Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old May 6th, 2019, 04:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I very much doubt he can explain how it gets enough food, water and oxygen, how it moves its own mass without breaking its own body apart etc. without a totally implausible handwave.
A quick google of the physical limit to land animal size throws up some pretty inescapable physics - energy requirements, heat management, etc.

Hmm, low grav/high atmo worlds might produce larger animals then our mix of grav and energy/heat exchange/structural issues.

Maybe in tandem with gigantic airsacs, so it's part blimp? Methane-based atmo, separates out the hydrogen for the sacs then 'burns' it on exhale for internal fuel?
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Baron

Gallery : 82
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

And high oxygen: one reason posited for megafauna of the past was a much higher percentage of oxygen.

See: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...evolved-thank/

See: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...imals-science/

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Traveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old May 6th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Cat View Post
Matt and I were discussing some material I wrote for JTAS defining the "collopha": a 100,000 ton land animal, which is specifically supposed to be able to haul crashed spaceships to a downport, and its game stats.
Sounds nifty.

I have no idea how to make it work within existing game mechanics. I can think on it.

Sounds like it might be better to design it as a vehicle.
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
A man can pull a railroad train car on level tracks
Stopping it, however, is a different problem.
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Stopping it, however, is a different problem.
not really; given enough distance, he can. Whether or not that's practical is a whole different kettle of fish.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:09 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
I very much doubt he can explain how it gets enough food, water and oxygen, how it moves its own mass without breaking its own body apart etc. without a totally implausible handwave.
A quick google of the physical limit to land animal size throws up some pretty inescapable physics - energy requirements, heat management, etc.
Skip the handwave, I want a herd of those things. Organically-grown bonded superdense exoskeleton or bones, no idea what the muscles are made of but there's GOT to be a market for that... vascular system running at some astonishing pressures...

What TL can you grow them at?

Oh, and don't worry about heat management. This is Traveller, after all. We don't DO heat management.
Old May 7th, 2019, 07:12 AM

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
Skip the handwave, I want a herd of those things. Organically-grown bonded superdense exoskeleton or bones, no idea what the muscles are made of but there's GOT to be a market for that... vascular system running at some astonishing pressures...

What TL can you grow them at?

Oh, and don't worry about heat management. This is Traveller, after all. We don't DO heat management.
Space Opera, not hard SF. Yep.
Old June 29th, 2019, 02:46 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Well the pdf with this beast in it is out.

My verdict - it is as ridiculous as I thought it would be. Actually it is probably worse since it tries to say these things are common in the Imperium and were bioengineered by the Second Imperium and are hunted by Aslan war bands... Mongoose rule of kewel strikes again.

No explanation of how a 100,000t animal gets enough food, a totally implausible 'it has internal hydrogen filled sacks to help support its weight'; it is a cartoon animal, not a serious addition to the Imperial setting. But apparently they are now canonically all over the Third Imperium

These things are totally biologically, energetically and physically impossible. Perfect for a Loony Tunes cartoon universe, they have no place in a science based setting.

Last edited by mike wightman; June 29th, 2019 at 08:31 AM..
Old June 29th, 2019, 05:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 21
Winged Cat Citizen

That phrasing and spelling ("kewel") suggests that you are the same person making the same complaint as on the Mongoose forums, so I will say here what I said there.

1) They cut part of the material I submitted, such as the portions intended to explain how it exists (how it feeds, for instance). I am asking Mongoose about that - if they intend to add it back in, if I can put it into a wiki article about the creature, or what. My hunch is that they will allow me to at least put the material on the wiki.

2) Like it or not, Mongoose is a licenseholder. Anything they say is OTU canon, is OTU canon unless overruled by Marc Miller. You are not Marc Miller.

2a) But, as with most elements of the setting, you don't have to use them in YTU if you don't want to. (For instance, the arc-field weapon has only appeared in Mongoose books so far. Don't want those to exist in YTU? Then they don't. Same principle here.)
Old June 29th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

No, I am not Marc Miller and can not decide on what he consider canonical for the OTU.

But I can point to material that has no place in a science based setting, and definitely not the OTU.

Just because something is in JTAS it is not necessarily canonical for the OTU - there was stuff in the original JTAS that is not canonical for the OTU (interstellar teleportation talent for example).
Mongoose 'canon' is only canon for their ATU version of the Third Imperium.

Your megabeast is totally scientifically impossible. Can it be explained by ingame superscience handwave technobabble? I very much doubt it but I can be convinced if it is a plausible insetting explanation. If I can accept the Cymbeline silicon based life forms and Virus I can accept this

Is it a herbivore, carnivore, or omnivore? Have you calculated how much energy is needed to move a 100000t animal at a speed of 2m/s?. It's muscles have to be provided with 200MW of power, and that assumes 100% efficiency, which they can not be. That's only a fraction of its energy needs since it has to maintain its metabolism as well as move itself.

Last edited by mike wightman; June 29th, 2019 at 08:40 AM..
Closed Thread