Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old January 19th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
tlindsey Citizen
Here are some ideas of what I'd like to see in a Traveller 5th Edition Little Black Book series.

Instead of going with the traditional saddle binding of the old LBBs, use standard 5.5" x 8.5" pages that are punched for a three ring binder. A nice three ring binder with a silk screened cover that included the core rules could be sold as "Volume 1 - Core Rules". Additional binders with the Traveller 5 logo could be purchased as well so that players could assemble their own volumes. I guess we'd have to call these "Little Black Binders".

Individual books could be purchased separately and inserted in a T5 binder. Players could assemble customized binders that contained the books they were most interested in. The binder would make the integration of errata and advanced rules very simple.

In addition, inexpensive 5.5" x 8.5" filler paper could be used for notes and house rules and inserted directly into the binder. People could even print their own pages on 8.5" x 11" paper, fold it in half, and insert it into the binder.

As for the design and layout of the books, there is something very special about the LBBs. Their design was a bit stark for many peoples tastes but it was clean and elegant and has stood the test of time. Not many RPG brands have the kind of instant recognition that the black field with red bar and Traveller logo still has. There have been some incredible artists doing work for Traveller over the years and I'd like to see the best of it come back and be integrated into the layout where it is appropriate and relevant to the textual content.

Thoughts?

- Ted
Old January 19th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Absent Friend

Location: Arkansas is my residence, but New Mexico is my Home
plop101 Citizen
Yes! I already use black binders to keep all the stuff I print, generate and/or use. This works very well.
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Secrect Cow Level Citizen
I like it! Columbia Games does this for Harnmaster (although they use standard size pages) and it works out great. A binder lies flat on the table and is easy to read.
Old January 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 15
BeRKA Citizen
Thumbs up

Neat, I like it! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old January 19th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Lord Iron Wolf Citizen
Sweet, I like the layout and the graphic presentation you did. It looks like a good idea but playing devil's advocate, I can see a couple of problems:

*How to keep the 3-ring binders from getting crushed during shipment?
*Cracking or splitting of vinyl during years of use.
*Kinkos or other copy shops being used to duplicate pages for cheapskates/thieves/buddies.
*Holes being torn out from constant use. Reinforcement rings will double thickness of paper stack.
*Scanning as PDF to website for piracy/free download

I know there are ways past this including:
*Heavier paper--70# or heavier...
*Sell printed color inserts for cover, back and spine eliminating the need for 3-ring binder. replace 3-ring binders as needed.
*A background graphic (Imperial Sunburst) that blackens upon copying but is translucent upon first printing.

I've seen this type of system used for Star Fleet Battles and Pirates of Dark Water and thought it to be flexible and useful. It makes it easy to insert errata and updates. It's something to consider.

Lord Iron Wolf

A batch of printed, color-coded tabs to keep the sections seperated would be nice too
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:54 PM

tlindsey Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Iron Wolf:

*How to keep the 3-ring binders from getting crushed during shipment?
*Cracking or splitting of vinyl during years of use.
*Kinkos or other copy shops being used to duplicate pages for cheapskates/thieves/buddies.
*Holes being torn out from constant use. Reinforcement rings will double thickness of paper stack.
*Scanning as PDF to website for piracy/free download
Lord Iron Wolf raises from excellent points. This is the kind of questioning of a concept that leads to better ideas.

Here are some thoughts about some the concerns.

All of the issues regarding physical sturdiness of the format and duplication are addressed by FFE selling high quality inserts that are resistant to wear. Someone can go out and photocopy ANY printed material today but the costs of having it printed in color, double-sided on good quality stock, cutting it to size and punching it are probably not worth the expenditure for most folks.

On a side note, I don't believe that selling PDF documents will ever be a profitable venture for anyone because there is no way to bring additional value, such as materials quality, to the product while duplication and distribution costs for people who want to pirate the material is nil. If someone wants to pirate the product, they can do so in 2 seconds. Pirating a physical product by photocopying takes some time, effort and money.

The ideas about section tabs are very good. I was going to add section tabs to the concept image but it was getting late and I wanted to post it. The idea of a watermark on every page that prevents copying is brilliant!

There are quite a few accessories that FFE could sell for this format. Just look at what Franklin Covey sells for their line of organizers to get an idea of what could be inserted in the binders. In fact, you could actually use a Franklin Covey binder for holding T5 materials if you have their seven hole punch.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ted
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Veilheim Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by BeRKA:
Neat, I like it! [img]smile.gif[/img]
BERKA! Of COURSE you would like it! You do these on your site!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Brennan
Old January 20th, 2003, 02:38 PM

PVernon Citizen
Ted, I like it! Looks good has the same clean look of the original yet is also "up to date" in it's apperance. Good Job!

Peter Vernon
Old January 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

thomryng Citizen
Beautiful.

Pushing on to the future of Traveller, while keeping its feet firmly planted in the game's history.

I'm pretty sure I'd sell my cat to get a copy of this, if it were available now.

Stars fer ya!

cheers,

thom
Member #000006 of the Bring back the LBBs T5 edition.<br />--------------------<br />\"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.\" (William Pitt, 1783)
Old January 20th, 2003, 03:55 PM

WarriorKnight Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to WarriorKnight
Very nice.Great job Ted.