Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old December 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh
Default Babylon 5 Traveller preview of sorts in S&P 63

The latest issue of Mongoose's Signs and Portents online magazine has part 1 in a 14 part campaign adventure for use with the Universe of Babylon 5 book being published in December.

it takes place in the year 2266 and puts the characters in a role somewhat similar to that of the crew of the Excalibur from the short-lived Babylon: Crusade series; they are looking for a crew to the Drakh plague. The series is called "Legacy of War".

Among the interesting tidbits rules-wide in the first part:

- Destiny Points, which appear to be luck points similar to those found in other games, and can be spent to get out of bad situations or for success ar die rolls.

- NPC stats; they look fairly standard Traveller; the usual six attributes (I would have thought Soc might have been replaced with Charisma or some such), skills look similar etc.

- an Experience Point system for character advancement, including apparently awards given for character backgrounds. I predict this may be the most-appropriated thing from this book for campaigns in the OTU or other settings.

Allen

Last edited by Allensh; December 6th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: spelling errer...I mean, error
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

Budman Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
The latest issue of Mongoose's Signs and Portents online magazine has part 1 in a 14 part campaign adventure for use with the Universe of Babylon 5 book being published in December.

it takes place in the year 2266 and puts the characters in a role somewhat similar to that of the crew of the Excalibur from the short-lived Babylon: Crusade series; they are looking for a crew to the Drakh plague. The series is called "Legacy of War".

Among the interesting tidbits rules-wide in the first part:

- Destiny Points, which appear to be luck points similar to those found in other games, and can be spent to get out of bad situations or for success ar die rolls.

- NPC stats; they look fairly standard Traveller; the usual six attributes (I would have thought Soc might have been replaced with Charisma or some such), skills look similar etc.

- an Experience Point system for character advancement, including apparently awards given for character backgrounds. I predict this may be the most-appropriated thing from this book for campaigns in the OTU or other settings.

Allen
Destiny Points and Experience Point system for character advancement - well well well this just got my hopes up
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

While destiny points may make it into a game I run there will be snowballs in hell the day I use an XP system that makes a few weeks of gameplay make a character better than a few years of career lifepath generation

I'm really looking forward to this being released though

Last edited by mike wightman; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: not pressing the letter 'd'
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

rust Citizen

I could well imagine a kind of experience point system to give characters
certain benefits (e.g. contacts, equipment ...) in return for accumulated
experience points, but I would also not use a system that raises the cha-
racters' attributes or skill levels.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM

Gallery : 2
Valarian Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Valarian Send a message via MSN to Valarian

In the 2nd Edition d20 version of the game, there is Influence. This allows the character to use a network of contacts and gain use of equipment or services. It also allows bonuses to certain die rolls, representing the character drawing on their network of contacts to help influence the outcome. The MGT version of the game may have something similar.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM

rust Citizen

I would very much welcome such an Influence rule. In my BRP-Traveller-Mix
system I currently use a Status attribute for this purpose, but something
more elaborate would help to make the setting more interesting.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
While destiny points may make it into a game I run there will be snowballs in hell the day I use an XP system that makes a few weeks of gameplay make a character better than a few years of career lifepath generation

I'm really looking forward to this being released though
we don't know if this system will do that or not. It may take just as long to raise a skill or attribute, with just a more concrete way of tracking progress. We have not seen the system.

Allen