Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old February 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
After reading this thread, I was thinking of adding a few luxuries to my upcomming Nymph-Class Yacht design; the only problem was that Book 2, as well as HG, lists only the bare minimum components - and I'd like to know how a good onboard medical facility would cost (A corp exec would want to recieve top-quality medical care even if out of his arcology), and how several high-status facilities (hydroponic "park", luxury dining hall, conference room, swimming pool, spa) would cost in LBB-2 and what would be their tonnage. The dining hall and the conference room would just count as 4-8 "staterooms" each, but I'd like to recieve help with the rest.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
After reading this thread, I was thinking of adding a few luxuries to my upcomming Nymph-Class Yacht design; the only problem was that Book 2, as well as HG, lists only the bare minimum components - and I'd like to know how a good onboard medical facility would cost (A corp exec would want to recieve top-quality medical care even if out of his arcology), and how several high-status facilities (hydroponic "park", luxury dining hall, conference room, swimming pool, spa) would cost in LBB-2 and what would be their tonnage. The dining hall and the conference room would just count as 4-8 "staterooms" each, but I'd like to recieve help with the rest.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
The easiest is of course to just use the stateroom tonnage and cost for all such additional (luxury or other) features. Not easy on a small ship since there's not a lot of volume to work with. This is actually included in the first edition of HG (pg. 32) quoted below (note the * <see note below> and [text] is from my own notes):

"The following items are suggested uses for interior space aboard a starship. The actual masses and costs for such areas are left to the referee when actually designing such a ship. Many of these items are subsumed in the costs and tonnages of 4 ton staterooms. In most cases, such areas are required only when drawing up deck plans. Food Service Areas, including mess hall, galley, ward room. Scientific Areas, including commo suites*, avionics areas*, electronics counter-measures installations*, gunnery simulation trainers*, computer operations areas* and [ship maintenance and repair] parts storage*. Vehicle Decks, including garaging, maintenance bays, launching areas and parts storage. Recycling Stations*. Medical Areas, including isolation wards, surgeries, pharmacies, and examination rooms. Recreational Areas, including theatres, crafts shops, libraries, and pool rooms. Agricultural Areas, including fresh food gardens, hydroponics areas, and algae tanks. Troop Barracks, including squad areas, training rooms, armories, brigs, [small arms] ammunition magazines, vacc suit storage, capsule launch areas and briefing rooms."

Quite a bit to fit into the 2 tons of common space for each stateroom especially when you need corridors connecting it all [img]smile.gif[/img]

* I think some of the above, as noted by * in the text, is more appropriate to take out of the bridge tonnage which gives you a little more room to play with. Again don't forget half your bridge is probably the actual bridge with workstations for the crew and other electronics.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
The easiest is of course to just use the stateroom tonnage and cost for all such additional (luxury or other) features. Not easy on a small ship since there's not a lot of volume to work with. This is actually included in the first edition of HG (pg. 32) quoted below (note the * <see note below> and [text] is from my own notes):

"The following items are suggested uses for interior space aboard a starship. The actual masses and costs for such areas are left to the referee when actually designing such a ship. Many of these items are subsumed in the costs and tonnages of 4 ton staterooms. In most cases, such areas are required only when drawing up deck plans. Food Service Areas, including mess hall, galley, ward room. Scientific Areas, including commo suites*, avionics areas*, electronics counter-measures installations*, gunnery simulation trainers*, computer operations areas* and [ship maintenance and repair] parts storage*. Vehicle Decks, including garaging, maintenance bays, launching areas and parts storage. Recycling Stations*. Medical Areas, including isolation wards, surgeries, pharmacies, and examination rooms. Recreational Areas, including theatres, crafts shops, libraries, and pool rooms. Agricultural Areas, including fresh food gardens, hydroponics areas, and algae tanks. Troop Barracks, including squad areas, training rooms, armories, brigs, [small arms] ammunition magazines, vacc suit storage, capsule launch areas and briefing rooms."

Quite a bit to fit into the 2 tons of common space for each stateroom especially when you need corridors connecting it all [img]smile.gif[/img]

* I think some of the above, as noted by * in the text, is more appropriate to take out of the bridge tonnage which gives you a little more room to play with. Again don't forget half your bridge is probably the actual bridge with workstations for the crew and other electronics.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
I'd put a high-quality medical facility at 8 tons, or about the size of two staterooms, and at probably double the cost -- so MCr8. The Doctor would require his own stateroom, to boot. A third stateroom-sized room adjacent to the medic facility could contain Emergency Low Berths... so another 4 tons and few more MCr.

A hydroponics park would probably be double height (6m tall), and might come in 8-ton modules at MCr1 per module. A single, 8 ton module would be more like a small conservatory, while a larger version, say 72 tons, would be more nearly parklike.

A swimming pool would probably be 9m from deep end to ceiling, and come in 12 ton modules, maybe at MCr1 per module. A lone module would probably only displace 8 tons, and be considered a 'spa'.
Tools Link
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
I'd put a high-quality medical facility at 8 tons, or about the size of two staterooms, and at probably double the cost -- so MCr8. The Doctor would require his own stateroom, to boot. A third stateroom-sized room adjacent to the medic facility could contain Emergency Low Berths... so another 4 tons and few more MCr.

A hydroponics park would probably be double height (6m tall), and might come in 8-ton modules at MCr1 per module. A single, 8 ton module would be more like a small conservatory, while a larger version, say 72 tons, would be more nearly parklike.

A swimming pool would probably be 9m from deep end to ceiling, and come in 12 ton modules, maybe at MCr1 per module. A lone module would probably only displace 8 tons, and be considered a 'spa'.
Tools Link
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
GURPS Traveller:Starships is a treasure trove for additional components that can be fitted into book 2 designs with relative ease.
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
GURPS Traveller:Starships is a treasure trove for additional components that can be fitted into book 2 designs with relative ease.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
robject,
What is the cost for an autodoc? (Don't have my book just now.) I think the "high-quality medical facility" would be some multiple of that.

What was your criteria for the cost of the pool? It would need some special systems to keep it from causing large problems if G went out. (See the original thread mentioned above.)

2-4601,
How many people does this yacht owner want around? Is this person king of their domain, with a couple dozen retainers? Or, is it more like yachts in spy movies, with only a few trusted batmen?

I ask because some of your space costs would imply a lot of folks, which increases (exponentially) the space required for the help associated with those spaces. Just a thought.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM

The Oz Citizen
It's also possible to retrofit some things from MT or FFS/TNE, if you have them and go to the trouble of doing it.