Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old October 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
The Ziru Sirka was just like Old China - very centralized, and VERY conservative. The Terrans had many competing states, so they adopted ideas much more readily. The Third Imperium is centralized, but less so than the First, so there is innovation, but slow innovation.
that sounds like a great explanation as to "slow" progress by the 3i. it's not "slow", it's "deliberate".

another great adventure idea - a branch of the scouts whose job is to find and stop those who have "gone too far too fast". no telling what they'd be up against ....
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
They are there...

in the dark, forgotten places...

waiting... [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
A facility in orbit around a brown dwarf, sitting unnoticed between star systems, enough of it's brigades still viable if revived to be a force to be reckoned with within the subsector. Then, the flash of a jump arrival awakens the dormant management system.
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 10
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schulz View Post
[ . . . ]
Anyrate, what I'm getting at is there could be tons of bad combinations of Solomani adventuresness and Vilani knowhow hidden throughout the Imperium. [ . . . ]
I've done a 'verse set during the slow collapse of the Second Imperium, as it's unravelling after the banking crisis. This setting would be great to introduce all sorts of obscenities into. Genetic supersoldiers, modified humans like Bujold's Quaddies, old, abandoned Leyland-Futanari corporate research facilities, slightly flaky A.I. with a history of blue-on-blue incidents ...

I felt that this 'verse would have a slightly post-apocalyptic feel. I think Hard Times does something similar but I haven't read it. The idea was that you could find all sorts of relics squirreled away in old Imperial facilities that the guards just walked off after 6 months of not getting paid. Maybe the crew was just left there and never picked up.
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:28 PM

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

one of the dirty little secrets of the Rule of Man was its biological warfare programs.

begun as weapons of last resort in the darkest days of the Interstellar Wars, and carried on thoughout the Confederation and the Rule of Man, shuffled form budget to budget, these programs reached a sophistication never seen before...or since.

one of the first offspring of this program were targeted viruses, that attacked only those of Vlani descent. these were then refined, first to where they could target specific castes or worlds, then to the point where individual families could be stuck with by a virus, released three weeks earlier in a crowded restaurant, that affected only them. it is rumoured that at least one battle in the interstellar wars was won because the vlani admiral was affected by a vague malaise that seemed to slow their thoughts and deaden their reactions.

Once the interstellar wars ended, the terrans had access to the produce of thousands of worlds, and this, coupled with the advanced bio-sciences that he Vlani had lacked, led to an explosion of chemical, pharmaceutical and genetic treatments that achieved feats that stagger the minds of modern science.

terran mastery of genetics was such that they were able to create virus that could overwrite a persons genetic codes, allowing them to re-make a person into whatever image they chose. they could alter a persons hair colour, height, skin colour, almost anything controlled by the genes. Stories say the terrans used this to create the ultimate infiltrators, who matched their targets perfectly, down to their very genes.

their is some evidence that these viruses were able to select for other, more emphical traits, like subservience, or loyalty.

what is certain that at least one of these plagues was released during the fratricidal conflicts of the Twilight, a highly vicious killer with an extended incubation period, that nearly depopulated parts of the Verge and Illelish sectors, and was only stopped due to a built in timer on the virus activating and mutating it into something similar to the common cold.

and those are just the stories which have some evidence to support them......

Quote:
I felt that this 'verse would have a slightly post-apocalyptic feel. I think Hard Times does something similar but I haven't read it. The idea was that you could find all sorts of relics squirreled away in old Imperial facilities that the guards just walked off after 6 months of not getting paid. Maybe the crew was just left there and never picked up
or maybe they didn't leave, but, after seeing the government they worked for going down the toilet, have decided that the secrets that they guard are so bad, they must be contained at all costs, even if that means shooting any "outsiders" they see, in order to save the wider world form what they guard......
Old September 7th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Peer of the Realm

Bromo33333 Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Bromo33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
secret bases hidden in jumpspace (crewed by you know what
I had not considered that. Ha! I'd love to use this. But maybe I wateched 'Event Horizon' too much.
Old September 8th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

You do not need to get so creative with the idea of biological warfare within the 2nd Imperium. Any pharmaceutical company doing research on new antibiotics is also going to be a biological weapons research lab, as they have to have viable samples of the bugs to test the antibiotics on. Given the large number of planets within the Imperium, you are going to have a large number of diseases localized to one planet (hopefully), with research being done to deal with the disease. Simply introducing that disease to a new planet, where the population has no natural immunity to it, gives the possibility of a massive plague developing, similar to the Spanish Flu outbreak at the end of World War One, the Black Death in Europe, or the havoc wrought on the American Indians tribes by European smallpox and measles.

Currently, the malaria parasite is developing resistant strains to the current range of malarial drugs. The is a potential biological agent readily available, and some of the antimalarial drugs have some fairly nasty sides effects. There are men at the local VA hospital that are still getting treated for malaria picked up in World War 2 in the Southwest Pacific area and the Philippines.

Another real world example. When I was first hospitalized at Walter Reed back in the Spring of 1977, I had for a few days a roommate who was an Army doctor researching tropical diseases in the Amazon region. In the course of his research, he naturally picked one up. It was a parasite similar to malaria, but was a new one, and not contagious. The French, it turned out, has just run into the same thing as well, and were starting to work on drugs for it. The doctor went from being a researcher to being the subject of a research study. I never did find out what the result was.

Then there is the Ebola virus in Africa. There is clearly a pool of resistant carriers in the wild, and once transmitted to humans, it is highly contagious and highly fatal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 9th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
one of the dirty little secrets of the Rule of Man was its biological warfare programs....
And it got used to genocidal effect way out past the Spinward Marches, after the fall of the Second Imperium, by the Sindalian Empire.

They also had psionics, since the Psionic Suppressions were a Third Imperium event, long after the Sindalians were gone.
Old September 9th, 2019, 10:01 AM

Visit Selandia's Blog
Selandia Citizen+Selandia Citizen+

now that i retired from my day job, I could work on an old idea, thanks to you:

TL 18 Darrian: Darian pose as TL 16 frozen-decaying to avoid a TI "anti-cybernetic" crusade, or a pre-emptive strike against an enemy gathering an technological advantage that you do not wish to race because of a social doctrine of deliberate slow tech advancement.

Their war fleet is built and kept n deep space, largely by robots. Parts and whatever tl 15-14 convenient sub assemblies are made and brought from planets where shipyards explain their presence.

a) you are TI scouts posing as traders to investigate Darian technologies
b) you are Darian counter-intelligence with a lot of maximum tl-15 cool stuff. However, you cannot fall in TI hands… expect your boss to hold your self destroy switch in his hand, in case the automated SD system fails or the AI is found wanting.

have fun

Selandia
TAS, Bragg, Gush 1021,
Nothing is perfect, unless I fix it