Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old May 15th, 2019, 01:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by faherman View Post
Frankly, I’m repulsed.
How else do you empire stars? I find the novel an addition to what's already in use by Traveller. I look forward to the other books.
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Co opt elites.

Leverage technological advantages.

Cultural imperialism.

Create a transport infrastructure that's primarily focussed for the rapid deployment of military forces, and secondarily economic exploitation.
Old May 15th, 2019, 01:49 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
How else do you empire stars? I find the novel an addition to what's already in use by Traveller. I look forward to the other books.
You mean "how else do you empire stars" besides glassing entire civilizations as a first option of conflict management? (I have not read the book.)

I'm sure someone could come up with something.
Old May 16th, 2019, 01:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
You mean "how else do you empire stars" besides glassing entire civilizations as a first option of conflict management? (I have not read the book.)

I'm sure someone could come up with something.
I would argue that Traveller's 3rd Imperium is not Star Trek's United Federation of Planets. In Star Trek, a planet-wide neutralizer (fabricated on the Enterprise during a commercial break) would be used to kill just the bad things on a planet's surface. A feudal technocracy has other things motivating it.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll; May 22nd, 2019 at 05:09 PM..
Old June 15th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
I would argue that Traveller's 3rd Imperium is not Star Trek's United Federation of Planets. In Star Trek, a planet-wide neutralizer (fabricated on the Enterprise during a commercial break) would be used to kill just the bad things on a planet's surface. A feudal technocracy has other things motivating it.
Star Trek is very much full of idealism that isn't always so consistent with human nature.

Traveller is more of a blank canvas with more gritty realism that is also complemented by an avalanche of classic sci-fi tropes.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/What_is_Traveller%3F

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Theme

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old June 15th, 2019, 06:31 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by faherman View Post
Our always-correct Agent Bland would have solved the Ebola crisis by nuking West Africa. These arenít automatic Cold Equations situations where physics prevents lower-case quarantining the worlds in question, though thatís obviously the novelís intent.
Ebola is a pretty low level threat on the scale the Agent is using. Nowhere near planet scrubbing thresholds. The book over-samples for the high end of the threat range because that's what the Decider is specifically for.

If you have just gotten to Deyis, you really need to keep reading. Deyis is the opening act, and like any good game of Traveller, it DOES have repercussions.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)