Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 0
Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+
Question Chargen for military campaigns

What are typical chargen solutions for military campaigns, where you want every character to be /current/ military?

The rules like to muster people out of service. Do you just muster out and then say "you didn't really muster out; that's just where you intersected with 'now'"?
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post
What are typical chargen solutions for military campaigns, where you want every character to be /current/ military?

The rules like to muster people out of service. Do you just muster out and then say "you didn't really muster out; that's just where you intersected with 'now'"?
That works as well as anything else I could think of. Maybe set a target for rank (or whatever), and stop chargen once the target is reached, or fiddle with the results to match that target when "muster out" is reached.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Why muster out at all, if still in service?

Unless you need to figure what money in savings the PCs have accumulated over the course of their careers (otherwise most will just have pocket money of current wages less any expenditures), or if they have neglected self-improvement during career terms and need to make that up in mustering out.

[Caveat: I may have a different view of mustering out than some, because unless you are at a service/rank combination that allows decent chances at ships or TAS or High Passage, I can't see any justification for ever not taking the maximum allowed cash rolls and the rest on self-improvement. Guns/Blades/Vaccsuits/Passages/etc are mere tools to be purchased as needed, seldom worth foregoing a cash roll!]
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
See that some mustering out benefits would be availabe and affect play even if they are still in service (such as INT, EDU or SOC increases, combat implants, repetitive benefits that convert to skills, etc...)

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Baron

Visit Limburger59's Blog
Limburger59 Citizen

Quote:
The beauty of Mercenary was that the PC's were all "retired" from the regular military before becoming members of a mercenary unit at different ranks than they might have previously held, and from a combination of different branches.

If you want a regular army or marine unit...
> Do you want all the characters to be commanding officers? That will probably involve ignoring some die rolls, including enlistment.
> Do you want all the PC's to be in the same platoon, SDB, squadron? Then some characters will be forced to stop at various enlisted ranks which will also involve ignoring die rolls. (No platoon will have five Captains...)

Go the Mercenary route, where the hard on his luck retired Major takes a job as E4 to stay out of debt, and needs to role play his bitterness.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Garyius2003 Citizen

I think for a unit you need to use the Mongoose point system, maybe require a rank and some core skills, and leave the rest up to the players.

A TL-13 or 14 ground/marine cadre, boarding, or stiffener squad will share most of the same core skills with one having also commo, one FO...tactics...demo...

A small ship will need vastly different skills, and if you are doing a large ship 'away' party there will be just a few required skills and lot of room for player choice.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:29 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Quote:
See that some mustering out benefits would be availabe and affect play even if they are still in service (such as INT, EDU or SOC increases, combat implants, repetitive benefits that convert to skills, etc...)
Of course, old Bean, and that was in the part of my post that you snipped:
Quote:
Unless you need to figure what money in savings the PCs have accumulated over the course of their careers (otherwise most will just have pocket money of current wages less any expenditures), or if they have neglected self-improvement during career terms and need to make that up in mustering out.

[Caveat: I may have a different view of mustering out than some, because unless you are at a service/rank combination that allows decent chances at ships or TAS or High Passage, I can't see any justification for ever not taking the maximum allowed cash rolls and the rest on self-improvement. Guns/Blades/Vaccsuits/Passages/etc are mere tools to be purchased as needed, seldom worth foregoing a cash roll!]
Quote:
combat implants
Yes, combat implants (if available) might be worth rolling for, along the same line as ships or TAS or High Passage, that the implants themselves might be both hard to come by as a civilian, and worth more than the cash you could get from the cash table.

Quote:
repetitive benefits that convert to skills, etc...)
Now that I would consider a waste of good Mustering Out rolls - for two rolls you could get a big wad of cash or improvement of two stats, or... a blade and a level of Blade skill - that is, IF you get "lucky" and roll Blade twice, otherwise you might just have a blade (Cr50) and an autopistol (Cr210). Plus, I'd never want to have to rely on such a combination of rolls to get a skill that I considered necessary for my PC; that should have been taken care of during career terms.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:22 AM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Are characters allowed to be hobo serial killers while still in the service? Hopefully they have lawyers as allies.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

Quote:

Military or not, the general concept of role playing out a character that is still in their career has come up.

The first thing to note is that chargen ends even if you start the game with characters still in their same career.

Unless you are just role playing an event from chargen then going back and doing more chargen, I'd say the following:

Benefits:
I'd say yes: Muster Benefit is a pretty poor term. The very first line in this topic is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rules
In the course of a character’s career
These benefits reflect the savings, implants, gear and characteristics they gained during their career.

Perhaps not benefit rolls for the current term if the concept is playing out an event for a term they are in the middle of.

Connections:
I'd say yes: As the rules state, you start making those connections during the events of your career. Go ahead and finalize them at the end of chargen.

Skill Package:
I'd say yes: It is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rules
Taking a skill package ensures that your group will at least have basic competency in the situations that will come up in the game.
so chargen is over and the adventure is starting. Why wouldn't you still do this?

Last edited by CosmicGamer; April 23rd, 2014 at 11:40 AM..
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:47 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
Are characters allowed to be hobo serial killers while still in the service? Hopefully they have lawyers as allies.
Militaries can reflect the personalities of their leadership, so quite a bit is possible.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)