

For my advanced dungeons and dragons world, I have made over three thousand maps. Some with CC2, which I have mostly taken off my site and replaced with CC3/CC3+ maps. So about 1,600 maps there now.

You're welcome.

Last edited by JimMarn; July 2nd, 2018 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: info
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:54 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I've never seen Campaign Cartographer used for any publication, and certainly not for any Traveller publication. Every campaign module I've ever come across now or in years past, has been drawn by an artist using either a T-square and drafting table or a CAD program.

But thanks for trying to be helpful.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:22 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

And what about the ols nad proven Heaven and Earth?

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I've never seen Campaign Cartographer used for any publication, and certainly not for any Traveller publication. Every campaign module I've ever come across now or in years past, has been drawn by an artist using either a T-square and drafting table or a CAD program.

But thanks for trying to be helpful.
CC was used for Kingdoms of Kalamar, 7th Sea 1E, L5R 2E, several dozen AD&D 2E products... In the case of L5R 2E, they even used the stock symbol set...

Note that a reduced version of CC2 was included on the AD&D Master Tools CD, and included maps from a dozen products in CC2 format.

Many CC3 maps look hand drawn; there are symbol sets specifically for the hand drawn look by third parties.

It's a pain to get right, but it's based off a professional CAD open source core, then extended for RPG mapping.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.