Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old March 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
yamsi3467 Citizen
Default Just got the Core Rulebook for MGT...

Hi, all...

I just got my copy of the Core Rules for MGT, and I was looking at the World Creation section. When I got to the starport rules, on page 178 they mention downport and hightport (which I remember from the CT rules and supplements). The old CT rules state how do determine if a world has just a downport or both a downport and highport. All the MGT core rules say on the subject is that if population and tech level warrants it a planet will have a highport (paraphrasing). Is there something concrete and less vague about this that I am just missing?

Yamsi
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Visit HiverLord's Blog
HiverLord Citizen

I don't have the MGT rulebooks, but this is how I interpret it. (Take that for what it's worth, of course )

Any Starport of B or A class automatically has a highport if there are more than a few people on the planet. (In some cases, there may ONLY be a highport, but these tend to be very rare cases, I'd think).
Any C starport would have a highport only if the local population is at least 10million+, or if the planet has a lot of shipping (the world is predominantly agricultural or mining, and ships a lot of product off-planet, for instance.)

Also, planets with C+ starports which, in the referee's determination, are trying to limit offworlder contact with the local population (military rule, overbearing religious dictatorships, and the like), would tend to have one as well.

Hope this helps!
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

foxx Citizen

I might be committing heresy by mentioning it here, but Gurps Traveller Starports has a section on them that states:

"Almost all Class IV [B] and V [A] starports have an orbital facility. Most Class III [C] starports at TL8 [8] and above will have a highport. The highport serves primarily bulk, container, and LASH cargo, as well as transient passenger traffic." p60, Gurps Starports.

I would also think that a highport would be common for worlds with the various toxic atmosphere types or other UWP stats that would deter setting up a downport.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Dragoner Citizen-

Logically, all starports that could, would have a highport to handle the freight and traffic of unstreamlined ships.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoner View Post
Logically, all starports that could, would have a highport to handle the freight and traffic of unstreamlined ships.
Presuming all starports would see unstreamlined ship traffic sufficient to warrant it.

I don't recall a CT... actually any edition except GT, that specified where one would find high or down ports. Could be I'm just drawing a blank on it.

I'm sure I've noted house rules somewhere, likely based on Starport Type as others have, on the presumption (rightly so imo) that the better the starport the better the support and the more traffic it has, for whatever reason. I imagine MTU broke down something like:

Class A - Highport and Downport (and later added Outport - aka 100d transfer port)

Class B - Highport and Downport (just not enough traffic to warrant a separate Outport)

Class C - Downport (too off the regular runs to cater to unstreamlined ships, you better have your own small craft if you show up here in one)

Class D - "You call this a Starport?!" Yes it is technically a Downport but man if you expect anything better than poor surly service you are in for a rude awakening

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxx View Post
I might be committing heresy by mentioning it here, but Gurps Traveller Starports has a section on them that states:

"Almost all Class IV [B] and V [A] starports have an orbital facility. Most Class III [C] starports at TL8 [8] and above will have a highport. The highport serves primarily bulk, container, and LASH cargo, as well as transient passenger traffic." p60, Gurps Starports.

I would also think that a highport would be common for worlds with the various toxic atmosphere types or other UWP stats that would deter setting up a downport.
I tend to go with the GT definition, though I generally say that C ports also have refined fuel, no-overhaul repairs and a shipyard for small craft up to 200 tons.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Presuming all starports would see unstreamlined ship traffic sufficient to warrant it.

I don't recall a CT... actually any edition except GT, that specified where one would find high or down ports. Could be I'm just drawing a blank on it.

I'm sure I've noted house rules somewhere, likely based on Starport Type as others have, on the presumption (rightly so imo) that the better the starport the better the support and the more traffic it has, for whatever reason. I imagine MTU broke down something like:

Class A - Highport and Downport (and later added Outport - aka 100d transfer port)

Class B - Highport and Downport (just not enough traffic to warrant a separate Outport)

Class C - Downport (too off the regular runs to cater to unstreamlined ships, you better have your own small craft if you show up here in one)

Class D - "You call this a Starport?!" Yes it is technically a Downport but man if you expect anything better than poor surly service you are in for a rude awakening
[tangent] Outport? That's a new one on me, and one that I like. However, depending on the physics of Jump, how would you determine at which point on the 100D circle (assuming orbital plane; if not, sphere) to place the Outport? [/tangent]
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Outport? That's a new one on me, and one that I like.
It's been much discussed now and then, here and there. Though this might be the first time it's been called Outport

Basically by eliminating the need to maneuver between the mainworld and the 100d mark a lot of time can be saved over the year. Especially for larger mainworlds or if one chooses to factor some stellar effect.

Quote:
However, depending on the physics of Jump, how would you determine at which point on the 100D circle (assuming orbital plane; if not, sphere) to place the Outport?
While named singularly, like Highport and Downport, there may in fact be more than one. It would be dependent on the direction of the traffic that warrants it. If the need is only between two systems then only one Outport would be needed, and it would be relatively stationary (orbiting so to speak) between the two.

Outports would mostly be used only by large shippers, multi Kton transports, quite possibly without any maneuver drive and probably much like a commercial variant of a Battle Rider/Tender setup. A large jump frame hauling separate cargo ships (or even just cargo containers) to be taken by tug to the world, or transferred for further destinations. To take full advantage of the system requires regular traffic of high volume and long in system travel times. Loads need to be ready to go when eachTender arrives so it can be swiftly on it's way fully loaded while the flow of Riders in system would be pretty much steady.

It's not something one would see in every system, and not likely to be a stop for the characters and their small trader It's more a bit of colour and expansion from the small ship 'verse of LBB2 and the big ship 'verse of LBB5.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
It's been much discussed now and then, here and there. Though this might be the first time it's been called Outport

Basically by eliminating the need to maneuver between the mainworld and the 100d mark a lot of time can be saved over the year. Especially for larger mainworlds or if one chooses to factor some stellar effect.
I grasped the concept immediately - hence the liking.

Quote:
While named singularly, like Highport and Downport, there may in fact be more than one. It would be dependent on the direction of the traffic that warrants it. If the need is only between two systems then only one Outport would be needed, and it would be relatively stationary (orbiting so to speak) between the two.

Outports would mostly be used only by large shippers, multi Kton transports, quite possibly without any maneuver drive and probably much like a commercial variant of a Battle Rider/Tender setup. A large jump frame hauling separate cargo ships (or even just cargo containers) to be taken by tug to the world, or transferred for further destinations. To take full advantage of the system requires regular traffic of high volume and long in system travel times. Loads need to be ready to go when eachTender arrives so it can be swiftly on it's way fully loaded while the flow of Riders in system would be pretty much steady.

It's not something one would see in every system, and not likely to be a stop for the characters and their small trader It's more a bit of colour and expansion from the small ship 'verse of LBB2 and the big ship 'verse of LBB5.
That implies that Jump physics means "jump between two worlds (can) always result(s) in emergence relatively close to the same point in a system". I don't have any problem with that, nor am I anywhere near sufficiently versed in the canon of Jump physics to comment further.

And this would be akin to drop tanks in the sense that it is something you would see in a more settled, heavily-trafficked area, with more regular, high-tonnage merchant traffic. For that matter, an Outport could be a staging point for drop tanks, if you wanted to use the latter as well...
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:59 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Quote:
[tangent] how would you determine at which point on the 100D circle (assuming orbital plane; if not, sphere) to place the Outport? [/tangent]
I place my Highport in stationary orbit above the (primary) Downport. I'd simply extend that line to intersect the 100D circle/sphere, thereby minimising flight time between the 3 ports.