Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old September 19th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Morte Citizen
Are there any TL16 world descriptions "out there" which go into reasonable depth and say what they're like, how they differ from lower-tech worlds and so on? Something concrete that says what they're actually like.

Material that is actually available would be preferred...
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM

daryen Citizen
Well the the planet Darrian is covered several places ... (Most recently in GT:Humaniti.)

(Of course it isn't "true" TL16, but instead TL14 or so with generous amounts of TL16 artifacts. But still, ...)
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Wink

How Darrian was ever listed as TL16 is still a mystery to me In the CT Darrians Alien Module it gives the TL as between TL13 and 15, depending on what you are building. Even by 1200 and the Regency sourcebook, Darrian is still barely TL16, it's the Regency that does the full scale production runs, Darrian is more like a research station

Vincennes in the Deneb sector is a true TL16, pushing TL17, world. Unfortunately you can only find its details in DGP's MT Journal no. 3
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Elliot Citizen
Which, incidently, has a GDW copyright [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
How Darrien was ever listed as TL16 is still a mystery to me.
Simple. Original description of the Imperium says that TL 15 is the highest available. But world generation system allows the occasional rare TL 16 result. Authors of The Spinward Marches use the WGS to generate an entire sector full of randomly generated UWPs without bothering to vet them. When it comes time to explain the odd UWP, changing a digit here and there is either never contemplated or on principle not an option. So instead more or less lame explanations has to be concocted.

(Note: I'm not saying that many of the explanations concocted were not good, even brilliant on occasion and that it isn't a good thing to try real hard to come up with explanations to odd UWPs. I'm just saying that a few weren't and that sometimes it is better to give up and change something that to concoct a real belief suspender snapper).

Hans
Old September 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Darrian isn't in the Imperium, so the TL15 cap shouldn't apply anyway

But I accept your point, it was possibly a mistake that was rectified by downplaying Darrian's TL.
Old September 20th, 2004, 01:06 PM

shield Citizen
I think there are a couple of TL16 worlds detailed in Knightfall, but the descriptions are very detailed.

Cheers
Richard
Old September 20th, 2004, 01:23 PM

daryen Citizen
Also, keep in mind that outside GT, TL16 isn't *that* big of a deal. The Regency Sourcebook goes to detail to point out that TL16 is an evolutionary step over TL15, not a revolutionary one. Consequently, whatever you have regarding a TL15 society probably works just dandy with a TL16 one.

(This doesn't apply to GT, where their screwy assignment of TTL -> GTL conversions cause TL16 to be a huge leap.)

Regarding Darrian, when it was first introduced in JTAS, it was given a "real" TL of about 12, though that was quickly reconned up to 14. GT accepts the TL 14 designation.

In 1202, however, it needs to be pointed out that Darrian really is TL16. The fact that the Regency makes all of the TL16 warships is an industrial capacity and political issue, not a technological issue. The TNE Darrians (and the Regency itself at Vincennes and Mora) are fully TL16 capable.

The point about Vincennes is correct, though. It is a TL16 world in 1117, and borderline TL17 in 1202. If it really is detailed to any degree in MTJ #3, that would be a good resource.
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Noble

A question was asked about Massilia Sector, the setting for Knightfall, in a digest magazine. It was pointed out that Massilia has a large number of TL16 worlds. The reply was that this was intentional and that the central sectors of the MT Imperium had a bonus of +1 to their TL when generated.
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
A question was asked about Massilia Sector, the setting for Knightfall, in a digest magazine. It was pointed out that Massilia has a large number of TL16 worlds. The reply was that this was intentional and that the central sectors of the MT Imperium had a bonus of +1 to their TL when generated.
True . It's something I prefer to ignore as being contra-canonical. If a large number of high-population Imperial worlds really were fully TL 16, then TL 15 wouldn't be "highest Imperial". So they're not. QED. My preferred handwave is that all so-called TL 16 worlds are actually borderline TL 16 in one area or another. The source, possibly, of a small number of TL 16 prototype mcguffins, but not the source of a large number of TL 16 goods (Let alone starships).

Hans