Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 17th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen
How do you handle disabilities in your campaigns, or what happens if you decide your PC is partly deaf?
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
We played in a room with plenty of space and we made the the deaf in one, blind in the other eye cleric sit on the couch away from the table (about 6 feet). [img]smile.gif[/img] (Note: the person playing the cleric was not deaf or blind [img]smile.gif[/img]

Another way we handled it, was to write down anything that a major NPC would be saying (like script from a module or GM) and leave out words of the script and let them read it in another room while the GM read the entire script to the other players.

It got really interesting when only the deaf character was present to hear things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lastly, we made the player wear earplugs and an eye patch.

Now for more game related nonphysical things we would double the penalty for hearing something, and the GM would keep a large note infront of them reminding them of the cleric deaf in one ear, blind in the other eye.
Also all players were required to repeat anything they said to the cleric min of twice or the cleric would have to roll d6x10% to determine how much they heard [img]smile.gif[/img] In combat or other loud situations the cleric always had to roll d4x10% to see how much they heard. It was up the GM to determine what parts they heard in the beginning.

After about 4 game sessions, all the players started getting into it and having fun.

Last note: it depends on how much your players are willing to put up with.

In another game we had a thief who lost from the elbow down his off hand. His character went out and committed sucide because the player did not want to play the character anymore.

In another game we had a mage who lost complete eyesight due to a spell gone bad. The player requested that the party take him back to the academy and afterwards the player retired the character to the GM's control and started up a new one.

So, make sure that the players (especially the one with the disability) is going to be able to handle it and role play.

I don't know why (snicker) but it seems players get attached to their characters [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave Chase
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

MR TEK Citizen
Interesting....

I just started a varger. He was injured repairing his his ship after an accident. Minor injory, but he refused to have if compleatly healed as a remineder to keep his head down.

In modern terms not much, in Traveller terms, a major disability when whole limbs can be regrown to have a permenant limp. Ought to be real interesting.

Mr Tek
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
I think imperfect characters make more interesting ones. In many circumstances, it can also be handing plot hooks to a referee.

Looking for the man who shot my paw...

Seeking out that Droyne-run lab that's working on implants to replace a damaged spinal cord...

Seeking out a monastery/psi institute to train oneself in surviving without one's sight, a la "Blind Fury".

Wearing a scar or a mutilation as a badge of honor, as wounds received while withstanding brutal interrogation...
Tools Link
Old September 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Liam Devlin Citizen
Messrs Roboject, Mr tek agreed!
Disabilities in a PC make it more realistic, even in the TU. Yes, modern medecines that the Ship's brilliant doctor can bring to bear are great...But not everyone can withstand regen treatment, even as today with organ donation rejection.
Like Jump sickness, an inherited gene. yes, we could say that having such a gene could have been removed..ala some geneering like the Solomani practiced to an extent..but-disability might not always be visible as well!
Case in point,[from one of my campaigns] a young woman [npc of crew on a ship] loses her whole family in an accident, but the laws of her homeworld dictate only males inherit.
Suddenly faced with evil uncle about to take her father's hard earned company and assets, she undertakes drastic action and has a complete sex change operation. The planet being TL-D, this is done within the time limit of settling an estate going to probate court.
There is her handicap/ disability: She's been a woman for 22 years, and must now be a "man"! Okay, an extreme example, I'm sure.
Another case--infertility.
Well, regeneration and exvitro birthing techniques are also part and parcel with Traveller science. DNA identification much harder to forge at TL8+ societies. Proving someone is your heir, and having an heir can be difficult.

Likewise, in the MT advnture Arrival Vengeance shows Imperial ar veterans on Zukhimie protesting their treatment as machines/ property if more than 20% of their replacement limbs are cybernetic orgin!

The odd piratical eyepatch, and cybernetic limb have been sprinkled throughout various campaigns I've been in the past four or five years--they make those characters memorable, and a challenge to play for their players. Good question, Jame!

"To ye who pass us by, Go tell the Spartans, By Spartan Law, here we lie"</i>
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Jame Citizen
Ooo hoo, Liam, now THAT's a story! Good answers, all!
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Jame Citizen
And the disabilities don't have to be physical. What about playing someone who's "slightly touched in the head?"

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Old October 8th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

brudin Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Jame:
And the disabilities don't have to be physical. What about playing someone who's "slightly touched in the head?"
Quote:
Originally posted by Liam Devlin:

Case in point,[from one of my campaigns] a young woman [npc of crew on a ship] loses her whole family in an accident, but the laws of her homeworld dictate only males inherit.
Suddenly faced with evil uncle about to take her father's hard earned company and assets, she undertakes drastic action and has a complete sex change operation. The planet being TL-D, this is done within the time limit of settling an estate going to probate court.
There is her handicap/ disability: She's been a woman for 22 years, and must now be a "man"! Okay, an extreme example, I'm sure.
Another case--infertility.
Well, regeneration and exvitro birthing techniques are also part and parcel with Traveller science. DNA identification much harder to forge at TL8+ societies. Proving someone is your heir, and having an heir can be difficult.
jame the response is here and if you want i can give you some http tg adress where the case is seriously messed in the head, it's sure in any case than the player must be ok with that.

i have played a wheeled character in a daredevil campaign, after i have got a grenade fragment in the spinal colonne and the master demand me before healing if i am ready to play a character like that.
btw, it was really fun to play that.
Old October 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Jame Citizen
Brudin, if you think about it, that is kind of a physical disadvantage - or at least a social disadvantage from a physical characteristic.

What I meant was someone who's a bit insane.

Old October 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

brudin Citizen
mostly the "insane" have a physical problem in the head, who create this insanity. all are not like that but a majority, and i see some player stop RPG definitively because they play an "insane" character.

trust me in that, dont play "insane" character you got risk in that.