Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old December 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
So far the best thing about MGT is the getting rid of all the different die throws required for the different Traveller weapons. Now you just have one throw to make (8) plus quite a few DMs to reflect cover, weapon type, range, skill etc etc. That one thing removes loads of the inherently overly complex rules in the original Traveller.

The other ting is they seem to have reworked many of the concepts to streamline them whilst explaining properly the workings of the more complex issues. It just all seems to be so much more coherent, less of a faff, and more fun to play. I think Mongoose have saved Traveller from disappearing up its own backside.
In the original Traveller (as I have confirmed by just looking at the 1977 version of the rules) you made two die rolls; one to hit, one for damage. There were a number of modifiers that were applied to that roll but like a lot of the early RPGs, armor made you harder to hit rather than taking off damage points. The whole penetration thing didn't come along, as far as I know, until Striker and then Megatraveller (which I confess I never actually played that much, just read it).

I'm sure if I have erred here I will be corrected

Allen