Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old November 29th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
jscott991 Citizen
Default What is Imperial Intelligence?

Hi,

I've been buying Traveller books for several years now (mostly GURPS, which I think are better written, but also some Mongoose as well) and I have been slowly constructing my own Traveller universe and storyline. This is mostly for my own amusement. I just like a few aspects of the setting.

I do have a question.

Many books refer frequently to Imperial Intelligence. When that term is thrown around, what is it referring to? Is it part of the IISS? Or the Ministry of State?

The only thing I'm sure of is that it is separate from Naval Intelligence.

Thank you again.
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

I would take that particular term in the same way we use our modern national terms. "Imperial Intelligence" is like "American Intelligence", instead of mapping to a specific agency.

Imperial intel agencies include parts of the IISS, parts of the Navy, parts of the Ministry of Justice (don't mess with the Special Branch), and other smaller or less obvious groups.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
Many books refer frequently to Imperial Intelligence. When that term is thrown around, what is it referring to? Is it part of the IISS? Or the Ministry of State?

The only thing I'm sure of is that it is separate from Naval Intelligence.

Thank you again.
A lot depends which timeframe.

From Milieu Zero, we have the following agencies having some intelligence assets:
  • Imperial Naval Intelligence
  • Imperial Interstellar Scout Service — officially, the Intelligence Branch thereof; unofficially, also Recon Branch and Contact Branch [later Survey and Census], often by debriefs done by IISSIB.
  • Ministry of Justice: Some internal and counter-intelligence assets.
  • Each Vilani Bureaux. (Their pre-unification with the 3I intelligence arms are coordinating with other agencies)
  • Imperial University †
  • The Loyal Association of Pages ‡
  • Bureau of Interstellar Affairs (BIA) - aka "Imperial Propaganda Agency"
  • Office of Calendar Compliance - In M0, it's the only agency with Imperial Law Enforcement Authority on all member worlds; they often do unofficial work in Internal Intelligence, and in counter-intelligence. They also sometimes cover other agencies' agents. Whole freaking huge 3/8 page sidebar on M0 p51.

‡ This one is kinda bizarre, IMO, so I quote the whole entry, so you can read it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milieu Zero, p. 51
The Loyal Association of Pages: This unusual but
highly effective source of intelligence is drawn entirely from the boy and girl pages that run minor errands for Moot nobles, senior Imperial bureaucrats and military officers. Ranging from fourteen to seventeen years old, pages are drawn from high-status (SOC 10) commoner families. Most nobles consider pages to be invisible, and frequently reveal information in their presence that is of interest to the Emperor. A number of pages from particularly loyal families report directly through the intelligence apparatus of Djugashvili Lentuli of the BIA. The other pages have no suspicion of their colleagues’ activities.
In the M1116 (rebellion) to M1120 (hard times) eras, the "Imperial Research Intelligence Service" arises. Strephon did not know who they were, canonically.

Survival Margin notes the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Survival Margin, p. 71
However, Admiral Herzoch Stearns, Chief of Combined Imperial Intelligence from 1 097 to 11 08, ordered the exploitation of a newly discovered "wild strain" of Cymbeline chip.
It later notes that INI dominated "The Imperial intelligence apparatus..."

Dulinor's faction also adds the Imperial History Department as an analysis arm during the rebellion.

Note that in M1100, DA3: The Argon Gambit has an "Imperial Intelligence" office which has a duty desk that the public can get to. It speaks of Imperial Intelligence as if an agency all its own.

GT (M1116A) has "Imperial intelligence services" throughout.

M1000 (T20) has a reference to "Imperial Intelligence"

We get IMOJ:Special Branch as a dedicated part of Ministry of Justice in the M650 era onward. Officially, it's a "security force" for the Imperial courts. Unofficially, it's way more diverse in missions.
Bureau of Interstellar Affairs is the "official" government intelligence arm all the way through, but it's only part of BIA.
OCC, IISS:IB, IN:INI, and IMOJ:SB all have additional roles.

So, yes, there's probably a Bureau of Imperial Intelligence. It's probably got offices in every subsector. And it's probably answerable to the Director of Combined Intelligence, who, in M1100, is an Admiral, from INI.

That was a fun romp through my Traveller folder.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 30th, 2018, 01:56 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

And the one Aramis omitted:

Imperial Army Intelligence, mentioned in CT Adventure 13 Signal GK.
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
And the one Aramis omitted:

Imperial Army Intelligence, mentioned in CT Adventure 13 Signal GK.
Yeah, missed that. More correctly, didn't think to search that term.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 30th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

jscott991 Citizen

Army Intelligence is also specifically mentioned in the GURPS Ground Forces book.

This is a lot of great information. It doesn't seem though that there is a consensus from the material whether an agency called "Imperial Intelligence" exists or it is just a term for a lot of different agencies.

I should have been very specific on the era. I'm mostly working with the GURPS / 1115 universe (although with a year of 1117 instead of 1120 or 1115).
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

There is one 'intelligence' agency that never gets a mention but must surely exist.

Subsector dukes - and the first among equals sector duke - must maintain some sort of intelligence gathering operation within their subsectors in order to keep tabs on the worlds under their authority, and possibly keep tabs on what their neighbouring dukes are doing. You don't get to be sector duke without being the strongest and being able to find the skeletons in your rival's closets.

It may be that Imperial Intelligence agencies report to the dukes, but I have my doubts about that.

There are also the covert agencies operated by the megacorporations...
Old November 30th, 2018, 09:41 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It may be that Imperial Intelligence agencies report to the dukes, but I have my doubts about that.
Don't. The reality will vary with the Duke, of course, but in most cases they are the Emperor's Hand in a region. A subsector or sector where the various Imperial Intel assets aren't reporting to the Dukes is arguably dysfunctional as an Imperial territory. Canonically Deneb has had this problem, to the point where the Navy's Noble Liaisons in Deneb are an incredibly important position.

Norris had Naval Intel contacts from his days in that field, just as one example, while the Delphine probably has the Imperial Sector Bureaucacy, which runs from Mora, shot through with "agents".

In addition, most High Nobles own or operate businesses on multiple worlds, so they are in good positions to have economic data and dirt from those worlds just as a matter of course.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old November 30th, 2018, 10:10 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Rule Number One: Do not assume that the various intelligence organizations talk to each other. They probably do not.

Rule Number Two: Do not assume that the accurate information is making it to the top. It probably isn't.

Rule Number Three: The boss' view is always right and accurate, even when it is not.

Rule Number Four: If you disagree with Rule Number Three, you will find yourself auditing the expenditures for the sanitary supply accounts.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old December 1st, 2018, 01:22 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Empire building exists in every bureaucracy, and institutions tend to compete against each other.

Considering the size of the Imperium, and communications lag, coordination would at a minimum happen at the sector level, and for internal issues, at the subsector level.