Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old July 28th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
It's worth noting that 1e also had several games using the core rules, such as 2300 AD and Babylon 5 (and the too-short Cowboys and Xenomporphs). Unfortunately all are out of print now, but you can still find some around.
2300 is now on MGT2E; Colin just sent the manuscript final this month. Expect MGT2E:2300 to hit shelves by Christmas.

C&X, if it returns, is likely to be for CE, not MGT2, simply due to the onerous terms of the free license for MGT 2E. I've no direct knowledge of whether the author will do so, tho'.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
ffilz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
fundamentally, MGT 1E:

It's got a clear unified resolution mechanic. CT does not.
It's got a more interesting character generation, in that it provides more information with only a tiny bit more effort.
Uses armor as damage reduction instead of deflection.
Has ship armor.
You can easily use CT Bk2 ship designs and plans and be within 10%. Bridge tonnage for small ships halved, and for big ones, capped at 30 Td.

It's a more consistent to itself set of mechanics, albeit a bit less modular because of that.
Of course some of us prefer Classic Traveller because it does have a unified resolution mechanic, but it has variation in exactly what provides modifiers to the roll and how important they are.

I find the character generation plenty interesting, and find the change in philosophy of what skills represent not to our liking.

I like armor as to hit rather than damage reduction (hey, I like me my armor as damage reduction, but I also like the way armor and weapon combine in different ways to affect to hit - it's like the D&D weapon vs armor adjustments table but is more usable because animal armor is always represented in terms of one of the CT armor types).

I'm happy with Book 2 ships and combat, and don't feel a need to have armor on ships.

So really it is all a matter of preferences. Not everyone finds the newer game systems to their liking, or maybe we like the new systems while still being able to like and enjoy the old systems.

Frank
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
2300 is now on MGT2E; Colin just sent the manuscript final this month. Expect MGT2E:2300 to hit shelves by Christmas.
This is rather unfortunate for me. I have passed the point where I can afford to dump the 1e books and move to 2e.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

Well, I agreed to give MgT2 a try when it's my new pal's turn to run an adventure, and I let it be known that when it's my turn I'll be running CT. Who knows, maybe they'll all fall in love with CT, and it will be thanks to me! Thanks for the insights, gang, and wish me luck.
Old July 30th, 2018, 02:14 AM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I'm a confirmed fan of Classic Traveller, and I really dislike learning new systems. I may have a chance to join a live game, but it looks like the system they'll use will be Mongoose. Can anyone describe or point me to a comparison of my beloved CT with (I guess) the latest edition of the Mongoose version? How much is truly different? Thanks.
The main difference is the D&D-style "to hit" die roll, where you look at a weapon/armor matrix chart to figure the hit result from. There is no such thing in Mongoose Traveller. Task Check rolls are now standardized in Mongoose. In Mongoose Traveller, armor soaks damage.

Quote:
OK, I can't resist asking this. Really not trolling, just frustrated. What's the point of switching? What morefun does MgT provide, in and of itself, that CT is lacking? Maybe the potential GM and I can thrash it out and settle on one or the other.
CT is a 1st-gen RPG. MgT is a 2nd-gen RPG. That should be your main decision as to which system to use.

As far as how fun the rules are for each... that all depends on the players at the table. So find the best players you can.
Old July 30th, 2018, 02:34 AM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
CT is a 1st-gen RPG. MgT is a 2nd-gen RPG. That should be your main decision as to which system to use.
OK, now that statement I have to call out. What justifies a comment like that? If you somehow assigned a "generation" to a game, a game being a routine you go through to have fun, how could the isolated fact of when it was written add to or detract from fun? This isn't technology, it's taking turns and rolling dice. It's cowboys and indians. It's army men.

And just to pick nits, how would MgT2 be considered a "second" generation? It's way, way, way beyond the second iteration of Traveller role-playing games.

More to the point, I have the option of playing the game that was written by its creator, Marc Miller. Or, I can play a re-write by some guy who never actually created anything in his life. That's not a game designer, that's a copy editor. I don't need to pay money for that. And this particular 2nd edition of MgT is a re-write of a re-write!

And finally, role-playing games are a genre routinely house-ruled. I can house-rule games as well as anyone, and better than most, since I've been doing that since the 70's. These guys don't have anything to sell me.

No. I'll get this gaming group going, I'll be nice and play this guy's game using his preferred books. I won't buy a thing. And then we swap positions and I'll run the original game. Then I'll get to evaluate whether the arrangment is providing me enough fun to justify my time. But the "generation" of a game? That is absolutely meaningless. Whether it was written by an actual game designer or a copy editor should be the deciding factor.

Sheesh.
Old July 30th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

Check your Kool-Aid before drinking.
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old July 30th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

ffilz Citizen

Quote:
OK, now that statement I have to call out. What justifies a comment like that? If you somehow assigned a "generation" to a game, a game being a routine you go through to have fun, how could the isolated fact of when it was written add to or detract from fun? This isn't technology, it's taking turns and rolling dice. It's cowboys and indians. It's army men.

And just to pick nits, how would MgT2 be considered a "second" generation? It's way, way, way beyond the second iteration of Traveller role-playing games.

More to the point, I have the option of playing the game that was written by its creator, Marc Miller. Or, I can play a re-write by some guy who never actually created anything in his life. That's not a game designer, that's a copy editor. I don't need to pay money for that. And this particular 2nd edition of MgT is a re-write of a re-write!

And finally, role-playing games are a genre routinely house-ruled. I can house-rule games as well as anyone, and better than most, since I've been doing that since the 70's. These guys don't have anything to sell me.

No. I'll get this gaming group going, I'll be nice and play this guy's game using his preferred books. I won't buy a thing. And then we swap positions and I'll run the original game. Then I'll get to evaluate whether the arrangment is providing me enough fun to justify my time. But the "generation" of a game? That is absolutely meaningless. Whether it was written by an actual game designer or a copy editor should be the deciding factor.

Sheesh.
Don't let folks get to you. You like CT and that's way cool (I do too). Some folks here don't and that's cool too. What's not helpful is applying judgemental labels to any particular version of Traveller. Newer is different not better. Any kind of different may be better for some folks, tolerable for others, and horrible for others.

Frank
Old July 30th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:

Sheesh.

Er.

I think there is more thought that went into MgT then 'copy editor', they got the franchise IMO partly because of the quality of add-on material they had put out before for previous versions, so I don't agree with your assertion.

Now ignoring what 'generation' a game is and refuting that as some sort of primary criteria, that I can agree with. A 1st Gen game that is fun vs. a 4th Gen game that isn't is no contest- roll with the fun.
Old July 30th, 2018, 09:45 PM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:

You went off the rails somewhere. 1st-gen RPGs used index cards for character sheets. Anyway, if you've been doing this since the '70s, then you should already know the answer to your post.