Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 0
Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+
Default Player Books

Two ideas here. I suspect other people have already done this, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

Player Jumpstart Books

Has anyone created player books for jumpstarting play?

I'd like to put together something that encapsulates all the rules a player needs to generate a character for one career as a small PDF. Each booklet would lay out the steps for character creation through that career in an intuitive way. Players could print out one or two of each book and then pass them around as they create characters.

The value-add on top of the core rules:

1. Separating the careers into different booklets lets everyone at the table create a character at the same time, without owning a copy of the core book.

2. The chargen rules in the core rulebook are explained in a very generic way. This would explain the rules in a very career-centric way. Roll on THIS chart for your skill training. Roll THIS survival roll, and go to page XX if you fail. Choose promotion or commission and make one of THESE rolls. Roll on THIS event chart.

Simplified Careers

Yeah, yeah, the chargen rules aren't that hard to understand. But they are. I've been gaming since '79 and I've done some professional game editing and even I had trouble understanding the MgT chargen rules, which made me jump all over the place to understand what to do next.

I think that the MgT chargen rules could be greatly simplified without making play any less fun. Here's what I'd do with it.
  1. Choose a background from a list. Get a few skills at 0.
  2. Choose a career (e.g., Navy). You're level 0 in that career.
  3. That career offers you 6 standard characteristic arrays. Pick one or roll.
  4. Gain background skills for that career.
  5. Level up. Repeat until you reach the appropriate level. The referee will tell you what level character to make: probably 3 or 4.

The level-up process:
  1. Add 1 to your level.
  2. Choose a career path (e.g., Crew / Engineer / Gunner / Flight / Officer) for which you qualify (based on characteristics and skills).
  3. If it's your first time in that career path, gain one path background skill at 1. You choose from a list.
  4. Roll d6 on the skill training table for your path and add the number of times you've taken that path prior to this time (+0 the first time). Certain advanced skills for that path start at 7 on the chart. That adds +1 to a skill.
  5. Roll on a 2d6 events table for that path. Each event adds color to your life and offers you a choice and a skill. Some might offer characteristic bonuses.
  6. Roll on a 2d6 benefits table, too. Don't wait till the end to do this.

Hey, you can also use this level-up process for continued play. At certain story milestones, the referee can let everyone level up, but it might not make sense if you're Navy and you are no longer in service.

So we add rules for multi-classing. You can switch careers but it costs you. Basically, you spend your level-up to gain level 0 in a new career, but you get only one of the background skills for the new career, not all of them.

Now your ex-Navy 4 (Crew 2, Officer 2) can multi-class into Freetrader 0 class (total levels = 5). At level 6, he is Navy 4, Freetrader 1 (Captain 1).
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog

I just checked the Traveller SRD and I see that the career write-ups are not Open Content. That certainly makes this more difficult to do commercially. Oops.

Time to start writing my Freetrader RPG.
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I have put together booklets of my house rules and rule modifications, but never a "jumpstart" booklet for new gamers. That would prove to be quite useful, and I will need to give it some thought.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog

Lately I've been running games at cons, and I'd like to do chargen at the table but not take up the whole session doing it. A jumpstarter booklet for each player would help a lot.

It shouldn't be hard to compile for personal use. It just can't be a commercial thing without Mongoose's permission, as the career charts are not Open Content.
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post
Two ideas here. I suspect other people have already done this, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

Player Jumpstart Books

Has anyone created player books for jumpstarting play?

I'd like to put together something that encapsulates all the rules a player needs to generate a character for one career as a small PDF. Each booklet would lay out the steps for character creation through that career in an intuitive way. Players could print out one or two of each book and then pass them around as they create characters.

The value-add on top of the core rules:

1. Separating the careers into different booklets lets everyone at the table create a character at the same time, without owning a copy of the core book.

2. The chargen rules in the core rulebook are explained in a very generic way. This would explain the rules in a very career-centric way. Roll on THIS chart for your skill training. Roll THIS survival roll, and go to page XX if you fail. Choose promotion or commission and make one of THESE rolls. Roll on THIS event chart.

Simplified Careers

Yeah, yeah, the chargen rules aren't that hard to understand. But they are. I've been gaming since '79 and I've done some professional game editing and even I had trouble understanding the MgT chargen rules, which made me jump all over the place to understand what to do next.

I think that the MgT chargen rules could be greatly simplified without making play any less fun. Here's what I'd do with it.
  1. Choose a background from a list. Get a few skills at 0.
  2. Choose a career (e.g., Navy). You're level 0 in that career.
  3. That career offers you 6 standard characteristic arrays. Pick one or roll.
  4. Gain background skills for that career.
  5. Level up. Repeat until you reach the appropriate level. The referee will tell you what level character to make: probably 3 or 4.

The level-up process:
  1. Add 1 to your level.
  2. Choose a career path (e.g., Crew / Engineer / Gunner / Flight / Officer) for which you qualify (based on characteristics and skills).
  3. If it's your first time in that career path, gain one path background skill at 1. You choose from a list.
  4. Roll d6 on the skill training table for your path and add the number of times you've taken that path prior to this time (+0 the first time). Certain advanced skills for that path start at 7 on the chart. That adds +1 to a skill.
  5. Roll on a 2d6 events table for that path. Each event adds color to your life and offers you a choice and a skill. Some might offer characteristic bonuses.
  6. Roll on a 2d6 benefits table, too. Don't wait till the end to do this.

Hey, you can also use this level-up process for continued play. At certain story milestones, the referee can let everyone level up, but it might not make sense if you're Navy and you are no longer in service.

So we add rules for multi-classing. You can switch careers but it costs you. Basically, you spend your level-up to gain level 0 in a new career, but you get only one of the background skills for the new career, not all of them.

Now your ex-Navy 4 (Crew 2, Officer 2) can multi-class into Freetrader 0 class (total levels = 5). At level 6, he is Navy 4, Freetrader 1 (Captain 1).
You're reinventing 13mann's Liftoff, Adam...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I wrote this is 2006, if any of it is useful please take it.
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=10884

Warning - the formatting is all over the place and double posts abound.
Old October 30th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog

I'll have to go look at Liftoff again, but I'm pretty sure this isn't what I saw in the early documents. Anyone have a link to the current docs?
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Old December 15th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Disco Soup Citizen

I'm considering making a selection of small books that do something like this. They're designed to be combination of Dungeon World's playbooks with MgT-style careers. I know that the careers aren't open content, so instead I would create my own. They would be similar, "Soldier" instead of Army and so on, with very similar skills, but different benefits, events and mishaps. All of my events would give you a choice of what to do, instead of simply stating "You commit a crime, how do you get out of it?"

Each book is made to be filled out for a single character. Each event and mishap has a "serial number" that you read back to the ref as you generate. This serial number links to a secret about what "really happened" during that event, and ways the ref can use it in the story to reward or complicate the character's life.
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Soup View Post
Each book is made to be filled out for a single character. Each event and mishap has a "serial number" that you read back to the ref as you generate. This serial number links to a secret about what "really happened" during that event, and ways the ref can use it in the story to reward or complicate the character's life.
Very cool! I'd like to see that.

I don't understand why MgT character creation is so hard for some people, tho. There's a really nice checklist on page 5 in the Core Rulebook.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

Not since TNE, I took the playtest files and cobbled together Character creation, tasks and skills and the basics of combat. Then added the campaign introduction. Unfortunately creation was a hybrid process between digital and manual with all of the paste-up for reproduction being manual. So I can't point at a copy for y'all to look at.

I did have a GURPs GM do something simular but his books where all Handwritten and photocopied as well....