Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Jamus Citizen
Default Free trader vrs far trader

Any logical reason for these two to have different hull designs? I mean to say, why wouldn't someone who wanted/needed J-2 just move some interior walls and upgrade their free trader?

regards
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

practical reason no...but people like that sort of thing. Aesthetics and all that.

Allen
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Based on a tidbit in GT Interstellar Wars, the difference is that the Beo hull is a Vilani design, while the Marava hull is a Terran design. The Beo hull-form is older than the Third Imperium.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Any logical reason for these two to have different hull designs? I mean to say, why wouldn't someone who wanted/needed J-2 just move some interior walls and upgrade their free trader?
I'd say that there must be many, many more ship designs than the small handful that has been detailed in canon. There may well be a jump-2 version of the Beowulf Class and a jump-1 version of the Empress Marava. Just as the Placid Ox, Golden Gryphon, and Soaring Eagle are jump-1, -2, and -3 versions of the same hull (http://jtas.sjgames.com/login/article.cgi?792 (requires a JTAS Online subscription to see)).

Hans
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

I think it's human nature to tinker with things, modify things, etc. Well... at least Solomani human nature, if not Vilani human nature. As rancke says, there are many, many more ships designs.

That's one of the reasons I like the new T&G... any ship in there that bears only vague resemblance to the original will get handwaved as a variation on a theme.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM

rust Citizen

Just think of Honda, Mercedes, Toyota, Fiat ...

If the craft you produce and want to sell looks the same and internally is
the same and costs the same as all the craft produced by all the others,
why should a customer decide to buy your product ?
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Jamus Citizen

Thanks much for the responses all.

That said I am thinking that I will just use a upgraded J-2 Beo for the next campaign I run. thinking of making it a old ship 50-100 years and giving it a bunch of the previous owner quirks.

not sure how i would/will handle psychic echos though...

I intend to find a way to make the ship a recurring NPC.
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Other Type A hulls that come to mind are FASA's Alexandria-class and the unnamed but similar hull in "Starships & Spacecraft" by Judges Guild. There is also the Type A done for T20, the original Mayday version of the Beo, and the "flying shoe" from T4. Note that several of these are the right size deckplan, unlike the original CT Marava and MT Beo.

There are also adaptions of other class hulls, such as an Animal-class (Safari Ship) hull converted to a Type A spec.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Jamus Citizen

Still not sure how to handle psychic echoes. Im not wanting anything crazy like event horizon but wouldnt mind a little bit of personality. So far I have decided that the ship was used for 30 years by a private contractor for blockade running/transport/medical evac for the imperial navy during the imperiums various wars.

After that the ship was used for a few decades as a standard free trader before being sold and left to rust at a C class port on the frontier. Ship has a reputation for being cursed. More than three crews have died in this ship.

Havent decided what the ship was used for or for how long prior to its military actions.

The J-drive is upgraded to 2 but is quirky/sensitive and can flood the ship with deadly radiation if not well taken care of. The ship has an addition turrent in place and both turrent are designed to be pop-up. Ship has improved sensors but has had its hull taped back togather so much it is not as sound as it should be.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very appreciated.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

silburnl Citizen
Default Psychic echoes

You could take a leaf out of Walter J. Williams' excellent Angel Station and have the ship 'haunted' by randomly appearing snippets of a previous owner's holo-diary.

Sure the PCs might want to do a complete purge and rebuild to get rid of the 'ghost' but (i) the recertifications for spaceworthiness are a stone bitch (ii) you'll lose a number of 'non-standard' mods that have been made to the ship if you do this and (iii) there's always the chance that you'll pick up a fragment of useful information from one of the 'manifestations'.

Regards
Luke