Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Play by Post - OOC

Play by Post - OOC For Out of Character (OOC) discussion of the in-character threads.

Old June 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default Keeping a PBP moving along

Wanted to make a thread for people to suggest ways to help keep a PBP moving along.

CosmicGamers Suggestion #1
Include options as spoilers

This isn't an original Idea but I thought it was good and maybe it should be done more.

I'll Set the sceen: It's early morning and Mr. Patron (NPC) is sitting at a desk and has a cargo that he needs to be transported. Player Aay and his crewmate, both PCs are in chairs across from him.

Player Aay says "We can do it for fifty thousand. What do you say, we got a deal Mr. Patron?"

(Instead of stopping here and waiting for the GM to respond you could..)

waiting for his response I consider my options

If Mr Patron says yes:
Spoiler:
I slap my crewmate on the back and with a big smile "Outstanding!" then getting up I reach across the desk offering my hand to Mr. Patron. "I need to work out some details with the crew, but I'll get back to you later today to arange a pickup time for that cargo."

If Mr. Patron says no:
Spoiler:
Player Aay looks angry and shaking his head from side to side says "Thats too bad. Good luck finding some suckers to do it for less!" and starts heading for the door.

If Mr Patron has a counter offer:
Spoiler:
"hmmm..." I look over to my crewmate to judge his reaction.

(of course, you may not think of all the options, like

If Mr Patron stalls: (needs time to think about it, consult his boss)
Spoiler:

with a bit of a scowl "You know how to get a message to us and don't take too long, there are other jobs we could be looking into."

If you are the person that needs to act, in this case the GM, you should not look at the spoilers until after you act. If when you post your response it is one of the options/spoilers, you can open that spoiler and add (copy&paste) the appropriate reactions to your post and add to it without having to wait for the person.

If player Aay gave no options you would get:

When Mr. Patron hears your offer he immediately responds "50,000, I'm certainly not going to pay that"

With the options you could get:

When Mr. Patron hears your offer he immediately responds "50,000, I'm certainly not going to pay that"

Player Aay looks angry and shaking his head from side to side says "Thats too bad. Good luck finding some suckers to do it for less!" and starts heading for the door.

Mr. Patron stands up from his desk and says "No, wait, wait. Let me crunch some numbers and get back to you."

Aay, with a bit of a scowl says "You know how to get a message to us and don't take too long, there are other jobs we could be looking into."

As he sits back down, Mr. Patron says "Yes, of course. I'll let you know one way or the other before midday."

About an hour before midday Aay will recieve a message from Mr Patron with a counter offer of 40,000

If you agree to Mr Patrons counter offer:
Spoiler:
Mr Patron asks to meet with you at his office to sign some paperwork

If you decline Mr Patrons offer
Spoiler:
Mr Patron will hesitantly offer 44,000 and say "thats my final offer"

If you try to negotiate with Mr Patron
Spoiler:
Note from CosmicGamer - I don't know how GMs would handle this - if they would make rolls using stats and determine how high the PCs would be able to get Mr. Patron to go...

Quite a bit more content with each player making just one post don't you think?

Of course this requires a degree of trust that players will not peek, or if they do see something they shouldn't they will still roleplay and not reject the counteroffer knowing now that Mr Patron will continue to negotiate.

If the person reacts in a way you didn't expect you've waisted some time, but I think it's a good exercise in considering how your character would react to different situations and will help you get into roleplaying them.

See THIS LINK for how to create the spoilers.

Last edited by CosmicGamer; June 5th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: made sections bold and spelling added options for the GM to give too

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.