Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Olschoolgamer Citizen
Hey all,
I am currently working on a new campain and was wondering which rules set work best for designing ships? I have CT and MT and TNE but not FFS, but since this is a Traveller game I need ships. I am not a gear head so details down to bolt size is not important but I also want the designs to be realistic so as not to embaress my self in front of some of my smarter players. Also, is there a good design aid on the web I can download?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
My favourite remains CT, it's pretty quick and uncomplicated.

Of course, I have a few house rules that I often use...
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
LBB2 is definitely the best one if you just want to put in the important bits, and leave things like specific impulse of ionized plasma to someone else.

The other thing to consider is a few of the items here on CotI, and at places like the Traveller Downport could save you even that much trouble. There are published designs/deck plans galore. Heck, here's one you can try out, no charge!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Ptah Citizen
I prefer CT as well for design, the HG2 variety. For adventure class ships many of the extra design decisions, which can make things more complex in HG2 are absent, e.g., no bay weapons to consider.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
You'll get a lot of opinions on this, but the "best" system is whatever best meets your needs. I like the detail of FF&S, others prefer the simplicity of LBB2.

Software:

LBB2: ?
High Guard: http://www.downport.com/amv/software/hgs.html
MT: http://www.mega-traveller.com/downloads/downloads.html
FF&S1: ?
FF&S2: http://www.traveller3d.com/downloads/FFS2XL97.xls
T20: http://www.falkayn.com/traveller/downloads.html
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Scott Martin Citizen
I'd reccomend LBB2 or High Guard: HGS (High Guard Shipyard?) linked by Andrew above makes designs fairly painless, and if all you're looking for is ships, there are a fair pile of them out there for any system you would care to name try googling "Traveller Gearhead" or "Geearhead Webring" (or just hit downport.com: several of their sites will ramp you onto these webrings)

I do modeling professionally, so I appreciate some of the nuances of Fire Fusion and Steel (The design sequences for TNE and T4) but there's a lot of stuff in there that is just "clutter" so while it may be useful for background tech info (buy the TNE FF&S, not the T4 FF&S for this) it's probably not what you're looking for in an easy design sequence.

Scott Martin
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
I use Book 2/5. I tried to use FF&S, but it added layers of complexity to the design without really adding anything. You got the illusion of detail design but it was just as unreally abstracted.

Like the Heplar drive. It pretends to be a rocket/reaction drive, but it acts like a "magic" reactionless drive with a contrail.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
If you want to play using the TNE rules then I'd recommend joining the Traveller TNE Yahoo group here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Traveller_TNE/

Have a search in the posts for any (and all) by Peter Gray (I think). He's done a HUGE amount of great work on not just ships but vehicles and weapons too. All your nuts and bolts lovingly detailed and fully assembled [img]smile.gif[/img]

There is also another good resource for TNE goodies in the BARD pages here:

http://www.downport.com/bard/bard.html

Specifically the SARA and VERA links for ships and vehicles and gear.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Of course it acts that way, Uncle Bob! We don't mind the magic, we just want it to look cool - hence the "contrail"!
Oh, and I agree wholeheartedly with Andrew!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Olschoolgamer Citizen
Thanx you for your time and attention. I am looking for a game that follows what I consider the "Traveller Feel". Hard to describe but I know it when I feel it ....