Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > GURPS Traveller

GURPS Traveller A forum for discussing GURPS Traveller from Steve Jackson Games

Old August 11th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Highorbit_drifter Citizen

If its not public, and SJ Games hasn't said anything, I'd guess they don't have a deal yet. I'm sure JTAS is worth a bundle and big piles of money usually need a lot of talking about. Everybody seems to want to make sure that material stays available - which is probably the "happy".

And if Mr. Miller wants to sell GURPS material, the other products in the line aside from JTAS, he's going to need a license. Unless they negotiated THAT particular chestnut back in '98 or whenever. Hopefully they didn't put that off until "later" and suddenly its a big problem in their laps.
Old August 11th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Yep, they will probably only allow moot members to buy them too.
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highorbit_drifter View Post
If its not public, and SJ Games hasn't said anything, I'd guess they don't have a deal yet.
I can appreciate the need to keep things secret during negotiations. But the CotI Moot is hardly a private venue. It's a public venue with a pay wall. Or am I wrong? Does the pay wall make a legal difference? I don't know enough about the relevant law to say for sure, but it would surprise me to learn that there's a good sound legal reason (as opposed to whatever social reasons there may be) to tell the paying public but not us freeloaders.

Hans
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highorbit_drifter View Post
If its not public, and SJ Games hasn't said anything, I'd guess they don't have a deal yet. I'm sure JTAS is worth a bundle and big piles of money usually need a lot of talking about. Everybody seems to want to make sure that material stays available - which is probably the "happy".

And if Mr. Miller wants to sell GURPS material, the other products in the line aside from JTAS, he's going to need a license. Unless they negotiated THAT particular chestnut back in '98 or whenever. Hopefully they didn't put that off until "later" and suddenly its a big problem in their laps.
Marc and Steve are working out the implementation details prior to the public announcement.

Hans has objected to moot membership being required for anything in the past... we just politely ignore his grumbling about it, and point out that it's what pays the bills and keeps COTI online.

The primary benefit of Moot Membership is keeping COTI alive, as well as FarFuture.net (Same server). COTI's a significant portion of the server usage. Marc could go a lot cheaper if it weren't for the expensive pet project, COTI.

The secondary benefit set, is the Audience Hall, increased Private Messages space, and the ability to use custom avatars, host Play-by-post in a semi-private subforum, have a COTI blog...

The tertiary is the title on the board, the noble card in the mail, and a few other occasional things.

In this case, Marc's rewarding the people who pay to keep him by, every couple weeks, posting something in the audience hall. Sometimes, it's "Hey, influence me about this proposed bit of canon"... Sometimes, it's "Hey, I'm in negotiations with ___ about ___, so we can do ___"

Soon as the plans are finalized, Marc will have Don, Robject, or I make the announcement in the TAS News Forum, and I'm certain SJG will announce it as well.

FYI: The GURPS Traveller license actually expired 31 Dec 2014, and was handshake-deal extended to 31 Dec 2015. Marc and Steve are hashing out the niggling details. Once the actual final details are done, it will be announced in a BIG way. As in, once I find them out, I'll be putting an announcement that will show up in EVERY COTI forum until you've read it.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Hans has objected to moot membership being required for anything in the past... we just politely ignore his grumbling about it, and point out that it's what pays the bills and keeps COTI online.
That's incorrect. I've complained about Moot membership being required in one or two specific cases where I thought it inappropriate. Not about it being required for anything at all. IIRC it's mostly been about Moot members posting something in the Moot area and then referring to that in the public forums, which I think is a rude thing to do.

Just as posting an announcement about a subject that is of general interest to everybody in an area restricted to some seems rude.

Quote:
The primary benefit of Moot Membership is keeping COTI alive, as well as FarFuture.net (Same server). COTI's a significant portion of the server usage. Marc could go a lot cheaper if it weren't for the expensive pet project, COTI.

The secondary benefit set, is the Audience Hall, increased Private Messages space, and the ability to use custom avatars, host Play-by-post in a semi-private subforum, have a COTI blog...

The tertiary is the title on the board, the noble card in the mail, and a few other occasional things.
And none of this have I ever complained about. I'm fine with the people who support CotI getting special privileges. They deserve it.

Quote:
In this case, Marc's rewarding the people who pay to keep him by, every couple weeks, posting something in the audience hall. Sometimes, it's "Hey, influence me about this proposed bit of canon"... Sometimes, it's "Hey, I'm in negotiations with ___ about ___, so we can do ___"
Being excluded from discussion of canon does annoy me, that's true. I don't think I've complained about it, but I may have. It doesn't seem cost-effective to restrict that to the Moot, but perhaps it is.

Hans

Last edited by rancke; August 11th, 2015 at 07:49 AM..
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Highorbit_drifter Citizen

That is certainly a good argument to join the Moot. I didn't realize it was as public as it apparently is. Or the level of access.