Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old December 16th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
Disco Soup Citizen

I think the problem people have is conflicting information. The play examples tend to not line up with the RAW.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Soup View Post
Each book is made to be filled out for a single character. Each event and mishap has a "serial number" that you read back to the ref as you generate. This serial number links to a secret about what "really happened" during that event, and ways the ref can use it in the story to reward or complicate the character's life.
Nice touch.
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Very cool! I'd like to see that.

I don't understand why MgT character creation is so hard for some people, tho. There's a really nice checklist on page 5 in the Core Rulebook.
Oh, I totally understand the checklist. It's when you get into the little details that I get confused.

The skill groups / specializations combining with 0-level skills and instances that grant you a new skill get confusing. Do I get a second 0 in a specialty, or do I get to advance a 0 to a 1 in one of my existing 0-level specialties? If I remember correctly, I found one place where the example character contradicted the rules in this regard.
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Disco Soup Citizen

Technically, you may describe the process of creating characters, including characteristics, but you have to do it under another OGL. Hyperlite details the process of creating characters and characteristics, as does Outer Veil, IIRC. Doing this would preclude you from using the Traveller compatibility logo, though.
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Quote:
I think the problem people have is conflicting information. The play examples tend to not line up with the RAW.
Game examples rarely get updated when rules do, unfortunately. The flowchart for CharGen has issues in my printing of the core rules.

I need my players to all have the core book if they are going to be making characters. If I hand out pre-gen sheets to players, they don't need the book and I can tell them the die rules and they catch on in about 15 minutes of doing sample rolls.
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:10 PM

Disco Soup Citizen

Yeah, I've decided that the ones I'm doing are going to be a standalone product.

I'm calling it BDH: Big Dang Heroes, and it's going to have new versions of standard careers, with more logical events and mishaps. Some skill results are going to be variables, based on what era of game you're playing. For instance, "Ranged X" would mean that if you're playing a medieval game you get archery, if it's a contemporary game you get slug rifles and in the future you get your choice of slug or energy.

Each career gets one or more "Heroics", which act to differentiate careers by more than just skills. A Military: Army character might get Signature Weapon that comes with extra options, whereas an Explorer could get a facility with native customs. You get a Heroic at term 2 and then an advanced one if you make it to term 5.
Old December 21st, 2014, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
I'm calling it BDH: Big Dang Heroes, and it's going to have new versions of standard careers,
You might want to pick a different name... Big Damn Heroes Handbook was a Serenity RPG product, and product confusion often results in nastygrams and/or low ratings, and that's close enough to cause product confusion.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 21st, 2014, 01:23 AM

Disco Soup Citizen

Good idea. I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek with the title.

The system is for creating folks with a power level a bit higher than your average joe, with mechanics for giving each character the spotlight.

In a sci-fi game, it'd play like Farscape or Doctor Who. In a modern game, maybe 24. In a medieval setting, it'd be like a chanbara movie.

All sorts of things, all optional. A "power stat" rule where you get to roll 3d6 and keep 2 for the stat of your choice. Automatic qualification for your FIRST career if you have sufficient stats or education, kind of like with Nobles.