Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old March 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-4

Gallery : 0
10harold66 Citizen
Default Basics?

Mongoose is publishing its version of Traveller

Marc Miller is publishing his version of Traveller

Been away from this for 25 years and am trying to catch-up. Started at Wikipedia, but I still don't understand something basic... if Miller "owns" the rights, how can Mongoose publish their own rules? I am obviously missing something basic here.

Or would someone be kind enough to point me to the post that definitively clarifies the situation?

Thanks!
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

casquilho Citizen

I think the part you are missing is that Marc Miller has given Mongoose a license for Traveller.

Daniel
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

There is also our own version T20 as well as GURPS Traveller if that helps confuse the issue more for you

We have all gotten a license to do so from Marc.
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-4

10harold66 Citizen

Thanks, folks. Did anyone else notice that there are still glitches with the character generation checklist preview that Mongoose released yesterday? Step 6c says if you fail your survival roll, you are to go back to Step 5 to continue your term. I had read also that the preview material they released is "The" material we'll see when the actual product hits the stores. Am I missing something glaring here again? I thought this would have been fixed by now.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Echo has disabled reputation

There is a slight issue in the wording there - what it means is you go back to step 5 for a new career (i.e. you don't get the free basic training for it, but you do still select a mission). Really it should state that you go back to step 3 and ignore step 4. I'm fairly certain this is explained in the book though, going on previous playtests.

Last edited by Echo; March 20th, 2008 at 01:34 PM..
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Gruffty's Blog
Gruffty Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
There is also our own version T20 as well as GURPS Traveller if that helps confuse the issue more for you

We have all gotten a license to do so from Marc.
.....don't forget TravellerHero as well.........
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

moout_diablo Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10harold66 View Post
Thanks, folks. Did anyone else notice that there are still glitches with the character generation checklist preview that Mongoose released yesterday? Step 6c says if you fail your survival roll, you are to go back to Step 5 to continue your term. I had read also that the preview material they released is "The" material we'll see when the actual product hits the stores. Am I missing something glaring here again? I thought this would have been fixed by now.
I also found a bothersome entry. In the starship preview, the listed damage for the fusion gun seems to have switched with the particle beam. In the playtest, the PB had a longer range and lower damage than the FG. There was a similar issue in the wording of the playtest for beam vs pulse lasers. I pointed that out to Mongoose pretty early. I'm hoping the editors caught these errors before they went to print.