Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 1st, 2008, 02:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
Abslom_Daak Citizen
Default What am I missing here?

Yes, it's quite long, but please stay with me.

I fully admit that when it comes to any politics, drama or etc. related to the Traveller franchise in all of its many forms I am very behind the times. Until about 2 months ago, I hadn't been exposed to anything Traveller for almost 3 decades and played my last paper/dice RPG almost as long ago. I have read-up on the GDW saga, the infamous "handshake", the various and dubious licensing methods that have emerged, (for better or worse), and all kinds of other 3 letter abbreviations that have led the game known as Traveller to where it is now. Anything Traveller-related that is presently for sale as a PDF, I have probably purchased and read. I have tried to assimilate all the 30-years of published Traveller history I could grok in 2 months, I am a crazy fool like that, understanding is everything.

I prefer PDF files, so I was planning on waiting for Mongoose to release the PDF of the latest Traveller incarnation, but today I figured I'd just scratch that itch right now, and drop by my local hobby shop to buy a dead tree version. The shop I visited was the very same one that has been there since I was a lad. The same grouchy fellow I knew from way back in my youth was actually still there, and looking no less exactly like the comic book store owner from the Simpsons cartoon.

"Sorry, we stopped selling anything made by Mongoose a couple years ago. You can try the comic shop on 3rd street downtown, they handle a lot of RPG items we won't."

After locating the address I am quickly off to this downtown comic shop in anticipation of acquiring my scratch, only to be thwarted by another store clerk with a similar message.

"Nope, no Mongoose stuff. We might have some old stuff of theirs still in the back, but we don't carry their books anymore."

The comic store clerk advises I check the big chain music/DVD/bookstore across town, "They sell games there.." he mentions. I already know where this chain store is, as I think to myself, why hadn't I thought of that first?

It didn't take long to locate an entire aisle of various RPG books, board games, dice, and what-not at the big chain bookstore, what was oddly missing however, was any single title from Mongoose.. After a quick stop at the store's information desk, I had another answer, but not the one I was looking for.

"I can probably order that for you, let's check the computer... hmmm. No.. wait... That's strange, I can see the publisher, but when I try to pull-up titles there aren't any, which means I can't order anything from that publisher. Do you have an ISBN?"

I smile, because I DO have an ISBN number and I hand it to her.

"Sorry, I cannot seem to find it, are you sure that is the correct number?"

Embracing defeat, I leave the store already knowing the ISBN I have is correct, and later, I am able to use it to order MGT online from a vendor who had it in stock, I should have it in 2-3 days.

Still with me? Good.

My question is: What the **** am I missing here? Did Mongoose pee in someone's cereal? Did I miss reading some critical PDF or web-based material? I am left with that strange feeling like I am that naive guy, the only one at the party that doesn't have a clue his present girlfriend is sleeping with everyone else in the room.

Last edited by Abslom_Daak; May 1st, 2008 at 03:08 AM..
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

rust Citizen

Mongoose sadly had a couple of problems with the quality of their books
(binding coming off, etc.) until not so long ago, many books had to be
sent back / replaced, and some shops obviously dislike the risk to have
to do such additional work.
At least that would be my explanation ...
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abslom_Daak View Post
My question is: What the **** am I missing here? Did Mongoose pee in someone's cereal? Did I miss reading some critical PDF or web-based material? I am left with that strange feeling like I am that naive guy, the only one at the party that doesn't have a clue his present girlfriend is sleeping with everyone else in the room.
Drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com with the two store's names and contact details, and we will see what we can do with them!
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

Rust has it right. The reason for the issues was that Mongoose tried to change over to in-house printing. They bought their own printer and fought a loosing battle against binding and cover issues. Unfortunately there was a noticeable drop in quality that has put off customers and some retailers.

They have now switched back to using external printers. There should be an immediate increase in quality. Whether this is enough to convince your local stores or not, Traveller and future Mongoose releases should all be fine.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Amazon have none in stock, but they say there are two people willing to sell used copies for over 100...
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

There is another issue:

Mongoose's lines are all niche markets (within an industry that is a niche market itself): Conan is the most mainstream. Bab5 is pretty large; Paranoia, Judge Dredd, Starship Troopers, and Runequest are well known bit players, and the rest of their lines are practically unheard of. If your local games stores' owners are not fans of any of these, it is far less likely they would carry them.

There is also the whole d20 bubble issue. Loads of d20 supplements and games were released that were total crap. Lots of retailers got stuck with a lot of rather unsalable product by "non-major companies"... and mongoose, while strong and growing, is still not a "major" company... and many of the surviving stores dropped the lesser companies as a matter of course.

So it really is no surprise to me that your LGS doesn't carry them.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

Abslom_Daak Citizen

My copy arrived today. Much credit is due to the people at Noble Knight games for having it in stock and getting it here today when I only ordered it last Thursday. The book came packaged very well-protected, and with no extra shipping charges to get it here in just 5 days.

However, IMHO, I should have just waited for the PDF version. For the $40 US retail price for this book, I am more than just slightly, shall we say, underwhelmed.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

As an example of "what you missed" I point at the following review, with attached commentary, of another recent Mongoose release:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=142322

Note that some of the people responding are store owners...

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The fan responses to the PDF's is similar.

The lack of correction/update to the RQ rules is telling.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Voodoo B Do It Citizen

Having been treated like dirt on their forums i don't have anything good to say about Mongoose publishing other than i no longer have any of your publications and i wont be buying ANY in the future.